Texas

well!! I'm prude
lol.png

Awwww. Love you anyway Tammy!
love.gif

Man you guys would have been laughing last night! My mom's church is having a pumpkin patch, and when the pumpkins were delivered, there were a handful of broken ones, so my mom brought em over for the chickens. I put them in there, and I think they thought they were predators! Goofy birds. Took em about 15 mins before they would investigate. When the first started pecking and then carrying on, they FINALLY went in for it. I was laughing at them SO hard!

The Bluebonnet show at Texas A&M is January 4, 2014. I will be there. I hope to be showing my Wyandottes this year.

There is a Backyard Chicken Class and an Egg Show!

All I found for links lead to this one

http://www.bluebonnetclassic.com/#!eventscalendar/c4fi

Is there a better one? It really does not tell much and no pics. If anyone takes a look and could tell me what kind of furry cow that is. Coolest looking beef I have ever seen.

Hey Erikk.  How is that SLW cockerel I gave you doing?

So far wonderfully! He's taken over the flock quickly without much stress to anyone (got 3 eggs from my 3 layers last couple days still). Our family friend who's staying in our motorhome came back with her dog though so I haven't had the opportunity to train my dogs to rooster and rooster to the dogs. When my dogs have come excitedly running out to the fenced run the cockerel did move to put himself between the dogs and his flock (still inside the fenced run). That was VERY encouraging.

Looks like our motorhome-guest is leaving town again for a few days so I want to get the cockerel and dogs acquainted. I was thinking maybe letting him free-range in the yard with one of the silkies I don't care about and let one dog at a time go out and see how they all react. Or is there another better way? I ultimately want the roo to act to defend his flock and I want the dogs to learn the limits the roo sets. Suggestions?

Erik

I just harvested 7 perfect asparagus spears from our asparagus jungle.  We thought it had given up the ghost with the summer drought.  It's amazing how quickly plants respond to a good rain.  

I've got my asparagus on drip though they too seemed to respond to the rain. I haven't picked any of the new spears for fear they were from root splits and thought harvesting would kill/delay the new split-bulb. Or am I way wrong and should I try the spears? (they are SOOO good. Snap, eat, heaven).

This winter we'll probably move the ones we planted 2 years ago. We didn't realize when planting them how long the fern branches would get and they're hanging over our walkway.

Looks like I may have to drop out of school if the shutdown continues... guvment pays my tuition!

Friggin' losers in D.C. will get this ironed out, and back-pay obligations so unless your school kicks you out I wouldn't worry. It's more if the dysfunctional Congress starts cutting programs when they fight over the debt ceiling in two weeks that you might need to worry.

I grew up in California where they went for about a decade never getting a budget passed on time and shutting down every year. My solution was/is "house arrest" in the Capitol building until the budget is passed and send to the President or Governor. No fancy dinners, mistresses, comfy apartments or any of that. They get locked in the Capitol building with sleeping cots and cold sandwiches until they do their **** jobs and pass a budget. Only ways out would be 1) Do the job and pass a budget, 2) Quit/Resign so we can replace their sorry butts, 3) Die.

The current American system of government is BROKEN.

All I found for links lead to this one

http://www.bluebonnetclassic.com/#!eventscalendar/c4fi

Is there a better one? It really does not tell much and no pics. If anyone takes a look and could tell me what kind of furry cow that is. Coolest looking beef I have ever seen.

http://www.bluebonnetclassic.com/

The Bluebonnet Classic Poultry Show is held the first Saturday of the year in College Station in what we consider the best show barn in Texas. The show has become one of the largest poultry shows in Texas. We have an Open Show, Junior Show, Backyard Show, Pigeon Show, and Gamecock Show. We also have the finest raffle and silent auction in the region.

Breeder Class Invitational Requirements

• Non-Member Entries
    The BVPC allows members and non-members to enter the Egg Show. An egg class sponsored by a participating club must have at least three entrants and must also allow entries by non-members. Non-members need to comply with the participating club's rules to be eligible for club prizes.

• Early Registration
    Each participating club must submit an early registration summary by The Egg Show's entry deadline, December 31, 2013. The space allowed for each breed class will be based on numbers submitted by 12.31.13. The Egg Show will establish the layout for tables and all egg class displays. Mailed entries should be sent to the respective club's Egg Chair. All mailed entries must arrive at the show unopened.

