Tennessee

No, the coops are not insulated. The silkies need it warmer, so I put a heat lamp up for them. I put a 75 watt light near the waterer to keep it from freezing. :)

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

I don't see the reason to insulate a chicken coop unless you live in a state with harsh winters, mine is just 2x4's covered with 7/16" osb plywood and I had breeds that weren't considered cold hardy and they've done just fine and we had a LOT of snow this year!

Ours are insulated and it helps a ton in the Summer...so many think insulation only helps in the winter but well insulated also helps them from the sun warming the coops in the summer.Our coops are often several degrees cooler inside than out in the sun during the summer. In the winter it just keeps them more comfortable as well.Yes,they can do fine without it but they also do well with being a few degrees warmer...leghorn's especially like being a bit warmer.The big thing not to forget is the ventilation

Hi-
smile.png
I have just moved down here from NJ and have moved in with my daughter (dixieland) and ave caught chicken fever! I went from being afraid of the chickens to playing with all of them everyday and spending most of my spare time out with them. We live just outside of Carthage in Smith County... Jes wanted m to join this to learn more and meet other chicken lovers.....I just met HappyMtn, and she is a super lady! Hope to meet more of you soon!

Carolyn aka dixieland's mom

welcome-byc.gif
from middle TN wow from NJ what a culture shock eh
smile.png
I moved here from western NY 12 yrs ago but have only been raising chickens for 1 1/2 yrs yes it's very addicting there are a few others out that away too hbuehler is in Lebanon and raven1 is in Carthage a great bunch of people here

ya.gif

My Mom is having blast here in TN. It is a culture shock, but a good culture shock......I had no idea she would take to the chickens like this, but am thrilled.

Thanks for making her feel welcome
D.gif

I do miss the pizza from NJ, the pizza here is just different then I'm used to
hmm.png

But I love the wide open space and all of the friendly people here.

dixieland's mom :

I do miss the pizza from NJ, the pizza here is just different then I'm used to
hmm.png

But I love the wide open space and all of the friendly people here.

Yes I go back home once a yr and gain 10 lbs on just the food YUMMY but there are some good foods here too and yes the people are awesome
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm....Pizza, bread, italian lunch meats and cheeses and tastykakes are what I miss the most. But the people and the clean fresh air more then make up for it..I have been here almost 9 years, and wouldn't trade it for the world.....Oh except for one thing- tornados...They scare the %*&# out of me.........I wish I could get used to them.......Trying to get a handful or terriers and several handfuls of chickens into our 'safe place' can be challenging!!!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom