Texas

@ Cockle-Dood: HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY to your little boy!!!
big_smile.png

I told my husband I wanted bigger windows so he is now thinkin gof how he is going to go about to do that. There are 4 windows total on the coop, but they are all small. Due to living inner-city and having my wonderful dog and fully fenced in yard we don't have to worry about critters as much as we would if we were elsewhere. So I really think bigger windows on the side would be better. I didn't know chickens were chicken of the dark!

i think its more scared of change than of the dark itself. Mine have their light removed while still in the brooder but have a dim light in the room, so the transition to the darkness of outside is more gradual...Hard to really see in the pics...but maybe an easy fix is simply putting a front porch style screen door on, instead of your solid one....just an idea

i think its more scared of change than of the dark itself. Mine have their light removed while still in the brooder but have a dim light in the room, so the transition to the darkness of outside is more gradual...Hard to really see in the pics...but maybe an easy fix is simply putting a front porch style screen door on, instead of your solid one....just an idea
I agree....I don't know that they are the same size, but if so,maybe switching the doors? Put the one on the run on the coop....

Wow
So, I haven't read through everything I've missed. I have a question - Are chickens scared of the dark? It's getting hot so I'm not leaving the lamp on inside the coop at night and the girls do not want to go inside. I have to turn the lamp on then they all run inside, then turn it off and then close the door to keep them in for the night. When I close the door the are cussing me out in chicken talk, but I do not have a "non-heat lamp" and so I don't want them to get too hot. I'm just wondering if they're scared of the dark. On a final note, we are almost done with the coop! Hallelujah! My DH enclosed the run completely this past weekend. Now we just need to add beauty boards to go over the staples of the hardware cloth and some touch up paint ont he run and coop. Also, the girls are using the pvc feeders for the first time. It works perfect and the feed fills up the spout on it's own. We don't really have to do much at all with it!
Wow! Looks amazing!

I agree....I don't know that they are the same size, but if so,maybe switching the doors? Put the one on the run on the coop....

only takes a tape measure to find out! I wish i could wrap my head around building a structure like that...im getting decent at revising and renovating bits and peices...but a from scratch build, no idea! Blast spending my childhood playing sports instead of working on the farm!

Tater...how has the weather been for ya? heard it got rough a bit south of dallas, but did yall get hit with anything? wonder if Jerry-world is a big swimming pool now?

If anyone in the dfw area happens to know of any properties around for sale that are rent to own would you let me know? =) I am trying to find a place to move but I have a small problem, I need a rent to own as I cannot really do a big down payment, aaaaand due to my husbands truck loan, we can only do about 500 a month at the moment for rent, since we would need to pay bills too... =/ Dunno if I will get lucky or not, but if I don't and I have to move, I wanted to know if there was anyone here that possibly wanted my little flock. There is a salmon faverolle rooster, a salmon faverolle hen, a buff brahma pullet, a dark brahma pullet, a black copper maran hen, two ameracauna hens(not sure if they are pure or not but they have slate legs and lay a light green egg, they also have cute little swayed feather necks), a silver laced wyandotte pullet, and then I have seven chicks, which I think I got lucky with and picked out six pullets and one cockerel, there are two heritage rhode island reds, one frizzled turken, one non frizzled turken(but he should carry the frizzle gene), two frizzle ameracauna mixes, and one that might be a smooth frizzle ameracauna or just a pure ameracauna. One of the heritage rhode island reds has a slightly crooked beak, but does not stop her one bit! The faverolle lays about five eggs a week, the maran about three, from the two twins, I pretty much get a green egg a day, so I can't really approximate how many eggs a week I get from them haha! But I will keep you guys posted. I will be very upset if I have to move and cannot take my babies with me, but it is something I will have to deal with.

i Noticed some place on craigslist that was selling some land around Iola...and i know there are some plots for sale in my area...Maybe you can work a deal with stelle and help her new farm out?

Back
Top Bottom