Texas BYC Cafe

I sent him a message to see if I can find out. Because there were some he could tell their sex as soon as they hatched like the cream leg bars I got from him. But I lost my rooster so I need to get another crested Cream legbar roo and I want 2 more hens.

It just never stops. LOL

I have read and read and read and I still can not decide on a couple of key issues due to lack of understanding. I am hoping someone can help me gain understanding. [COLOR=FF0000]Problem #1. Automatic egg turner or not?? [/COLOR] :idunno I have read where some say eggs need to be turned 3 times a day but then other say they set their auto turners to turn every 2 or 4 hours. So how often do they really need to be turned? If it is just 3 times then I am not sure I really need the automatic. But if it is better and increases the hatch rate to turn them more then I will have to figure out how to wire one up. [COLOR=FF0000]Problem #2. What motor do I need to run an Automatic turner? [/COLOR] :confused: [COLOR=FF0000] [/COLOR] I have several kinds of things around here that has all kinds of parts and I am not sure what has what I need to use. Some property we just bought had several OLD TV's, and older model copy machine, old computer, ceiling fans...... I need to know what I can use from any of these things for my incubator. Would there be a motor in this stuff I can use? What kind of motor do I need? [COLOR=FF0000]Problem #3 Once I get a motor how do I hook it up? To what do I hook it up to? [/COLOR] :barnie I know that seems like 2 question in one, sorry. I have looked at buying the egg turners like the LG but I can't see paying 50 for it plus the way they are build it won't fix in my cabinet. So now I have to figure out how to build one the easiest way I can. All I am going to have right now is just one tray or drawer for the eggs and one for hatching. Then I have to figure out how to wire it all up. [COLOR=FF0000]Problem #4 Thermometers...hydrometers....thermostats ...wiring to where lights go on and off at different temps?[/COLOR]:th [COLOR=FF0000] [/COLOR] So at first I thought I had this part down. Just buy the thermometers/hydrometers like acurite and set up inside to monitor your heat and humidity. Then I started reading about wafer thermostats and water heater thermostats and lights that are wired to come on and off when needed. What..WHAaaT?? [COLOR=0000CD]What I do understand is needing light bulbs, water, sponges, rocks or bottles of water and fans and how to make the fan works. That I found good simple instructions for and I have what I need for that. [/COLOR] :clap Yea me!!! So you see why easy got hard?? If I am going to put forth the effort to make this I want it to have the best of all the worlds to promote high hatch rates but I don't want to spend time on things that are not really needed. So Please help me understand. What of all this is really important and needed to have a productive hatching and what are just nice bells and whistles? Here is what I am using to make my incubator, just as a FYI.
Well I hope I can help you but before I say I can you have to answer my questions. 1. The box that you going to use are you trying to use the drawers or are you planing on taking them out with the dividers out also? 2. Are you going to insulate to box? 3. Need the size of box or drawer your planing on using. To answer some of yours 1. You will need to have a egg turned for sure if you want a good hatch rate. Now is where the answers to mine come in. 2. I use a Digital thermostat control i get them off of eBay for around $12. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141501180413 3. I use iridescent lightbulbs to heat with the Digital thermostat to Control it. 4. I use a fan in mine you can use a Computer fan or 115V AC Cooling Fan. 120mm x 38mm HS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YTSB7C/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_F1vWub0PX0DET. 5. I use a motor out of a microwave turn table the one in the bottom that turns the plate around. You can those off of eBay also http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=250862712274 I hope that helps

I am not sure.  I guess it depends on what they look like.  I wish I could figure out what Olive Oils breeds were.  LOL  I may have to ask the person I bought them from.  Not sure if he will tell me.  Now I am faced with the challenge of breeding and making them.  LOL  It seems you might understand that creative interest.  LOL  If I could just get more like her I would want a rooster and about 3 hens.  Then I could work on making different depths of egg color.  LOL 

Well I hate to tell you that when breed a Olive egger to a olive egger they do not hold true. They are cross breeds. So to have olive egger baby's you have to breed the darker brown roosters to bluest egg hens. The baby will lay the olive eggs. They are like the easter egger being breed from ameraucana. When you breed a lighter brown egg layer to a Ameraucana you get a green egg which is an easter Egger. Want to add that the blue color of an Ameraucana is not put on the egg like a brown egg. Blue does not come from a gland it comes for the liver of the chicken. It will be blue inside and out. This is also true with araucana , cream legbars. What makes a egg green is the blue egg is colored with brown gland for a brown egg layer. The bluest egg and the dark brown is what makes the olive egg. A true araucana or Ameraucana lay blue to turquoise eggs inside and outside. If they are laying any color of green they are not true breed!!

Last edited:
Well I hate to tell you that when breed a Olive egger to a olive egger they do not hold true. They are cross breeds. So to have olive egger baby's you have to breed the darker brown roosters to bluest egg hens. The baby will lay the olive eggs. They are like the easter egger being breed from ameraucana. When you breed a lighter brown egg layer to a Ameraucana you get a green egg which is an easter Egger. Want to add that the blue color of an Ameraucana is not put on the egg like a brown egg. Blue does not come from a gland it comes for the liver of the chicken. It will be blue inside and out. This is also true with araucana , cream legbars. What makes a egg green is the blue egg is colored with brown gland for a brown egg layer. The bluest egg and the dark brown is what makes the olive egg. A true araucana or Ameraucana lay blue to turquoise eggs inside and outside. If they are laying any color of green they are not true breed!!

clap.gif
WOW that is great info and it is worded just how I needed to understand. I didn't know and have not read that about the liver so that make since to me. So I get OE hens for the eggs but to make OE chicks I will need a couple of blue egg hens. I have my Crested Cream leg bar but I think I will need a couple of other blue egg hens. I have a French BCM rooster. HUMmmmm
So how do you suppose he get them to be sex linked? The one I got was sex linked?

