Texas BYC Cafe

Hey everyone..... I know I feel off the planet!!
hit.gif

I hope everyone is doing well. Thank you JellyBean for the email. Nice to know you are missed.
So a quick up date..... My granddaughter is now 1 1/2 and the love of my life, don't tell hubby. My oldest son is NOT getting married now and he is moving into a house next door to us once he gets it remodeled. He is still working in the oil business and is doing really good. My baby how ever graduates in May and then leaves for Navy Bootcamp July 14th. So I have now been promoted from mom to Navy mom and I am SO proud of him.

My chicken numbers have grown and decreased due to births, snakes and give aways. LOL
BTW, if you have a snake problem.... kill it and then burn it in a can of some sort in the coop and you wont have any more snakes for a very very long time. It does work.

I have had 2 hen go broody this winter and they have hatched 11 chicks..... black sex link, RIR, BCM, Silkie and Silkie mix I think. The first one I let her hatch some to see what kind of momma she would be and it was so exciting to watch. She was a great mom. The last 4 hatched last week and I thought I had gather up all her eggs but as it turns out Ms Puff, my Silkie had 4 hid out from me. They are so cute. I will post pics later. So NOW what do I want...... I want an incubator and I am trying to build one.

Has anyone here built one yet??
How does burning the snake in coop keep future snakes away? We have rat snakes here....

Hello everyone hope everyone is staying dry. I got me a new rooster he is a english splash Orpington. I am looking for Black Orpington hens,pullets, or chicks around Tyler or with in a 100 miles or so.

Wow! He's a looker. :)

He

Hey girl, I haven't used that but I took a 25 gallon bucket and put the horazonal nipples on the bottom edge of it and it works great for my bamtons!
After looking at those I decided to go with them too. I like the no drips.

I had an appt with my Rheumatologist today. Had to get blood work done and have all my scripts refilled. Rained on me all the way there, back and is still raining here.

If your wanting and Olive Egger, you need to breed your BCM to your Blue Legbar hen. That should give you some Olive Eggers.

eta: I think your silky babies are cute! I wouldn't mind getting a couple, but I wouldn't know what to do with them after they ended up roos. I don't think I could eat black chicken.
idunno.gif
I was going to say the same thing. I think you get a nice dark green with that cross too.

The homemade bators seem to be better than the store bought ones.... BUT I may have to go check out the egg turners. I need to see if they can be cut down or made smaller because all I have see are going to be to big on one side.

Hey I need to find a place to buy Rhodebar, Buff Ameraucana and I need a crested cream legbar roo (mine was killed
hit.gif
)
Hello Texas peeps, I'm still looking for some Dominiques and GLW in the Huntsville/ Conroe area. TIA
Get on the DFW Chicken Traders page on FB and ask for what you want. People from all over Texas are on that page and they are hatching chicks like crazy right now. I'm having a hard time not getting chicks. I can't jump the gun though. I have my time line list to follow so everything works out like it should. ;) Yes, I know that probably won't happen. My life!

I have a old night stand that I am incuba-tizing. LOL I have seen the cooler ones but after all the research I am down to just making a few last choices and then I will be putting it together.

A friend of mine posted this on my facebook wall today and I just watched it.... I think I need to go change my clothes I laughed so hard I think I broke something. Let me know if the link don't work.
http://onegirlsrant.com/the-hazards-of-backyard-chickens/

I just watched that. Oh my! Too funny!! Gateway livestock. LOL!!

How does burning the snake in coop keep future snakes away? We have rat snakes here....

Wow! He's a looker. :)

After looking at those I decided to go with them too. I like the no drips.

I was going to say the same thing. I think you get a nice dark green with that cross too.

Get on the DFW Chicken Traders page on FB and ask for what you want. People from all over Texas are on that page and they are hatching chicks like crazy right now. I'm having a hard time not getting chicks. I can't jump the gun though. I have my time line list to follow so everything works out like it should. ;) Yes, I know that probably won't happen. My life!

I have no idea what burning it does.... but it works. I didn't believe it when I was first told about it then a friend of mine I trust said she does it and she hasn't had one in 2 years. We have chicken snakes around here. But I fixed that. LOL

I got in touch with the lady in Windom and she is hatching today and will let me know what she has this evening. All of her chicks are pure breed, most from greenfire chickens.

