Tennessee

Pics
We're busy every Saturday morning getting out sometimes earlier than noon. Anytime after noon would be fine just as long as I had time to get home, put up any veggies not sold and grab whatever I've fixed to bring to the picnic. Sundays are good too though. I'm flexible......

Last edited:
sorry, it posted twice!
hmm.png

Last edited:
smile.png
Hey, everyone! I just wanted to let you all know that the Volunteer State Poultry Club will be having it's spring sale/swap in Dickson on the 3rd Saturday in May, which will make it on May 15th. Usually gets started a little after 7:00 for those setting up to sell, and ends when everyone decides to pack it in and call it a day. Off I-40, take Exit 172 onto Hwy 46 North toward Dickson. Go about 2 1/2 miles down the road and you will see the sale set up at the old log cabin on Hwy 46 on the right. See you there!
wee.gif

Thank God it has finally stopped raining in Montgomery county!!!! I have been glued to the TV today watching the flooding in Middle Tennessee. We have had 16+ inches of rain, the Cumberland river is coming out of it's banks, all the creeks are overflowing, the Red river is flooded, but the worst news for us is all the floodwater from the region will come through the Cumberland river so it will be several days before it crests. Hope you are all okay out there. Thankfully, my home is on top of a nice big ridge!

POURING buckets here in McMinn County now. I bet my seeds aren't in rows anymore.

Side note: I got some 8-9 week old Barred Rock cockrels. Someone take them. Like I mentioned... I'm in McMinn County and durring the weekend I could even meet you out near the interestate if you wanted to take one (or two or three). Pick up only, of course.

I will be keeping two, but the rest either have to go or I will eat them in a few weeks. I posted on craigslist, but no one ever seems serious enough to even meet me halfway. I figure you all are chicken people. I don't care if you all eat them... I just could really use the room now. Thanks! Oh, and they are pretty well tempered, actually... so if you aren't going to be eatting them and just need a roo or want a roo....... well... PM me. (PSST... they are free)

Quote:
smile.png
Whereabouts in Montgomery county are you located? Our farm is in Vanleer, which is in neighboring Dickson county. We are only about 25-30 minute drive from Clarksville. Glad to hear you are safe and on high ground! Our farm is located right across Hwy 49 from the fed wetlands....can you guess that our entire front pastures were completely flooded yesterday? Our house sits up high on a hill and we have a very long driveway that circles around the hill to the house and comes back down the other side. Yesterday the foot of the hill and drive were covered with 4 feet of water. This morning the drive was clear. The wetlands was flooding over the highway and spillway onto our property across the road. Very dangerous. Things are getting better here, though.

I do believe i have seen your farm! I live in extreme southern Montgomery county, about 3 miles from the dickson county line. It has been a very long and crazy weekend hasn't it?

Quote:
It didn't happen to be a white phoenix, did it?
I personally had to save that bird once and then saw another person do it a second time because it kept getting its head turned sideways and stuck in the bars on its cage.
barnie.gif

What a pity.
hu.gif

I had a great time at the show!! Everyone was super nice and when I explained to folks that I was just learning, they were very open and honest about the pros and cons of each breed. I'm always open, but I'm very interested in the brahmas, austalorps, orps, and sussex (for disposition and dual-purposefullness). Here's the issue...everything at the show was SQ, so they were all GIANORMOUS.
ep.gif
I really need to see what run-of-the-mill specimens look like. I would really appreciate it if folks that have these breeds would post some pics, especially with other birds, so I can really guage how big they are.

Thanks,
Justin

We were at the show too, wish I had known some fellow BYCers were there! It would have been great to meet y'all. We didn't stay very long, just walked around and drooled over all the beautiful birds for a bit. I would love to have Orpingtons that big
ep.gif
I know I have pics of my Buff Orps but I can't find them on my computer
hu.gif

Quote:
big_smile.png
You live very close to where I live, so I am sure that you have seen our place. Down at the road the big barn has SPRING CREEK FARM painted across the front in green letters and back behind our house, you can very easily see the pole barn that my husband built that has BASSES painted across the back in letters that are like 6 feet tall! I do not know what possessed him to do that, I came home one day and saw that from the road and got up to the house as quickly as I could only to find the painter finishing up on the last letter! Hard to miss us, huh? What all kind of chickens, etc. do you have? Oh, and yes, very crazy weather. At the foot of the hill, we had planted a whole patch of yukon gold potatoes that were already well up so we will probably end up losing those!
hmm.png

We have had rain the past 2 days.
Been watching the News.. too many floods.
but thankfully its just mud for us.nothing floating...

Karen, Yes I did find a home for Blue Orp..roo.
Where is the Amish Sale you go to?

Back
Top Bottom