Tennessee

tn.lou :

Hey all, my flock is now NPIP Certified also tested Neg. for Avian flu.so to keep my certification i can no longer buy and sell at trade days or flea markets.I can only do business with other certified breeders. Is anyone else in this area certified?

I've been thinking about NPIP but am on the fence over it.

Do you still organize swaps at the feed store?​

Quote:

Do you still organize swaps at the feed store?

I'm torn too (NPIP)... one hand it is limiting selling (more directly... shipping) birds, but on the other I don't (I really, really don't) like the idea of there being a government list of my birds. I won't go into all my convicted beliefs in the forum... but simply put... I'm on the fence too.
wink.png

I have my birds tested for 2 reasons.
#1. So I know all is safe with my flock and they are healthy.
#2. Lots of people won't buy unless they are PNIP certified and I like to be able to say they are.

I have more birds than I did when they where tested last so it's good to be getting it done again. I am working on getting silkie, buff orphington and different breeds of quail pen going and selling their eggs. It helps the buyers to know that they are getting eggs from healthy birds.

Quote:

I'm torn too (NPIP)... one hand it is limiting selling (more directly... shipping) birds, but on the other I don't (I really, really don't) like the idea of there being a government list of my birds. I won't go into all my convicted beliefs in the forum... but simply put... I'm on the fence too.
wink.png

Yup. DH and I talked about that very thing earlier this evening.
Serious lack of trust in the common sense of our government....

Well, emvickery.... I see your side... but you can test your birds yourself for peace of mind. The kit is $60 or so, so being NPIP isn't the only way to test.

As far as people buying eggs... it really depends on the person. Tennessee, as I read it, allows selling hatching eggs without NPIP but does not allow shipping birds. THAT said... there are all sorts of things they never check up on. I think that is one of them..... I don't ship either way. I don't think I would even if I was certified. I couldn't stomach the worry.

I really don't want to get into politics, but wegotchickens is right... serious lack of common sense. The less the govt. is in my buisness, the better. That's all, really. However, it gets to a point where you have so many chickens and you do so much breeding that maybe you should. (or is that just what they want you to believe?
tongue.png
)

wegotchickens: i thought it was about time i showed you a pic of the lovely Silkie girls i got from you. they have turned out beautifully! they are so little- Hansel looks like a big ole rooster next to these dainty little dolls! as far as i can tell, they are all females. none of them has showed the least inclination to crow... so, i guess you've got a pretty good eye for Silkie sexing.

continuing my literary naming theme (and the fact that the first Silkies were named after characters from folk tales): Goldilocks (front center), Belle (back left), and Cinderella (back right)
40203_146315512057320_138871089468429_287852_4876869_n.jpg

Last edited:
I am not trying to get fancy,I am at the point that I don't like what I have been seeing at the Flea Markets and some of the trade days and swap meets.So I figured if I do this it will make me improve my operation and bird quality.As far as the gov. goes I don't think I gave them any info that they don't already have.I will still go to swap meets and trade days I just won't be buying any birds,as for the meets at Cracker Barrel I am waiting on the next one ,any idea of a date? There is going to be one in Maggie Valley on sept 18th but I think I will be at the fair show that day Bummer!!

Quote:

No the feed store lost their Nutrena dealership so they only sell corn gluten now and they also sell some chickens of their own which are not of the best quality or condition and I don't want to be associated with that.

Back
Top Bottom