Texas

Just stopping in to post a few pics (yeah.. i need to take more...)

yokohama chicks (blues)
Just hatched out the other day.. second batch of the blues are incubating

some of the newer chicks.. hatched out a few days ago.. leg banded at hatch so I can sort them all out later!
(in the "holding brooder" keeping warm until they got moved to one of the bigger brooders)

some of the ducklings also in a holding brooder .. most are muscovy.. The muscovy were a surprise hatch since the eggs arrived in such bad shape.. These are only part of the ducklings since the rest were still working on hatching

2 of the goslings that hatched out last night

Still have eggs in the bators..
I have a little EO that has hatched (the only egg I set from our new girl), and a blue sumatra which is a surprise since the rest of the eggs (13 total) arrived cracked / broken / scrambled (seller refused to use proper packing in box)

due to hatch next:
red yokohamas, pekin ducks, then a large batch of ancona ducks
I love the pictures! They are sooo beautiful and so cute!

Thanks.. I never bother to take pics of all the birds since we have so many hatch out.. this year everything but a small handful were shipped eggs. So I ended up with a lot of clear eggs and a few broken

For ID.. I usually use numbered wing bands
But at hatch I will toss on a rubber leg band and make a note of which leg it went on and the color of the band.. then I also make a note of which brooder the chicks went into since they only have 2 legs and I only have so many colors of leg bands!
When I have the time after that batch has hatched I go back and divide the brooder up into breed.. then wing band them by breed groups so I don't have my records a scattered mess when i wing band them

For larger birds (emu chicks especially) I use plastic zip ties.. then as they grow up I move them into velcro leg bands as well as the plastic ties

I don't normally band the geese or ducklings unless I have several different batches of the same breed from different breeders.. lol.. if you have sebastopols it's pretty hard to mistake them for a toulouse or embden (especially once they are feathering out!)

and all muscovy get pinioned .. so I don't need to band them either
Wow, I don't know how you keep up with it all but go you!!!! Sounds like too much for me! I'm glad there are people out there like you who are willing to do all of that!

[COLOR=000080]Yes, I know what you mean!  I have been searching high and low for heritage quality SLW...but none out here.  I did find some amazing heritage quality White Wyondottes, out in Spring Branch, TX....Rebecca Creek Farm. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=000080]I checked out the SLWs out in Seguin....and yeah....hatchery stuff. [/COLOR]

Like i told showbarn, texasmja here has sq slw's and blrw

Well... my first two eggs were supposed to hatch today if I had the temp correct... one is completely dark except for the air cell, so I think it is doing ok... the other wasn't dark like the first, and seemed rather small inside... I cracked it open and lo, the chick was dead =/ looks like it was at 14-15 days development. Makes me sad, but this next time I am going to set up my bator better. This was a learning experience, hopefully this one egg hatches and then I have a few more hatch to give him/her company. *sighs*

Well... my first two eggs were supposed to hatch today if I had the temp correct... one is completely dark except for the air cell, so I think it is doing ok... the other wasn't dark like the first, and seemed rather small inside... I cracked it open and lo, the chick was dead =/ looks like it was at 14-15 days development. Makes me sad, but this next time I am going to set up my bator better. This was a learning experience, hopefully this one egg hatches and then I have a few more hatch to give him/her company. *sighs*

Hey shadow! Been meaning to see hows things are going! Any luck with the roomies or are u still on the hunt? I hope everything is well, jesus knows ive been putting up with alot of my own nonsense lately! But what doesnt kill us makes us stronger, right!?

Are there any physical differences between male/female guineas? I have been trying to decipher from their call, but they all sqwak at the aime time and it hard to distiguish. And are those things on their head their version of a waddle....man these things are some o the strangest creatures...

Hey shadow! Been meaning to see hows things are going! Any luck with the roomies or are u still on the hunt? I hope everything is well, jesus knows ive been putting up with alot of my own nonsense lately! But what doesnt kill us makes us stronger, right!?
Still on the hunt. We can't seem to find anything, and on top of it by the time I get home all I want to do is crash. We have been busy at work, we have 80-90 dogs at the kennel and I have two newbies, and a part time kennel tech working with me at the moment, so I am doing a lot of running around being bossy(which I do not like to do), having to work double because one of the new people can't even clean up dog poop for some reason, racking my brain trying to figure out where to put dogs because our boss doesn't have enough tarps to cover around the sides of pens due to aggressive dogs(she should just buy some new kennels and we wouldn't have this problem =_=), and getting my arm and shoulder yaked to hell tryign to get these dog aggressive dogs down the dang isle to get them in and out. *sighs* We keep looking for places to move, but nothing so far is within budget... i am probably going to have to get rid of my roo's, if not my hens as well. It might be apartment life for me... which sucks royally. I am a little bummed about the egg in the incubator, still don't know if I am doing anything right. The young pullets and cockerel, are sleeping in the big coop with the flock tonight, we shall see how they do... I put them up on the roosts tonight, their first time roosting. The dogs also got stuck in the rain after I sent them to the groomers... so a waste of time and money there... overall, a really bad month. I hope I get some good news soon. So what nonsense has been going on with you? =]

I'm right with you. I had to go out of town a while back and had someone house sitting. when I came back the temp was at 104! I was hoping it hadnt been that way long but I think it killed them. I opened one today that had no movement and I think it went at the same time as yours. :(

Still on the hunt. We can't seem to find anything, and on top of it by the time I get home all I want to do is crash. We have been busy at work, we have 80-90 dogs at the kennel and I have two newbies, and a part time kennel tech working with me at the moment, so I am doing a lot of running around being bossy(which I do not like to do), having to work double because one of the new people can't even clean up dog poop for some reason, racking my brain trying to figure out where to put dogs because our boss doesn't have enough tarps to cover around the sides of pens due to aggressive dogs(she should just buy some new kennels and we wouldn't have this problem =_=), and getting my arm and shoulder yaked to hell tryign to get these dog aggressive dogs down the dang isle to get them in and out. *sighs* We keep looking for places to move, but nothing so far is within budget... i am probably going to have to get rid of my roo's, if not my hens as well. It might be apartment life for me... which sucks royally. I am a little bummed about the egg in the incubator, still don't know if I am doing anything right. The young pullets and cockerel, are sleeping in the big coop with the flock tonight, we shall see how they do... I put them up on the roosts tonight, their first time roosting. The dogs also got stuck in the rain after I sent them to the groomers... so a waste of time and money there... overall, a really bad month. I hope I get some good news soon. So what nonsense has been going on with you? =]

A page or 2 back i had another batch taken by my mom-in-laws boston...bringing that dogs tally to 12 chickens now. Both dw and mil refusevto accept he is the one doing it, but i know! And i have been working shorthanded at work as well, so feel u there! Last week had a couple 7a - 6p for me. Got so many coop renovations to do, plus my sons 1st bday party....so yeah, busy busy busy! Hope everuthing works out for ya!!! Lemme know if u absolutely have to get rod of ur flock

Back
Top Bottom