Texas

About 10 days ago I had asked about taming wild chickens.. we are making slow but sure progress! Here are 4 of the 7. 3 of the ones not in the photos had to go back and we are exchanging them for younger ones.. just have to wait for the rain to stop and for it to dry up a bit so we can catch them! Those 3 are so set in their ways and would not stop climbing the hardware cloth! Non stop! I had never seen that before.. freaked me out and I felt terrible! So.. here are these 4! The black and white one has a broken toe that healed wrong pretty sure its beyond help now but doesn't slow her down or give her any obvious pain (poor girl!) Hubby fell in love with her and named her Dusty. The white one my oldest (his first chicken!) fell in love with and named her Daisy. The brown one (not speckled) I named Linda after the gal we got her from.. she is older and pretty flighty but at least doesn't try to eat me when I pick her up! The black and brown spotted one needs a name! Any ideas? Also.. anyone see any breeds that stick out in these mixes? Doesn't matter but am curious! Or any guesses on their ages? I am thinking spring chicks but could be WAY off! Also.. if ya see a roo in them oh please let me know! I am still learning there and hope they are all girls!

I wish I could go there sometime, maybe next year. Yes wish there would be more like that in Austin too. I only know about the Bluebonnet Show. I think the next one is in January (?), I plan on going there and have a look around. Like to look at all the nice birds.
I was going to sign up there too, but when they never meet anyway.... then its wasted time I guess. Or we organize our own meetup thru this forum.

The Bluebonnet show at Texas A&M is January 4, 2014. I will be there. I hope to be showing my Wyandottes this year.

There is a Backyard Chicken Class and an Egg Show!

Last edited:
The Bluebonnet show at Texas A&M is January 4, 2014. I will be there. I hope to be showing my Wyandottes this year.

There is a Backyard Chicken Class and an Egg Show!
Maybe we meet each other there
smile.png

My JG matured later than my other roos. I thought he was a pullet for the longest time. He probably didn't start crowing for a good two months after the other roos....a Cuckoo Maran and two Wellies. It seemed like he kept growing and growing and GROWING, too. His legs were so thick!

Just looking at them now, I can tell how much larger their legs are than the other chicks. Its crazy! But I guess if they weigh twice as much, they need twice the frame to hold it. I have a couple at two weeks that only have a couple teeny tiny tail feathers, and the rest have little poofs of feathers that are almost an inch long. Maybe those two are roos. I hope so!

About 10 days ago I had asked about taming wild chickens.. we are making slow but sure progress! Here are 4 of the 7. 3 of the ones not in the photos had to go back and we are exchanging them for younger ones.. just have to wait for the rain to stop and for it to dry up a bit so we can catch them! Those 3 are so set in their ways and would not stop climbing the hardware cloth! Non stop! I had never seen that before.. freaked me out and I felt terrible! So.. here are these 4! The black and white one has a broken toe that healed wrong pretty sure its beyond help now but doesn't slow her down or give her any obvious pain (poor girl!) Hubby fell in love with her and named her Dusty. The white one my oldest (his first chicken!) fell in love with and named her Daisy. The brown one (not speckled) I named Linda after the gal we got her from.. she is older and pretty flighty but at least doesn't try to eat me when I pick her up! The black and brown spotted one needs a name! Any ideas? Also.. anyone see any breeds that stick out in these mixes? Doesn't matter but am curious! Or any guesses on their ages? I am thinking spring chicks but could be WAY off! Also.. if ya see a roo in them oh please let me know! I am still learning there and hope they are all girls!

Bettie? I love Bettie Page, and I plan on naming my "queen" JG Bettie.

Back
Top Bottom