Texas

Care to give us some pointers to help us avoid this seller and others like them? How do we get the word out on these people?

and a blue sumatra which is a surprise since the rest of the eggs (13 total) arrived cracked / broken / scrambled (seller refused to use proper packing in box)

it's pretty much impossible.. this guy's feedback on eBay was 100%
he claimed that "everyone just raves about my packing"...
roll.png
(that can be taken several ways)

When I pointed out to him that the eggs arrived broken and cracked..and that the ones that were "intact" were probably scrambled he informed me that he has great hatch rates. then pointed out to me that he knows the postal service drops boxes from heights of 6 feet.. so when I asked him that since he knew it WHY not put padding UNDER the eggs and not have them resting on a bare cardboard box.. his response was to give me a partial refund (which I hadn't even asked for). Then informed me that his auction states that he has no control over the postal service.. so I went back and reread his auction.. there was no mention whatsoever about postal service handling
he.gif

My best guess is that when he has someone complain he gives them a refund to shut them up..

At least I got one bird.. the rest of the eggs never developed or were so damaged that I tossed them (broken and leaking)
Air cells were also VERY big.. which tells me he also send old eggs..

In all I'm surprised that I got one chick to hatch out.. (though I was hoping for black and not blue)

Quote:
Thanks.. I never bother to take pics of all the birds since we have so many hatch out.. this year everything but a small handful were shipped eggs. So I ended up with a lot of clear eggs and a few broken

For ID.. I usually use numbered wing bands
But at hatch I will toss on a rubber leg band and make a note of which leg it went on and the color of the band.. then I also make a note of which brooder the chicks went into since they only have 2 legs and I only have so many colors of leg bands!
When I have the time after that batch has hatched I go back and divide the brooder up into breed.. then wing band them by breed groups so I don't have my records a scattered mess when i wing band them

For larger birds (emu chicks especially) I use plastic zip ties.. then as they grow up I move them into velcro leg bands as well as the plastic ties

I don't normally band the geese or ducklings unless I have several different batches of the same breed from different breeders.. lol.. if you have sebastopols it's pretty hard to mistake them for a toulouse or embden (especially once they are feathering out!)

and all muscovy get pinioned .. so I don't need to band them either

it's pretty much impossible.. this guy's feedback on eBay was 100% he claimed that "everyone just raves about my packing"...
roll.png
(that can be taken several ways) When I pointed out to him that the eggs arrived broken and cracked..and that the ones that were "intact" were probably scrambled he informed me that he has great hatch rates. then pointed out to me that he knows the postal service drops boxes from heights of 6 feet.. so when I asked him that since he knew it WHY not put padding UNDER the eggs and not have them resting on a bare cardboard box.. his response was to give me a partial refund (which I hadn't even asked for). Then informed me that his auction states that he has no control over the postal service.. so I went back and reread his auction.. there was no mention whatsoever about postal service handling
he.gif
My best guess is that when he has someone complain he gives them a refund to shut them up.. At least I got one bird.. the rest of the eggs never developed or were so damaged that I tossed them (broken and leaking) Air cells were also VERY big.. which tells me he also send old eggs.. In all I'm surprised that I got one chick to hatch out.. (though I was hoping for black and not blue)
I get what you're saying. It really frustrates me that people are afraid to put honest feedback. BUT since the feed back ststem works both ways, if you give them an honest but bad review they can slam you for it. Plus, if you are hoping to actually get something, like replacement eggs (after you pay the shipping for them, again) you don't want to tick them off. That's one of the perks of BYC, as a "Community" we communicate info - good and bad- amongst ourselves.

Hey their I'm in Parker co I live in aledo I'm in need of help I'm trying to get some used wood or an old coop any help or info will be greatly appreciated thank you

Welcome Daniel. Several people on here have put free pallets to good use on some pretty cool and functional coops. All it takes is a little imagination.

Last night around 11:30 I heard chicken noises, went out & 3 AG hens & the roo that roost in our plum tree were all on the ground in the dark, I managed to catch the 3 hens & put them in a coop, didn't know until this morning that whatever tried to get them had broken a big branch on the plum tree + the 4" of rain didn't help either :(

Why is it so hard to find SLW down here??? *sigh* one guy on CL in Seguin but they ordered, so pretty sure they are hatchery
sad.png
Yes, I know what you mean! I have been searching high and low for heritage quality SLW...but none out here. I did find some amazing heritage quality White Wyondottes, out in Spring Branch, TX....Rebecca Creek Farm.
I checked out the SLWs out in Seguin....and yeah....hatchery stuff.

Back
Top Bottom