Well I hope I can help you but before I say I can you have to answer my questions.
1. The box that you going to use are you trying to use the drawers or are you planing on taking them out with the dividers out also?
2. Are you going to insulate to box?
3. Need the size of box or drawer your planing on using.
To answer some of yours
1. You will need to have a egg turned for sure if you want a good hatch rate. Now is where the answers to mine come in.
2. I use a Digital thermostat control i get them off of eBay for around $12. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141501180413
3. I use iridescent lightbulbs to heat with the Digital thermostat to Control it.
4. I use a fan in mine you can use a Computer fan or 115V AC Cooling Fan. 120mm x 38mm HS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YTSB7C/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_F1vWub0PX0DET.
5. I use a motor out of a microwave turn table the one in the bottom that turns the plate around. You can those off of eBay also http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=250862712274

I hope that helps

The cabinet.... at first I was going to pull out the drawers and cut out the dividers. Then after looking and reading I thought I might cut the dividers cut but leave enough on the sides to attach hardware cloth to them to make levels. Then I could cut the drawers off the fronts and maybe put hinges on the drawer fronts and reuse them. Cut a window in the top to see in.

Yes I am going to insulate the entire cabinet. I was thinking to put the heat on either side of the bottom with the water pan in the middle on the bottom and the fan there as well. The next level for the hatching and the top level for hatching tray so you can keep and watch on them. I am not sure if that set up with everything being on the bottom will work..... maybe need a fan on top as well to help move the air around.??

As far as the size of the drawers..... the one that are in the cabinet are are 16 x 13.5 about and I think the egg turners I have looked at are 15 x 15 being the smallest one.
barnie.gif

I get confused.
But the thermostat and motor I understand better now after looking at what you used. The fan I think I have it under control as well as far as getting one. Do you measure the humidity also?

What are you going to be doing in Tyler?? You are just a hop and a skip from me there. LOL

I had an appt with my Rheumatologist today. Had to get blood work done and have all my scripts refilled. Rained on me all the way there, back and is still raining here.

If your wanting and Olive Egger, you need to breed your BCM to your Blue Legbar hen. That should give you some Olive Eggers.

eta: I think your silky babies are cute! I wouldn't mind getting a couple, but I wouldn't know what to do with them after they ended up roos. I don't think I could eat black chicken.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
The cabinet.... at first I was going to pull out the drawers and cut out the dividers. Then after looking and reading I thought I might cut the dividers cut but leave enough on the sides to attach hardware cloth to them to make levels. Then I could cut the drawers off the fronts and maybe put hinges on the drawer fronts and reuse them. Cut a window in the top to see in.

Yes I am going to insulate the entire cabinet. I was thinking to put the heat on either side of the bottom with the water pan in the middle on the bottom and the fan there as well. The next level for the hatching and the top level for hatching tray so you can keep and watch on them. I am not sure if that set up with everything being on the bottom will work..... maybe need a fan on top as well to help move the air around.??

As far as the size of the drawers..... the one that are in the cabinet are are 16 x 13.5 about and I think the egg turners I have looked at are 15 x 15 being the smallest one.
barnie.gif

I get confused.
But the thermostat and motor I understand better now after looking at what you used. The fan I think I have it under control as well as far as getting one. Do you measure the humidity also?

I had an appt with my Rheumatologist today. Had to get blood work done and have all my scripts refilled. Rained on me all the way there, back and is still raining here.

If your wanting and Olive Egger, you need to breed your BCM to your Blue Legbar hen. That should give you some Olive Eggers.

eta: I think your silky babies are cute! I wouldn't mind getting a couple, but I wouldn't know what to do with them after they ended up roos. I don't think I could eat black chicken.
idunno.gif

Who Is your Dr? I see Dr Graves there in Tyler at the Texas Arthritis and Rheumatology. I really like him.
I am wanting to get this same olive egger. My husband loved her and she passed away and I have just got to get more of her. But I think I am getting closer to knowing what her parents were. LOL

Rhodebar rooster over a wheaten or buff Ameraucana. I am also thinking this would make them auto-sexing. Harley1975 What do you think??

I go to Dr. Brelsford. He has the Arthritis and Osteoporosis Clinic on Clinic Dr. I've been going there a little over 2 yrs now.

What about the bators at Atwoods? I noticed they were on sale. I had to stop by the one at Kilgore and pick up a few things and noticed the sign. They have the egg turners on sale also.

I go to Dr. Brelsford. He has the Arthritis and Osteoporosis Clinic on Clinic Dr. I've been going there a little over 2 yrs now.

What about the bators at Atwoods? I noticed they were on sale. I had to stop by the one at Kilgore and pick up a few things and noticed the sign. They have the egg turners on sale also.

The homemade bators seem to be better than the store bought ones.... BUT I may have to go check out the egg turners. I need to see if they can be cut down or made smaller because all I have see are going to be to big on one side.

Hey I need to find a place to buy Rhodebar, Buff Ameraucana and I need a crested cream legbar roo (mine was killed
hit.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom