Terrible, horrible, no good, very bad rooster.

View attachment 1733557
Meet Debbie. We thought he was a girl when he was young because he was a little behind the other cockerels in coloring and such, hence the name Debbie. Debbie is, to put it lightly, a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad rooster. He’s the beta of the flock and has, thus far, attacked me (his favorite person to try to spur), both of my sisters, my boyfriend, my sister’s boyfriend, and my cousin whom he had never met before. He luckily has very short and dull spurs, however my patience has grown thinner with time. Today he has finally done the one thing I said would guarantee his demise: he broke skin. I was giving scratch to everyone, with some poultry conditioner added because my old highschool’s ag day is coming up and my sister and I plan to take some of my chooks to show the kids. All I did was walk around him, I wasn’t even looking at him, and he attacked feet first. He got me good enough to leave scraped and welts and one place he did, in fact, break skin. Debbie has been doing this since a couple months after the flock was well established and five of the other roosters were sold off, which was in July or August of last year. I’m sick of it. I don’t necessarily want to kill him but in that moment I did and had I been able to catch him, I would have. I don’t know what to do. I’ll kill him if I have to, I’ll rehome him if someone wants him, I just can’t deal with him anymore. I’m at my wits end. This is a rooster I hand-feed treats (like raspberries and blueberries and such) and he STILL attacks me! Any advice?
If he were here he’d be in the freezer. I won’t let my girls get by with pecking while I am checking for eggs, I definitely won’t let a rooster do it

We had a “Blanche” that was the same breed and the same temperament. I called it quits after he flew at my daughter’s face and knocked her glasses off when she was filling their feed. He went to someone who was processing birds for their family. He was a BIG bird and could have easily hurt someone badly.

I am not one for keeping aggressive birds. Our current rooster is such a gentleman and a good protector. It is possible for them to be both. He never messes with us but keeps a watchful eye and makes lots of protesting noises if he feels we are bugging his girls too much. He watches out for predators. In fact today he had them all rounded up undercover because a darn big hawk was waiting for them to come out in the open.

My daughter’s little Silkie roo will attack sometimes but he isn’t really big enough to hurt anyone. Not to mention he will back off if you tell him “NO” firmly. And he doesn’t mess with my daughter as much as she runs him down and cuddles the heck out of him when he has the nerve to have a go at her.

View attachment 1733557
Meet Debbie. We thought he was a girl when he was young because he was a little behind the other cockerels in coloring and such, hence the name Debbie. Debbie is, to put it lightly, a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad rooster. He’s the beta of the flock and has, thus far, attacked me (his favorite person to try to spur), both of my sisters, my boyfriend, my sister’s boyfriend, and my cousin whom he had never met before. He luckily has very short and dull spurs, however my patience has grown thinner with time. Today he has finally done the one thing I said would guarantee his demise: he broke skin. I was giving scratch to everyone, with some poultry conditioner added because my old highschool’s ag day is coming up and my sister and I plan to take some of my chooks to show the kids. All I did was walk around him, I wasn’t even looking at him, and he attacked feet first. He got me good enough to leave scraped and welts and one place he did, in fact, break skin. Debbie has been doing this since a couple months after the flock was well established and five of the other roosters were sold off, which was in July or August of last year. I’m sick of it. I don’t necessarily want to kill him but in that moment I did and had I been able to catch him, I would have. I don’t know what to do. I’ll kill him if I have to, I’ll rehome him if someone wants him, I just can’t deal with him anymore. I’m at my wits end. This is a rooster I hand-feed treats (like raspberries and blueberries and such) and he STILL attacks me! Any advice?
View attachment 1733557
I agree with everything Chicken and Chores said but I do use a broom and take it in every time I go in their field. I keep it right by the gate. It is a straw broom and he has learned how far it reaches from my arm ! He’s very smart because if I try to go in without it he starts pulling his crap on me, so it’s always either in my hand or right beside me always and we get along fine because of my equalizer

Here I am to fly in the face of all these morbid humour comments about killing this rooster, who is not aggressive towards humans by nature, but as someone else mentioned, is aggressive as the result of coddling and hand-raising. This is not the rooster's fault. The rooster is just doing what roosters do to other roosters, and the way Debbie was raised, it sounds, gave him the impression that humans are his flock. I'm not saying it's his caretaker's fault, per se, as it was done naively, but this is a common mistake.