I have no idea what burning it does.... but it works. I didn't believe it when I was first told about it then a friend of mine I trust said she does it and she hasn't had one in 2 years. We have chicken snakes around here. But I fixed that. LOL

I got in touch with the lady in Windom and she is hatching today and will let me know what she has this evening. All of her chicks are pure breed, most from greenfire chickens.

Oooo.... Greenfire is good stock. I'd be interested in know what all she breeding.

I decided to look at what I have decided to get this spring. My list has changed from what I originally wanted.

BCMs - I will always want those.
Crested Cream Legbars - I will always want these.
Olive egger (from the above cross)
SFH
Icelandic
Delaware - I will always want these too.

I may need to enlarge my coop from 5x12 to 6x12. :)

I'm getting the SFH and Icelandic from Just Fowling Around. They sell eggs for hatching and Brynn's silkie is going to hatch them for me. :) She is an awesome mama.

Oooo.... Greenfire is good stock. I'd be interested in know what all she breeding.

I decided to look at what I have decided to get this spring. My list has changed from what I originally wanted.

BCMs - I will always want those.
Crested Cream Legbars - I will always want these.
Olive egger (from the above cross)
SFH
Icelandic
Delaware - I will always want these too.

I may need to enlarge my coop from 5x12 to 6x12. :)

I'm getting the SFH and Icelandic from Just Fowling Around. They sell eggs for hatching and Brynn's silkie is going to hatch them for me. :) She is an awesome mama.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/grd/4849328129.html
Here is her ad, it is very impressive. I talked with her this morning and she is going to get back with me on what all she had hatch today. I will be getting Crested Cream Legbars, BCM (I have 3 1 roo and 2 hens but I don't know their bloodline) and I want the Blue Isbar. But I think I really want to get eggs of these.... but I may get eggs of them all. LOL I just don't know yet. What she tells me tonight will help make my mind up. LOL
Check it out she has rare birds.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/grd/4849328129.html
Here is her ad, it is very impressive. I talked with her this morning and she is going to get back with me on what all she had hatch today. I will be getting Crested Cream Legbars, BCM (I have 3 1 roo and 2 hens but I don't know their bloodline) and I want the Blue Isbar. But I think I really want to get eggs of these.... but I may get eggs of them all. LOL I just don't know yet. What she tells me tonight will help make my mind up. LOL
Check it out she has rare birds.
The link didn't work.

Her bird variety sounds a lot like the lady I am getting my chicks from. She lives near Bonham though.

It maybe, this lady is in Windom and there are 2 other places you can pick up your chicks.

I believe it is she post from 3 locations. She is a teacher in one town lives in another and delivers in 3 towns. She will not let anyone come to her house for pick which is what I do myself. She seems to be a very nice lady and knows her stuff. Just a not on the blue isbars or any thing that is blue. Blue is not a Dominic color if the bird is blue it's chicks will depend on what colors you breed.
Blue/blue gets 50%blue/25%black/25%splash.
Black/black gets 100%black.
Splash/blue gets 100% blue
Black/blue gets 50%blue/50%black
Splash/splash gets 100%splash

I believe it is she post from 3 locations. She is a teacher in one town lives in another and delivers in 3 towns. She will not let anyone come to her house for pick which is what I do myself. She seems to be a very nice lady and knows her stuff. Just a not on the blue isbars or any thing that is blue. Blue is not a Dominic color if the bird is blue it's chicks will depend on what colors you breed.
Blue/blue gets 50%blue/25%black/25%splash.
Black/black gets 100%black.
Splash/blue gets 100% blue
Black/blue gets 50%blue/50%black
Splash/splash gets 100%splash

It maybe, this lady is in Windom and there are 2 other places you can pick up your chicks.

Sounds like the same lady. I know you can pick up in Honey Grove and Bonham, not sure where else. She is very strict with biosecurity. I love that her prices don't reflect that. ;)

Has anyone tried a rooster collar to prevent them from crowing? Do they really work like they say they do?
I'd love to have a roos with my girls but since I am inside the city limits I am not supposed to. If I didn't live where I do I could try to sneak one in - people are, I hear the crowing - but my yard is too exposed and animal control is by here all the time looking for dogs off leashes in the park.

Back
Top Bottom