Texas

Look what I came home to

love.gif

precious! I wouldnt dream of having my dogs that near any of my birds!

All of mine can be trusted around birds.. we had a couple of dogs we were taking care of for some of the soldiers which weren't as bird friendly.. but they have gone back to their homes now.

Once we bring the new LGD pup home we will have to introduce her to the birds

But even my Eskie pup (well.. almost 6 months old now) can be trusted with them.. she's been in with the emu chicks all the way down to silkie chicks with 0 issues as well as having access to them without any supervision. Even though she's young she has already shown her "mothering instinct" so she's good to go.

granted not every dog is how mine are.. I think one of the main differences is how I train mine to behave both around other critters and away from them.

i do have a few who are not "people friendly".. but they are guard dogs and know who is "family" and who isn't.. which .. since we live out in the country and my husband is deployed for up to 14 months at a time .. it's good to know I have some dogs who will watch out for me when I don't have a gun within reach.

Thanks for the info, I have oyster shells that I sneak in their food (They dont seem to like them).I also put a little raw apple cider in their water, I heard its good for their digestive tracts. Do you recommend any other items or supplements I can feed them? :)

Just make sure they have enough calcium, manganese, phosphorus and vitamin D3 .. Young pullets often take a bit of time to start getting things sorted out. though with getting 'rubber eggs" it's quite possible their feed is a bit deficient.

there are a few other issues that can cause rubber eggs and also deformed eggs.. but since the birds are young my first thought would be an immature shell gland as well as feed deficiencies.
Thanks for the info, I have oyster shells that I sneak in their food (They dont seem to like them).I also put a little raw apple cider in their water, I heard its good for their digestive tracts. Do you recommend any other items or supplements I can feed them? :)

They only free range supervised.  If I am not out there working in the garden or something then they aren't allowed out of their run, but I'm outside everyday working on something so I let them stay out there a few hours each day.  Helps with the weeds and gives them time to run around and play.  I let Elvis sniff them and get used to them from the first day we got the birds. I made sure he knew they were part of the family and they are not his food or toys.  I think too it helps that he's almost 12 years old and doesn't get around like he used to.

i believe that MY dogs would be ok...but they are young...oldest of my pups is 3, then i have a 2yo, and 2 pups about 6-8 months old. BUT sharing the yard, we have the 2 bostons:mad: and a french mastiff that belong to mom-in-law....those are the trouble makers! My pens are about 50+yds from my house, and when im out there i will let them roam around for a while...but if the boston sees them he immediatly thinks play, whether people are around or not! this dog has eaten his way through weld-wire pens! Chain link is my only savior until that dog goes(one way or another)
1 dog won't even think of bothering the chickens but our new one tried, he seems to be better now but I don't leave him unattended. I still can't get him to leave our outside cats alone though, he's going to be a dead dog if he doesn't straighten up soon :barnie

precious! I wouldnt dream of having my dogs that near any of my birds!
This is Big. He thinks they belong to him. This is Brother when he was young. He still hangs out around the coops and loves the birds.
Our 2 backyard outside cats won't bother the chickens at all but will kill a dove in a minute. They seem to know the difference

Back
Top Bottom