Texas

Ok, so we put watermelon rinds and other fruits and veggies in the run, but we're having problems with ants eating getting in there due to putting the food out there for the chickens.  Do any of you guys use wire feeder or something that they can peck at that we can put fruits/veggies in that will connect to the hardware cloth so it's not on the ground?  If you use something that's been beneficial to you can you show me a picture or tell me the brand/name.  Thanks!!!
Simeon over on the Louisiana thread posted a pic of theirs today. It's a suet cage. I'll try to post the pic here

WOW! And it's half the price of a hanging basket (original idea from a previous poster, which was still a great idea.) So I could get several of these things and hang them in the run and fill them up with fresh fruits and veggies.

Thanks to everyone for all of your advice on here. It's greatly appreciated!

hi all just thought id stop by and say happy Memorial Day! its been a good long while since ive been on here! a week just went and snowballed! I know theres a lot of vets here thank you all for your service and thank you for paving the way for soldiers of the past present and future!

oh yea school is kickin muh butt!

Well... I went ahead and cracked open the oldest egg in my incubator today. It had started cracking either sometime last night or during the day today. My husband covered the incubator while he was working so I wonder if it got too hot possibly or if the lil chick suffocated, or if my humidity was just not enough. Made me sad. He was in hatching position and everything... though he had not broken through into the air sack. *sighs* Oh well. Live and learn. I will try again in a week I suppose, this time with my faverolle's eggs and some of my maran's eggs. Strangely enough, he doesn't seem to be mating with my easter eggers.

Need some advice this morning.....my blood is boiling.. here is the deal.

My neighbors moved a few months ago and left their mutts behind. Friday morning, the two mutts were in my yard. Started to shoot them but ran them off instead. Friday evening, I saw the neighbor at the store. He asked if I had seen his dogs. Told him "yep, they were out by my chicken pen this morning. I started to shoot them but ran them off ".....He chuckled. Saturday morning,3 of my babies and about 12 eggs were gone. This morning, my favorite hen was gone. Pile of feathers in my yard. I'm beyond furious. My first reaction is to shoot the sorry mutts. Is that wrong? I live out in the boonies, and I dont think the shelter would come that far out to pick them up and Im sure not hauling them up there.

Need some advice this morning.....my blood is boiling.. here is the deal.

My neighbors moved a few months ago and left their mutts behind. Friday morning, the two mutts were in my yard. Started to shoot them but ran them off instead. Friday evening, I saw the neighbor at the store. He asked if I had seen his dogs. Told him "yep, they were out by my chicken pen this morning. I started to shoot them but ran them off ".....He chuckled. Saturday morning,3 of my babies and about 12 eggs were gone. This morning, my favorite hen was gone. Pile of feathers in my yard. I'm beyond furious. My first reaction is to shoot the sorry mutts. Is that wrong? I live out in the boonies, and I dont think the shelter would come that far out to pick them up and Im sure not hauling them up there.

I am so sorry for your lost. I totally understand your frustration. I think you answered your own question. Shoot them.

Lisa :)

Back
Top Bottom