Texas

Just thought i would pop on real quick. Dh and i are sitting in the bus terminal headed to Oklahoma to start our orientation. Both of us are the proud owners of cdls. Yay! Heard from my sister my ee is laying. She said out looks like a pastel olive. Lol

They are so cute!!! How long will it be before you know what gender they are? Will the dark one turn out to be black?

I've never had Silkies, but my husband (the weight lifting, truck driving He-Man) mentioned he wanted a Silkie! :D He'll just have to be content with his non-egg laying, non-broody Cochin that he hand feeds.
roll.png
Y'all make me want to hatch my own. Hopefully, next weekend we'll get the chicks hoop house built and we can use it as a broody coop next Spring. IF, I can get my hub's to build that new coop for me....he kinda waffles.

Update: I got a call back from the Shar Pei rescue. Really nice person I spoke to. The "puppy" turns out to be 4 years old! I guess I'm not good at guessing dog ages! :D I'm a little timid about adopting an adult dog. A couple of years ago I helped rescue a severely abused dog, video here if interested in his story. After the rescue, I decided to adopt Hank, brought him home and as soon as he saw my cat he went after it. Sorry, can't have that. I had him back at the shelter in two hours. It made me feel like a loser, it was very emotional and I don't want to go through that again.

Have y'all ever adopted an adult dog and had good luck around the chickens?
Most every time for silkie sexing is you either hear crowing or see an egg. So, I will be excited to see if that dark one does turn out to be a roo. The dark chicks mom is a very dark blue so I think that is what it will be. I have some very pretty blue/grays that I have been playing with trying to make lavender. I do not know if that will ever happen but it is fun trying.
If hubby says yes, then run with it!!!!!! Lol. My husband has learned the hard way about me taking a mile when he gives an inch in chicken world. The only draw back for these little fur balls is that they can not be free ranged. Easy pickens for hawks.

Hello everyone !

Have been lurking awhile and finally took the time to join.
This is my first try at chickens, so far I have learned an enormous amount of info.
I see a few of my neighbors here too.
frow.gif
highfive.gif
more chicken people in Jonestown...... wooo hoooo. Hello neighbor

Ok guys, I'm A little East of Dallas and I have Two Wheaten Ameracauna cockerels and an olive Egger Cockerel that is black Copper Marans and Ameraucana, but looks Black Copper Marans, he hatched from a large olive egg, and he is the biggest of all the chicks. Any or all of these little guys are FREE to a good home! These are not hatchery birds, they are out of a Breeder in Georgia! They are almost 4 weeks old.

"There is something inherently creepy about [growing meat in labs]," Specter told NPR's Terry Gross at the time. "But there is something more inherently creepy about the way we deal with the animals that we eat. ... They live a horrible life, and they often die quite cruelly. So the idea of being able to eliminate some of that is extremely exciting for a lot of people."

Creepy, but think of the benefits. They are producing meat cells/fibers in a lab rather than in a living, breathing animal. The downside is it will eliminate completely, at least in the US, farm animals. That's a big downside.
"Despite the obstacles, Post is confident that lab-grown meat is in our future"
Not in my future! This stinks of the Gates family and all of their filthy lies about saving the world.
he.gif
somad.gif

If all the time and effort that was spent on making the worlds most expensive burger was put into changing the mass meat markets ways, it would be time better spent. It is just another way of looking past the giant elephant in the room. From the bringers of global warming.... lol
gig.gif

Quote: I disagree with Specter. For the most part farmers and ranchers treat animals very well, there are exceptions which make it into the spot light. However, anyone that raises animals for a profit, knows they make more if the animals are treated well.

However, as for the "meat" itself, I think people are looking past the very basics of life. All life needs other life to survive and build, cows eat plants, we eat cows, the basic cycle of life. This "meat" only had "electric" food. It may look and act like meat, but what could be the unintended issues. Such as feeding cattle food with sheep in it, the food itself had all the "components" and "numbers" that should have allowed a cow to thrive, but instead we got "mad cow".

I know a lady in the Tyler area that is needing to sell the following. If you are interested, PM me and I will give you the information to get in touch with her.

2 cream crested hens. 1 year old. $35. Buy 2 hens and she will give you a rooster.

8 - 3 month old legbar pullets. 6 Roosters. - $15 each for the pullets. Buy 2 and she will give you a rooster.

I disagree with Specter. For the most part farmers and ranchers treat animals very well, there are exceptions which make it into the spot light. However, anyone that raises animals for a profit, knows they make more if the animals are treated well.
I'm sorry, but I really disagree with your premise that animals are treated well. That's just not true. Maybe traditional farmers and ranchers treat animals reasonably well, but factory farming does not and factory farming is where our cheap food is produced. Factory farming is also working very hard to squeeze family farmers out. The more research into meat and egg production I do the more committed I become to growing the backbone needed to harvest my own meat. Things like "gestational cages" for pigs are just downright horrid. I didn't even know they existed until very recently. Gestational cages increases production because you can basically put a poor sow into a straight jacket and you prevent loss from injury (fighting in too cramped quarters) and you can pack them in tighter than they pack in battery chickens.

Back
Top Bottom