Tennessee

Pics
We didn't get enough rain to save my yard. Flowers are outright dead, veggies are following, some sapling trees may not come back at all... and I had ALOT this year. I don't even want to think about it really. It's depressing. Some of those trees are outright RARE and hopefully will come back. watering them just isn't enough sometimes. Ground is cracked so wide I think I could lose a bantam in there! lol. Seriously, I don't remember the ground being cracked that wide before. Geesh it's dry.

We have extra Bantam Cochins..I know there is no such thing but the D'Uccle's need a place to live.They need lots of space so they don't step on each others feathers and trip them
gig.gif

We ended up with about an inch and 2/10s of rain yesterday evening into last night. I'm very thankful that we got that much, but we are still way behind. Our garden looks MUCH better today and the yard doesn't crunch quite so much when we walk on it.

Yeah, anyone around Columbia!!!

We're coming down next week for the Little League state tournament and I need some heads up. I've got two adults and four kids to feed and entertain for (hopefully) a week. Any insight on attractions or hole-in-the-wall eateries that only locals know about would be appreciated.

If anyone on here just happens to have a kid playing, let me know and we'll try to meet up at a game or something.

Thanks,
Justin

Hi, I'm in middle Tn. and my husband and I bought 6 (Silver-Lace Wyndotts) and 3 (New Hampshire Reds) pullets and were given a (Buff Orpington) rooster the first of april. They had just started laying. We are very pleased with them. We would like to have more of a mixed flock. What other breeds are good layers of large brown eggs? I think maybe we paid a little to much for them ($10.00) each but we wanted some real bad. We are retired and wanted something to do that we both enjoy.
After we bought them we stopped by the feed store for feed and they had the cutest baby ducks. We got 2 of them and are wondering how to tell the sex of the them. They are a little less than 4 months old. If they are female how old do they have to be before they start laying? I wanted to post a picture of the ducks but don't know how.

Last edited:
In my mixed flock, I have Barred Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons, as well as Black Australorps. All are good layers, take to the cold weather very well (and manage the heat, too). Sorry, can't help with your ducks. Good luck with your flock and welcome to our craziness.

Quote:
As far as posting pictures, you can open an account with photobucket or imageshack. Upload your pictures there then copy the forum link and paste them onto your post here. It's more complicated than just uploading from your computer especially if you have dial up like I do and it takes extra time to wait for the extra pages to load, then the extra time to wait for an upload just to post a pic.
As far as the good layers, I have a production red that lays a huge brown egg every day all year around. My others are Americaunas, Phoenix and silkies which aren't reliable at all. The Americauna's lay in the warmer months and stop in the winter as well as the other two but the Phoenix and Silkies stop in the heat also. So spring and fall for the Phoenix, well mine anyway. Silkies go broody and stop laying till their eggs have hatched.

Welcome flock tender,

we have bantam cochins and they lay
summer winter spring and fall. But his month
a few are doing nothing at all.
gig.gif

but I luvm just the same.
and everyone deserves a vacation once in a while.
idunno.gif

also have silkies, Ameraucanas ,orps.only 6 weks old.
hatched from our own.
p.s.
Heard about golden Comets , being good brown layers.
I will have to get a few and see for my self.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom