Tennessee

Pics
OK TN Lou, did you take any home?

I'm so glad you went and had a good time. Those people are really nice. Did you get to drive through the farms? I'm amazed at their ingenuity in getting things done. You know under their produce building is a concrete cellar and their veggies are brought there and kept cool and then taken up into the market as needed.

Leah, did you notice the packages of seeds they sell - lots of heirloom seeds. And they grow a melon like a cantaloupe they call a Specialty melon - it is the sweetest I've ever tasted. Too early for those, of course.

Can you tell I love the place? We drove down there one Sunday and the boys and girls were out walking, some down the railroad track, some riding in buggies - it's so peaceful. I think they recognize our car now. I love that lifestyle, but I'd hate to give up my AC and TV. Oh well, so much for that lifestyle. LOL

Quote:
yep! i bought some spaghetti squash seeds since i forgot to order those. hopefully i'll get them in the ground tomorrow.

eta: finally hatch count was 5. i cracked the last 4 and found 3 duds and one fully formed chick that must have died before it could even break the air cell. so, with that one and a almost fully developed one that got broken several days ago, i had 7 out of 12 viables, with a 5 out of 12 hatch rate... not spectacular, but more than i expected.

so, that puts me at 32 chickens, 4 turkeys, and 2 geese...

Last edited:
bibliophile birds wrote:

To take the chicken crazy gold metal, assuming 50% hatch rate, that will give me forty birds in June and I got the first one in March.....

just so you know, i have a spare cot in the barn when you're wife throws you and the chickens out....​

I have to amend my award nomination....

I went to my papaw's today and he let me in on a little surprise. I've been sending a dozen eggs each week to he and my mamaw and he always asks if they had been refrigerated yet. Turns out he's been setting all the ones that I hadn't chilled so today he gave me seven three-week-old EEs and showed me another dozen that are about a eight days old. I have to get them next week end. That will make ~ 60 chickens in three months. My wife is not happy with either of us. To make things worse, my kids have jumped in with both feet. They've learned how to pick up all the chicks, even the two-month-old Aussies; they've each built their own little brooders out of my scraps; and the eleven-year-old has started charting breeding patterns. Now he wants his own BYC account.....any chance that cot's a king sized?!?!?!?​

Quote:
No i didn't buy any birds but did buy produce and toured the farm.I have seen many omish farms in Wisconsin but you can't ride through like we did there.Really enjoyed it will return.Next month i will be going to the sale in Troy Ohio

Quote:
ahahahahaha! well, maybe we can drag out the tent for the kiddies!

eta: if they like cleaning coops, they can come to live with me right this minute.
wink.png

Last edited:
Sorry BB, possum gets the prize. Justin, you've got one sneaky papaw. Hope he's ready to take you and the kids in when the wife throws you out.

Tn Lou - glad you enjoyed it. Are you taking chicks to sell in Ohio, or just going to look?

Alright, this one's for you Mid-staters...now that my papaw's gone to Delano, he wants me to take him to an Amish community in "Muddy Pond". Apparently it's somewhere around Crossville, but I've never heard of it. Does anyone have any information on its location or any produce/livestock sales that may take place there?

Thanks,
Justin

Back
Top Bottom