I had a rooster just like Debbie named Isha (he was a White Rock mix), and he lived out his life with us. The rooster training you speak of is *necessary.* Please take that advice seriously. This rooster needs to be retaught about his relationship with humans. Until you take this seriously, he will continue this behaviour. Killing him for what is essentially our mistake as chicken caretakers is cruel indeed.

My Isha loved shoes as his favoured hens, so he was simply trying to pen us to mate with. It was *my* fault, and I knew it, he ended up seeing humans as his flock, and it was a blessing and a curse. I raised a lone chicken who ended up being a rooster. He was my first chicken, and I lived with my mistake and rose above it (and tried to give him a more normal life after maturity and training). Until I did, he exhibited the same scary behaviour. I recommend removing his spurs with a hot potato and pliers so he *isn't* a threat to breaking the skin while you train him. It should not take more than a few days of training him to who and what you are. As someone else said, cuddles can come later. And they can come again, if you so desire, but only after he's been retrained that humans are NOT his chicken flock.

EDIT: the person below me talks about a wyandotte, and I've had very gentle and wonderful roosters (15 in total)-- except Isha. But my other roosters didn't do specific *chicken behaviours* in my direction like he did (dancing at my feet, attacking when carrying things, etc). I did rehabilitate his behaviour, however. He was indeed a Rock, as mentioned. Some breeds tend towards looking at other chickens (or humans if they are so inclined) more aggressively more easily. That STILL does not justify killing them without AT LEAST working on fixing the issue first.

Last edited:
My avatar is Fluffybutt, the second best rooster I ever owned. We thought he was a hen for ages, s/he had the cutest fluffiest butt you've ever seen til he started crowing. I'd never had a blue Wyandotte before and made quite a pet out of him as a chick. He was gentle, never spurred, spent a lot of time feeding and caring for his hens and would take a new flock of pullets around the barnyard and give them the layers tour. Water, nest box, food, roosting spots all carefully shown them and clucked about.
It's OK to handle and tame a rooster I've found, the triggers that cause aggression in birds that weren't aggressive before seem more to be shuffling your feet or letting them think your rooster dancing near them. And sometimes, the gentlest ones will suddenly turn aggressive for no good reason.
Some roo's are bad to the bone no matter what you do. Some are sweet as sugar and I have yet to find a cure for the bad ones. I have noticed that some breeds are more inclined to be aggressive. My Plymouth Barred Rock roo's and Rhode Island Reds have all been terrors. The PBR hens are super sweet so go figure.

I haven't actually seen this thread myself, only this bit I'm about to paste. I was introduced to this concept on another thread about an aggressive rooster that I was participating in (and by participating I mean getting told I'm terribly abusive to this hateful rooster because I kick him in response to being spurred and throw things in his general direction to get him to stay away from me after an attack, despite and feeding him treats and such.... :hmm). Another user suggested I follow this in order to get him to calm down rather than kicking him as it only makes him more aggressive. I truly hope it works.

By Beekissed:
I'm going to give you a clue on "rooster speak"....holding him down doesn't mean anything to him. If you'll watch how roosters interact between dominant ones and subordinate ones, there is rarely any, if ever, holding a bird down for a long time when there is an altercation. There is very quick flogging, gripping by the back of the head and flinging him away or getting him down and giving some savage pecking to the back of the head or neck. No holding him down and nothing else. That's a rooster on a hen maneuver, not rooster on rooster.

Because your rooster is attacking you, you are the subordinate in this picture. You are getting dominated by your bird simply because you are walking where a subordinate isn't supposed to be walking when a dominant is in the area. What you never see is a dominant rooster getting attacked by a subordinate rooster unless there is going to be a definite shift in power, at which time the sub will challenge the dom and win...or lose. So far you are losing and not even challenging.

If you want to win this battle, you must go on the offensive, not the defensive. He who attacks first, and is still claiming the area when the other guy leaves it, is the winner. Some people never have to go on the offensive because their movements in the coop are so decisive that they move and act like a dominant and a 2 ft. rooster is smart enough to recognize a dominant attitude and behavior...which is likely why he's never attacked your husband. Most men move more decisively than do women and children and they rarely step around a bird, but walk through them.

Carrying him around also doesn't mean anything to him...it just doesn't translate at all. His environment is that coop and run floor and that's where you need to speak to him, in a language he understands. Because they are quick on their feet and can evade you, you need a training tool like a long, limber, supple rod of some kind...cutting a nice switch from a shrub or tree that will lengthen your reach by 5 ft. really helps in this. Don't use a rake or broom because they are too clumsy and stiff and can put the hurts on the guy when you don't really mean to.

When you enter your coop, walk with decisive movements and walk directly towards your rooster. Move him away from the feeder and the rest of the flock and keep a slow, determined pressure on him until he leaves the coop. The stick will help you guide him. Then...wait patiently while he gets his bird mind around what just happened. He will try to come back in the coop...let him. When he gets a good bit into that coop, take your switch and give him a good smack on the fluffy feathers under his tail if you can aim it well. If you cannot, just smack the floor near him very hard and fast until he hops and runs and keep at it until he leaves the coop once again. Repeat this process until he is too wary to come back in the coop.

Feed your hens. When he tries to come to the feeder, you "attack" him with the switch...smack the wall by the pop door just as he tries to enter. If he makes it inside, pursue him with the stick either smacking the floor or tapping him on the back or the head until he leaves in a hurry. Make him stay outside while you sit there and enjoy watching your hens eat. Use the stick to keep him from the flock..just him. Don't worry about the hens running and getting excited when this is happening...they will get over it. This is for the future of your flock and your management of it.

When the hens have had a good tucker....leave the coop and let him come back in. Go out later and walk through that flock and use your legs to scatter birds if they get in your way...top roosters do not step to one side for any other bird in the flock. You shouldn't either. Take your stick and startle him with a smack on the floor next to him when he is least expecting it...make that bird jump and RUN. Make him so nervous around you that he is always looking over his shoulder and trying to get out of your way. THAT'S how he needs to be from now on in your lives together. Forget about pets or cuddles...this is a language and behavior he understands. You can hand feed him and such later...right now you need to establish that when you move, he moves...away. When you turn your back, he doesn't move towards you...ever.

Then test him...take your stick along, move around in the coop, bend over with your back turned to him, feed, water, etc....but keep one eye on that rooster. If he even makes one tiny step in your direction or in your "zone", go on the attack and run him clear on out of the coop. Then keep him out while everyone else is eating.

THAT'S how a dominant rooster treats a subordinate. They don't let them crow, mate or even eat in their space. If the subordinate knows his place and watches over his shoulder a lot, he may get to come and eat while the other rooster is at the feeder...but he doesn't ever relax if he knows what is good for him. At any given time the dominant will run him off of that feed and he knows it, so he eats with one eye toward the door. If he feels the need to crow, it's not usually where the dom can reach him...maybe across the yard.

If your rooster crows while you are there, move towards him and keep on the pressure until he stops. He doesn't get to crow while you are there. He can crow later...not while you are there.

It all sounds time consuming but it really isn't...shouldn't take more than minutes for each lesson and you can learn a lot as you go along. And it can be fun if you venture into it with the right attitude....this is rooster training that really works if you do it correctly. This can work on strange roosters, multiple roosters and even old roosters...they can all learn. You rule the coop...now act like it. Carrying is for babies...you have a full grown rooster on your hands, not a baby.

Spot on, every bit of it.

I'll never forget when I was a little kid, we had 20 some geese, and half a dozen roosters that would chase me all around the corrals and out buildings at our ranch. My dad always told me when I quit running from them, they'd stop chasing me -- but I was chicken. Until one day, when I must of been around 7. Before this day, my life was a lot like baseball with bases. I'd look to see if the coast was clear, then run to the barn, or the scale house, or a tractor, whatever the next safe base was on my way to where I wanted to get to. But this one day those geese had me holed up out on a hay wagon out behind the tree windbreak. I was surrounded by all of them and no base to run for. I tried to out wait them, but they knew they had me and weren't going anywhere. Finally, like Clint Eastwood, I crawled off of that hay wagon ready for a showdown. As each one charged in I slapped them on the side of the head. I think I got them all at least once, some took two or three whacks, but by the time I was done, my hand hurt and those geese were still mad, but they were mad 8' or 10' away and wherever I walked, they got out of my way. A few tried sneaking up behind me from time to time, but I kept an eye on them and turned and took a step at them after this. I never ran from a goose again, and have never had one get me since.

I was so proud of myself for finally listening to what my dad had been telling me, and seeing it work. I took a straw broom and went for the roosters the next day. I know that's not very nice, but I was seven, and the way I saw it then, I owed them one good lickin. I only got the first one, he saw me coming but had no fear. He puffed up and come at me and I smoked him with that broom, and he never tried me again. The other roosters must of saw, or heard it through the hen house gossip network, or more than likely could just tell by how I now walked, like I was the one looking for trouble, they didn't want any either. I chased them once in a while so they wouldn't forget who was the new boss. I still get a chuckle thinking of how these birds had me buffaloed for years, but in two days after growing a set, and my barnyard base problems were solved.

I have a Rhode Island Red now that acts just like the one the OP of this thread first posted about. I keep a straw broom by the back door, but seldom need it, there is also an old light basketball size beach ball around the back yard I've thrown at him a few times. He hardly ever comes at me anymore, and the few times he has, I've chased him with the broom or tried to hit him with the ball. Usually I just see him acting important and I march straight at him and make him leave. He attacks my big coon hound whenever he gets a chance, and the dog just stays away, even though that dog could kill him in an instant, he knows he's not supposed to, so doesn't. My problem now is he still attacks everyone who isn't me who comes around here. I told a friend who feeds and gathers eggs when I have to work out of town, just to carry that ball or the broom when she does chores, and she has had some luck with that.

That rooster doesn't know it yet, but he will be in some chicken and noodles someday soon. All that is saving him in the meantime is I want a broody or two to set on eggs this Spring and once a few are setting on enough fertile eggs, he'll be invited to dinner.

Don't ever forget in all of your chicken loving hearts, there would not even be domestic chickens to raise as pets, if they didn't taste so much like chicken, and that for every single one of them you ever cull from your flock, there is a vacant spot to give a new chick the opportunity to grow into. I don't think my next rooster will be a Rhode Island Red though, this one at least, may be the orneriest rooster I've ever seen. I've heard that Orpingtons, Australorps, and Buckeyes are usually a lot nicer roosters. What is the nicest breed of rooster some of you have had good luck with?

Last edited:
I have had a RIR and Easter Egger roo, and they were both awful (seperate times). We learned to coexist. They both ended up getting killed (one by a hawk, one by one of my dogs). I now have 3 Sapphire Gem roos, and they are awesome. A little pesky with the girls on occasion, but they watch out for predators pretty well, co-exist very well, and have never even turned an eye at me, much less dropped a wing, etc. I would definately recommend Sapphires.

Debbie, the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad rooster, looks like a dual purpose chicken to me. If it's not laying eggs, then option two....

I have raised rabbits, ducks, geese and chickens. I have enjoyed the experience and give them a good life until the last day. It's the part of animal management that I least care for, but it's the responsibility I assume when I decide to take on any animals. Culling an animal for any reason can be hard, but it's something we have to plan for and accept. Best wishes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom