Terrible, horrible, no good, very bad rooster.

I have just had the same experience. Our rooster first went after my husband, then my brother, but never acted like that around me. I was the only one that could go in the backyard without being attacked. But then he started slowly testing me and finally a full on attack where he just wouldn't stop coming at me. That was the last straw and I decided to rehome him. I understand roosters are just doing their jobs and protecting their hens, but it is bad when you can't even go in your own backyard without being attacked.

Well kind of sort of sounds like he has been attacking everyone. We had a Rooster like that on our ranch when I was young and he just kept getting worse and worse until a mountain lion got him. He even attacked my little brother that was only about five at the time, luckily he was not blinded or anything. My dad had to hit that rooster with a club to get him off my brother! No one could even come over!
I had a rooster that was attacking everyone including the dog. No one could go to the backyard but me. I thought it was funny until it started to attack me. It wasn’t funny anymore. It had to go to frizzer camp. Well I got to say maybe he didn’t like his name either. He’s name was Mr. chicken :eek:

I had the same experience with a bantam rooster. I was the only person he attacked and he was brutal; one time a bent down to do something in the yard and he sneaked up on me and went for my face. He got my ear and it bled heavily for a long time. The guineas didn't like him and used to keep him in line if they were around.
We debated culling him but I was sure he would take revenge on me, I'd probably choke on the meat if I cooked him. In the end, a local wild animal culled him for us.

A few years later, I had another bantam roo that was okay with people but killed a large, full sized rooster. Luckily a coworker took him.

So I agree with the others. Unless you want to carry a broom around every time you go outside, he should go. He will only get worse.

BTW - I don't keep bantams any more because of those 2 roos. Has anyone else had that experience with them?

Me too. I’m new to chickens and had ordered eggs to hatch. I only hatched 5, and one of them died do had 4. 2 roosters and 2 hens. I babies them bad!
They both became terrors. The lady I got my eggs from died not breed any mean Roos. She has been working 7 years to help Barred Hollands rebound. So I got a clutch off of each roo, and I culled them. I did try to rehabilitate them for a long time. The first clutch hatched in January. I did not coddle. So fingers crossed on them. The second clutch hatched 2 days ago.
I’m more confident now too after battling the other two so I am very determined with the older clutch. I don’t let the young cockerels dally around my feet.

I would not rehome a dangerous bird. I would have killed him the minute the attacks started. Roosters can be nice. I've had non aggressive ones in the past. This one is not and is not worth saving. Kill him and make a donation to your local family of foxes.

Do not get rid of Debbie! I had same issue with Scottie(once known as Belle !) He is doing what roosters are spose to do, but he is testing you to see where he stands on pecking order. I used to be afraid to turn my back on him,but finally had enough! I kicked and chased and kicked and chased and swore at him for good 10 minutes all around yard, coop and run! Hens hunkered down in corner staying away from commotion! He finally gave up,ran to coop and rested on roost. This has been a year ago and he knows his place. He has turned out to be the best rooster ever (we have 2). If you study roosters, you will see that this is how they learn their place in the flock.

I want to add..be persistent! I USED to just kick at him to get him away from me,but roosters see that as a challenge and a good rooster loves a challenge and will test that challenge. The first one to give in is the loser! That's why you need to settle it all at one time. Scottie has been a great protector of his girls,hollering at them to take cover of eagles or hawks are overhead, or getting them to bed,or up in a.m. our other rooster doesnt pay attention at all. An aggressive rooster CAN be a great rooster if energy is put to good use! Debbie wants to protect the hens,and sees everyone as a threat,until you set him straight on who is the boss. He will be happier too,knowing where he belongs in pecking order. Poor Debbie needs a new name! Dennie??

Back
Top Bottom