1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tetanus (DTaP) vaccine reaction

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PotterWatch, Feb 26, 2011.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Anyone ever had a bad reaction to a DTaP shot? I was given one on Tuesday and had some pretty significant muscle pain in my arm the next day or two but it was definitely getting better. I barely even noticed it yesterday. It seemed to be getting worse again this afternoon and into the evening. We got home about 40mins ago from a day out at a museum and I rolled up my sleeve to check out my arm and try to figure out why it was hurting again. I realized that my whole upper arm is swollen, red, and warm to the touch. No wonder it's sore again! I called the nurse advice line but they haven't called me back yet. Anyone else had a bad reaction to this shot? I imagine they will just tell me to take some benadryl and get on with my evening...

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I haven't had one of those in a LONG time, but I don't think I ever had a reaction like that!!!

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I would think that it isn't an allergic reaction, but instead an infection. Do get it checked out soon!

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The nurse just called back and said that I should go to the ER. I soooo don't want to do that, especially on a Saturday night. She said I should try a warm compress and benadryl until I get to the ER, but that I still need to go. Great.

5. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    I would definitely go to the ER. However, I know how you feel about ER on a Saturday. It's crazy there. I did get a similiar reaction to yours. I don't know how red and swollen yours is though. But I do know that Tetanus shots do cause that in the arm. But I would still get it checked out. My muscle in my arm hurt for a few weeks actually.

6. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    yes-I have had a reaction to the vaccine just as you described. It went away. Ice and motion helped.

7. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    My DH got one about 10 years ago. He didn't react at all. I've not been vaccinated since I was about 3.
    Hope all goes well for you! [​IMG]

8. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    I had a severe reaction to my last tetnus shot. It raised up a huge red welt that stayed for several weeks. My arm was also swollen and hot to the touch and I developed a fever about 4 weeks later. Went to the doc they sent me to er and I got an IV and some other stuff . Was told to NEVER get another tetnus shot. I had that shot 15 years ago and still have a knot under my skin where they gave it. You should go to the ER. I know it sucks but those kind of reactions can get severe quickly. Better safe than sorry.

9. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope you have already headed to er. Same thing happened to my sister, she had to have it opened up drained, packed and heavy antibiotics. Nothing to put off as bad as it sounds.

10. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Yikes PW [​IMG] Let us know how you're doing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by