Texas Natural Feeds

jadorsey9

Songster
7 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Has anyone used their (texas natural feeds) products before? They are made in Waco and are available in the dfw area. Non soy and non gmo but not technically organic) I am on my first bag of layena but I am uncomfortable with Purina products. Just looking for some feedback on this brand.

I have been feeding Texas Naturals Feed Lay Pellets only for about 4 months now. I've started having problems with thin egg shells and soft shelled eggs, probably 4-5 a day out of about 3 dozen. There are many feeders filled with free choice oyster shell, and nearly all the chickens are free range over 2 acres. Is anyone else having this problem?

we get a few thin shelled a day as well out of a couple of hundred. But no more than we were getting before. I will however take better note of this. As long as I supplement with shell, I don't have a problem. But then I have always had to supplement. Thanks

I have been feeding Texas Naturals Feed Lay Pellets only for about 4 months now. I've started having problems with thin egg shells and soft shelled eggs, probably 4-5 a day out of about 3 dozen. There are many feeders filled with free choice oyster shell, and nearly all the chickens are free range over 2 acres. Is anyone else having this problem?

I've lately been mixing crushed oyster and egg shells as a supplement, fed separately from the feed. Our girls will pick through to eat the egg shells first and then barely touch the oyster shell. Their shells do seem stronger since we started feeding back the egg shells. They also never ate much of the oyster shell in the first place, but that was in the summer when they had more stuff to free range on (I assume bug shells are high in calcium). We feed a grower feed since we have a rooster and don't want to overload his kidneys with too much calcium.

We also had one girl with perpetually thin shells and it seems that the combo of fermented foods like kefir, fermented feed and egg shells seem to be doing the trick...her shells are quite strong now.

Last edited:
I use their scratch and have no issues. I also use 350-400 lbs/ month of the layer pellets per month. My hens are free range and I only give them feed when they roost and none in the morning.

So how are you sprouting it? Just put some of the scratch to soak?

I have a mesh sprouting lid that fits over a mason jar:

Put however much scratch you need in the jar, fill it with water, & let it soak 6 hours. Drain, and then rinse & drain the seeds twice a day until they've sprouted as much as you want. I think I read the tail should be 1 1/2 times the length of the seed to get 50% protein (?) - or something like that. I just keep them going until most of the seeds have little tails - about 3 days. Even the ones that don't sprout are soft and plump, and I think the girls like that a lot better than whole dry seeds.

I just keep the jar on the kitchen counter. It doesn't need sunlight unless you want to take it to the 1st leaves stage (the way people eat it). I don't do much at a time, and they only get it 2x/ week as a treat. But they REALLY love it.

I made the switch a few months ago. When I moved my hens here we fed one of the big name brand feeds that said it was a complete feed and did not need supplementation with oyster shell or grit. They went through a molt and began laying again with strong shells. After switching to the TN layer crumbles it was a few weeks later that I found the first soft shell eggs these girls ever laid, they have always had difficult to crack open shells. I had the realization that I did not start offering oyster shell when I switched feeds. Started offering it free choice as well as mixing some into the feed since I knew we had a problem. The shell would be left in the bottom of the dish after the feed was consumed. Although I know they were ingesting some of the finer ground shell with the feed. There was some improvement. Had a friend that raises poultry and rescues reptiles suggest getting calcium powder sold at pet stores for reptiles. I picked up a spray by Zilla after running it by her. Have not had a soft shell since starting to use it about a week ago. So I will start to cut back the amount I spray on the food and scratch.

Using the chick starter for my chicks, they all seem to be doing well. I did compare the calcium level in the chick starter to other starters at TSC and they were comparable, so I don't think there should be a problem.

Currently researching H and H feeds, which is another soy free and non-gmo feed made in TX that I can get locally.

It looks like both have their merits and draw backs, so I may end up feeding a blend of the two brands and see how that works out.

I am in Brenham area and would love to try this feed but it is not in my area yet. Have been buying Hiland but it is very expensive.

Back
Top Bottom