Terramycin Amounts

Falcon

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Tennessee
How much should be put in a gallon of water. I'm not sure how the milligrams translates to miilimeters, tbs, etc. Not really sure i should give it at all. I have 1 small one that is either picking on the other chicks or ducks, or laying face first. Ist experience with chicks

Welcome to the board. If they have no infections, and no injuries, there is no reason to give antibiotics, because that will create drug resistant bacteria that you won't be able to kill when they really get sick. Best leave them to build immunities and be strong as adults.

You say they are picking? Is there enough heat and space? Describe temps and set up of brooder from top to bottom and age of birds and we can give you an idea of what might be going on.

For the first few weeks, when they are sleeping, they can look pretty dead all stretched out and face in food and so on.

Aluminum box 16 in. deep, 25 in wide, 42 in long. 250 watt heat lamp clipped on and a third of the top covered with plywood. Its inside my garage which stays about 60 degrees. the inside of their box is much warmer. 2 ducks and 5 chicks. 2 feeders and gallon waterer. Pine shavings. I got the ducks 2 days ago and the chicks yesterday. { Tractor Supply had just picked them up at the post office and they were not sure of the age. }

Well, as long as it's at least 95 in there for the chicks it should be ok. Chicks need heat longer and hotter than ducks from what I have heard. I have not raised ducks so hopefully someone can chime in.

Many say it is not good to keep chicks with ducks because ducks can over dose on chick starter, and duck food often has too much protein for chicks. Ducks are also much damper and chicks chill and get sick easily when they get wet.

What exactly is the problem besides picking? Is it malicious picking or curiosity picking? Baby chicks will "taste" everything including their brooder mate's eyes in the first week of life.

I really think it is more curiosity pecking. I was concerned for the little one because the rest seem to be more robust in size and activity. Of course it would be my grandson's pick. I noticed that his poop had clumped and dried in a hardball. So moistened the area and was able ito scrape it off. He may be small and I thought that might hold hom back. But he will pretty well go pick on the rest. Maybe he just has a chip on his shoulder. I plan to separate the ducks tomorrow.

Sounds like a plan! Best of luck and I hope you have fun while here.

Sometimes the little guy can be the spunkiest. If someone does become lethargic or is getting pushed from a feeder, may want to make a temp brooder for them, but you only have a few so I doubt that will be a problem.

Enjoy! It's addictive. :p

Back
Top Bottom