Tennessee

Sheaviance, I'm sorry you aren't able to enjoy the snow day with your little boy. Kids just grow up too fast! My neice is now almost 2!!! Where's the time go? I remember holding here the morning she was born
smile.png

Nellabean, those dogs really enjoy the snow!

Okla, I never thought of the wild birds not being fed! I now feel bad because I would get mad at the birds eating my cat food, I guess they're welcome to it because DH wouldn't allow me to buy bird seed.

Jen, the pens are fine. I decided I'd cut the stuff down so as to prevent anything from falling down and this spring we'll redo it.

cybercat, thats a pretty fine looking rooster you got there. 8 inches is alot of snow! BE CAREFUL and take your time walking to mailbox (or heck just let the mail pile up) and chicken house!

Believer, my chickens refuse to walk around on a snow day as well, and that is why I have to move water bowls inside otherwise they'd just stand in the coop and stare at the water bowls.

As requested, some photos of the snow!

this was the back steps when we opened the door to feed the chickens!
55886_001.jpg

55886_007.jpg

55886_002.jpg

Quote:
Mine was $60 no heat lamps and a wood stove!!!!!!!

Well DH told me that the furnace works by blowing air across a resistor (heating thing) and that's why it uses so much energy... We had installed a gas heat/ac unit but then something stopped working (fan I think, there was a more technical name for it) and now it won't do either. We also have to continuously turn our heat up, our tv puts out alot of heat and the tv sits right underneath the temperature control box. So, when its like 63 in here the temp behind the tv reads 67 and we'll turn the heat up to 71 to keep it at a more comfortable temp.

For the hawks, try a package of the little firecrackers that go "pop, pop" ten or twenty times. One pop is "oh, they missed me". Multiple pops are "they're zoning in on me!". Or at least that's my theory.

My mother had a hawk lounging in the oak tree over her covered chicken run. It was studying the netting and deciding on a way in. Mom quietly got her high velocity water hose nozzle. Even on a warm day, hawks do not appreciate a bath.
wink.png
When Mom got tired of pointing the hose at him, she called my brother to carry on. The hawk finally got the message that the bath was NOT going to end as long as he sat there.

Stranglover, try pointing a small fan towards the thermostat. You want the air to move around and do its "heat exchange" thing. The easier the heat exchange can happen, the more even the temperature in your room. At least that's my working theory. At this moment I've got a fan at the top of the foyer, blowing down the stairs. Otherwise we end up with a sunny spot that is much warmer right beside the thermostat. I run various fans all year long. If I wasn't worried about missing the big chickens screaming for help (darn canine varmits!), I'd have a fan in my doorway to drown out the Christmas Babies and their all night parties!

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I have no fans that are small enough, just box fans and they're too noisy. I think we'll tough it out until spring. We had to move the thermostat back to where it is (we did move it when we put the new ac/heater) but where it is will have to do for now, hopefully come spring we can fix the unit. I'm hoping in another year or 2 to have an acctual house, instead of a single wide anyway. We're waiting for DH's dad to buy the land we bought from him back (we bought it so he wouldn't lose his house), he's supposed to have a court date in April that'll help him pay off all his debts... We're hoping as soon as he buys it back we'll be out of debt and start looking at either building or buying a house.
fl.gif
I'm soo tired of having no room, another reason why we're holding off on having any kids!

CC Chicken Mom thanks! That's a great idea. Will hafta find some firecrackers as soon as this 'snow event' passes and I can get out.

Abhaya - loved the pics on your page ---- especially the chicken/kitten hug! That was awesome. You must be mighty fast with that camera!

CityGirl I do love your coops! Have the girls quit fussing at you yet?

For everyone who's cold remember that we loose 30% of our body heat thru our head so stick a cap on! Remember the bedcaps and mobcaps in the old pictures? That's what folks were doing a lot of the time...that or trying to keep the dirt and bugs out.....hiding a bad hair day.....stashing an extra sticky bun or two
lol.png

Hello fellow Tennessean Chicken addicts!!!

Moved to East TN in July 2010 and have been very busy getting my hobby farm together. This is my first time logging into BYC since the move. So I FINALLY wanted to say Hello and see how many new friends I might have in my area - I'm just North of Carthage TN.

I also just bought my first incubator (little gaint) and hoping to find some one in the area I can buy hatching eggs from.

welcome-byc.gif
back especially to the TN board..your real close to some crazy chicken people "they" are I'm not though I'm insane ask most they will agree
gig.gif
I'm not far from Carthage and have eggs..right now mostly Olive Eggers My FBCM roo with mostly Amerauacana hens-and 2 EE in there or mixes which would have several Blue Rocks and EE in them. It won't be long before we will have more breeding pens together..or if you can't wait we also have chicks for sale
We are having a get together this Sat in M'Boro would love to have you join us but warning...it could get crazy Me,Jen, Anne and a bunch more all in one room without our other half which keeps us under control
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
True that! At this point we have 11 crazy chicken ladies coming to play and if Cindiloo shows up it will be 12+ of us taking over the mexican place. Whoohoo!!! Come play with us if you can. Coming from Carthage would be a bit of a trek, but it should be entertaining enough to make up for it.
smile.png
Plus, you could probably talk Holly (hbuehler) into bringing you some eggs so you can fire up that bator! She has AWESOME birds!
big_smile.png

I don't have anything pure laying right now and I'm not real sure about fertility anyway. Both roosters are coming out of a molt. Anything you got from me would be barred rock x ameraucana EEs or random mutt silkies from the banty pen. All of my pure pens have stopped for winter. Brats.
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom