Tent Catipillers

Bird Lady

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 12, 2012
Northern California
Does anyone know if these nasty tent catipillers ( army worms ) are a hazard to chickens? Or how I can safely rid of them, They are in tree that overhangs their run. I know they can be poisonous to horses.
Thanks

If possible, I try to cut off the section of branches where they are and burn it. Failing that, I use a propane torch on a stick to carefully burn it! I prefer to use as few chemicals as possible. I haven't tried a soap or horticultural oil spray, don't know if it may work.
As far as poisonous, I don't know. I have used them as fish bait with limited success.

I didn't know they were poisonous. I see that the eastern tent catepillar can cause pregnant mares to abort.

I usually wait till dark, when they are back in the nest/tent. Then I cut the branch(s) put the entire thing in a garbage bag, tie it closed and dispose of in trash. I recall several years ago that we were told to not recycle then in yardwaste.

Imp

I tried some "green" soap type stuff, found three nests of them. I hope it works. I was thinking torch or cut and burn. Those darn things are GROSS! On a brighter note, my buffs are spending their first night out in the coop, they loved being outside today. Needless to say this mama is nervous :) Love the Chief Seattle quote, Im heading to Pikes Market in August. Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom