Tennessee

Pics
Quote:
Oh well, it is too late for that! You are already on BYC! No turning back now! This time next year you will have 100 chickens and maybe a few other varieties of fowl.
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Crocus love the snow! LOL My iris's are coming up! And I know they hate the snow! I spent most of the day yesterday going into the woods collecting leaves to mulch the dickens outta all the iris's all over the property to try to protect them. I have about 1000 iris's trying to come up so let me tell you it was a heck of a job!

I was also alone all day yesterday as my husband had to take our grandson to Children's hospital in Nashville and I had to get ready for this storm. Boy am I out of shape!! I was lugging hay bales, emptying pools for the ducks and geese and refilling them so they'd have fresh, clean water before the storm hit. Cleaning coops, duck & goose houses, parrot cages, you name it. I literally fell into bed last night with everything aching!

Boy do I appreciate my husband! LOL

Stay safe with this storm coming!

Laurie

Well, looks like we're in for another round of snow and possibly ice! They're saying 4" to 8" where we live. My porch is piled up with stove wood. Just put a new catalytic combustor in the old Dutchwest Wood Stove so we'll be staying warm anyway.

I don't have any chickens yet. I'm just at the beginning stages of building my coop, almost got the floor built. 8' x 10' coop. I've bought a really nice 6-lite steel door and a 40"x40" vinyl casement window at Home Depot that was on clearance. Window was a $300 window for $85 and the door was a $300 door for $142. I need to find me a couple more windows at a deal, I plan on providing plenty of light and ventilation. Now in the market for a piece of good heavy vinyl for the floor.

Hope everyone stays safe and warm during this winter storm.

Ron

20 chickens=chicken crazy
lau.gif
gig.gif
I remember those days.We started with 6 not very long ago it seems.Now,we are building the second breeding barn when this !!##**!! weather quits.
he.gif
We have the generators tested and ready to go later today.Ever since MTEMC made their lines "better" they can't keep the power on in any wet weather.My bators are full and ready to hatch this weekend so no chances.We are looking at 4-9" being reported now and possible ice this morning but haven't seen that yet so hopefully it holds off and just snow.Wait that sounds so wrong "hopefully snow" H no... hopefully 80 degrees and sun(one can always wish)
For all of our new chicken people here..I have over 100 that are going to be looking for a new address real soon...125 chicks in the next 2 weeks alone.BTW that was only a public service announcement not trying to sell over here on this board
cool.png

Now in the market for a piece of good heavy vinyl for the floor.

Duke, last time I checked Hall's Salvidge in Alcoa had very heavy vinyl. Check to see if they have some short pieces - or check Habitat store.

WTN weather, we have some ice and its sleeting. Looking at the radar from over in AR we're going to get hammered.

I hate it for your chickens. I have a question. Ive read on your post that they wont really forage on days like this. But do yall turn on a light or something in your hen house to help keep them warm? Will they lay in winter weather?

Thanks,
Sarah

Quote:
Hi Sarah! I have a nite light in my shed so I know the power is working, and a very small ceramic heater. When we expect temps in the teens or lower I close the pop doors and turn on the heater. The heater can only get the temp about 10 degrees above the outside temp at night, but I have banties and some 8 week old chicks, so that 10 degrees seems to help. When the sun shines in the windows during the day it actually gets somewhat pleasant inside, even if it's 20 outside.

Some of my girls are laying, some (my spoiled millies) are waiting for spring
sad.png

Well, we have wood piled up, plenty of food, and DH got out the sheds. He insists he and I are going sledding tomorrow.
I insisted on priming the Brinsea for some eggs that are coming. He's not entirely happy about that. What til I get out the Brower to prime IT for some eggs that are coming.
lol.png

Radio just said flurries have been spotted in Knoxville!
"Here comes the snow.. tada da da da... Here's comes the snow... And I say... It's alright... ta dadada dadada dadadada da...."

Quote:
Sorry about that! The power of the prayer of thousands of little kids is working against you. Right now it looks like snow for 24 hours at a minimum.

I'm kinda grateful for the snow, though. It will help insulate the coop and keep my birds warmer.

Back
Top Bottom