Texas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by allen wranch, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Scoutmedic

Scoutmedic Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2012
    South-Central Texas

I had a Boston rescue once BC (before chickens) and he was my best dog. It only took once firm no and he never went after another small animal. 10 years later, we got another one and it just didn't get it. Now we have an English Bulldog who thinks the baby chicks are hers and a Great Dane who wants to play "tag" with the girls.

2. Zootopia

Zootopia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2011
    Abilene, Texas
    Wow there is a Humidaire incubator on the Houston (Iola) CL for $900. That is an interesting piece of furniture.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  3. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    I don't think this is a "guinea market" issue so much as ignorance among the general public about hatchery vs well bred stock, the actual cost of doing business, the actual cost of raising poultry, and the fact that people are so accustomed to cheap imported retail products made by slave labor of children, that they can't imagine paying a fair price for something that is well made, well bred, made in the US, and doesn't come so cheap because of mass quantity discounts by large corporations that buy products from Asia.

We live in such a throw away society that people don't want to spend money on something that is easily replaceable - and unfortunately to many people, poultry and other animals are easily replaceable.

My guess would be that you aren't making much of a profit if any by selling decent quality stock, and couldn't unless you charged a lot more for them. There just isn't a lot of money to be made in breeding and selling animals, particularly smaller animals like poultry, unless you do it in quantity or sell to very wealthy or very well informed people who are willing to pay for quality.

If you care what happens to them after you sell them and aren't looking to make a buck, then be picky about who you sell to and keep your price high enough to try to at least break even on them. I'd look at what your goals are for your guineas and any other poultry you're breeding and selling. Are you doing it as a hobby? Are you wanting to preserve a breed? Are you wanting to share great birds with other people? Are you wanting to make money or just break even? Ask yourself these types of questions and write down your goals for your birds. That should help you decide where to set your prices, who to sell to, if you should sell, etc.

4. Zootopia

Zootopia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2011
    Abilene, Texas

Gee rob you mean I can't have it all??? Lol. I know what you mean tho, my first goal is of course to have healthy stock. Id like to be able to support my habit by selling some of the stock to good homes. I try to stay in touch with the rookies. It has been a very slow process trying to obtain then hatch the stock I'm looking for. I'm still in the "testing" process of breeds. Getting some to see what I like then what really works for us here. The heat is a consideration in breeds but the Med. breeds are too inclined to battle for my laid back mostly free range flock. (I like the Sumatras but cant see them fitting in). So it may be awhile before I have firm goals in that part of the plan.
    So for now, its a healthy, good quality flock that would help pay its way in egg (mostly) and some stock sales. A flock that we can enjoy, not that I have them sitting in my lap, but friendly and family safe.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  5. TexasLisa

TexasLisa Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2012
    Rosenberg, TX
    Howdy and [​IMG] from Rosenberg, TX
    Lisa :)

6. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Let the girls outside for the first time, they are about 3 weeks old now. Would have let them out sooner but needed a sturdier pen to put them in so the older girls didn't hurt them. They seems to like it. Everyone is back inside and CRASHED out, LOL!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Little Wing

Little Wing Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Just finished up the trial run for the incubator and hatcher I built. I posted pics of the bator a while back so here is the new hatcher. I got it finished the day of lockdown. They both seem to work good. I hatched 22 chicks out of 30 eggs set. Some of them were 2 weeks old by the time I got the bator finished and got them set. Hoping for a better hatch rate next time.

Mostly Black and Lavender Ameraucana with a few Olive Eggers in there somewhere.
    [​IMG]

I made the box out of old cabinet doors.
    [​IMG]

I used parts from an old LG incubator I had.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. GFamily

GFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2013
    Texas
    Ok, so we put watermelon rinds and other fruits and veggies in the run, but we're having problems with ants eating getting in there due to putting the food out there for the chickens. Do any of you guys use wire feeder or something that they can peck at that we can put fruits/veggies in that will connect to the hardware cloth so it's not on the ground? If you use something that's been beneficial to you can you show me a picture or tell me the brand/name. Thanks!!!

9. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    I have seen where people use the wire hanging baskets, could also wire it to the side of the fence.

10. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Today, I went and picked up two Silkie chicks, to be buds with my lone Serama baby. This lady had a set up to die for!!!! It was almost like a maze but with good air flow, everything was in purple and I think light green. She had Emus also, my DD asked if we could get some, LOL! Her and her DH did an excellent job of making the most out of their space! The Buff Rock (4 weeks) is the buddy I had with the Serama before I got the Silkies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by