• Onsite Registration
    "Breeder Class Invitational" registration is from 8:30 - 9:00am. Participating clubs are responsible for registering their mailed and onsite entries during this time. All entries must be opened onsite and placed in exhibit boxes at the registration table by 9 am. Any eggs left in packaging will not be placed by The Egg Show, and will be destroyed at the end of the show. A registration summary, including a list of all participants, contact information, totals, and fees, must be submitted no later than 9 am the day of the show.

• Late Entries
    Participating clubs will set their own entry deadlines, and will receive and process early, late and mailed entries through 9 am the day of the show. Any entries after 9am will be registered by The Egg Show, and assessed a $1 late fee, due to the BVPC. Late entries will be limited to space available, on a first come first serve basis, after all entries to The Egg Show are processed.

• Judging Coordination
    The Bluebonnet Egg Show Open classes will be judged first. The Egg Show Registrar will notify each participating club judge when they can begin judging. The Egg Show allows each breed club an unimpeded 30 minutes for judging. Clubs will use approved judging criteria, language, and definitions, and provide an approved judge and clerk for its class alone. The breed clubs will conduct their judging and awards in a way that does not interfere with The Egg Show process and judging.

• Points and Awards
    Points for Egg Show Grand Champions are awarded in Open classes only. Breed clubs will determine their own awards, based on approved club requirements. No additional ranking points are awarded for wins in breed classes.

• Breed Club Awards
    Breed clubs are welcome to display their ribbons and trophies on the main table of Egg Show prizes. If you need to coordinate your club's award process with The Egg Show awards, please notify the Egg Show Registrar prior to the show.

• Promote Junior Members
    The Brazos Valley Poultry Club encourages family and junior participation in its events. Breed clubs are encouraged to invite junior participation in the egg show, and feature a junior prize.

• Breed Club Information Booth
    Breed clubs are encouraged to set up a family friendly educational display about the breed and its eggs. Breed clubs are permitted to hang their club banners and promote their sponsors within their own club display area. The Egg Show encourages your donations of fertile hatching display eggs to the BVPC auction.

Last edited:
So far wonderfully! He's taken over the flock quickly without much stress to anyone (got 3 eggs from my 3 layers last couple days still). Our family friend who's staying in our motorhome came back with her dog though so I haven't had the opportunity to train my dogs to rooster and rooster to the dogs. When my dogs have come excitedly running out to the fenced run the cockerel did move to put himself between the dogs and his flock (still inside the fenced run). That was VERY encouraging.

Looks like our motorhome-guest is leaving town again for a few days so I want to get the cockerel and dogs acquainted. I was thinking maybe letting him free-range in the yard with one of the silkies I don't care about and let one dog at a time go out and see how they all react. Or is there another better way? I ultimately want the roo to act to defend his flock and I want the dogs to learn the limits the roo sets. Suggestions?

Erik

Glad to hear he is doing so well. Sounds like you are going about it the right way. If push comes to shove, the dog will win if he is determined, especially since the young cockerel has no spurs at this point. All the cockerel can really do at this point is posture. If the dog respects that, it will go fine. If the dog does not respect it and test the cockerel, it will not be good. It is important that the issue of dominance between the dog and the cockerel be established from the first. If the dog ever cows the cockerel, he will be ruined, so it might be best to wait a little more. It is hard to say really, it all depends on the dog. It is a battle of wills and the dog is better equipped. There are things you can do to help the cockerel out, but it takes some effort. You can use a shock collar. I used one to train my Irish Setter. He was uncontrollable at first and would go right after the chickens. I bought a cheap shock collar off amazon.com and used it to train him. The collar has a vibrate mode and adjustable shock rate. I put him in a large 60' x 60' pen with some chickens and every time he got close to a bird I buzzed him until he stopped going after the birds. He responded more to the vibrate then the shock (of course I did not have the shock on maximum, it was just enough for him to feel it). All you really need to do is get your dog to associate the buzz or the shock with your chickens. For instance, when he looks at them, buzz him, if he goes after them shock him. If you can get him to this point, then when the cockerel comes after him or starts posturing close to him, he will back off.

I did not even think about it when you guys were out the other day. I would have given you the shock collar system. If you want we can meet in town in the next couple days and I will give it to you (we are headed to Galveston on Friday). Just give me a call.

I've got my asparagus on drip though they too seemed to respond to the rain. I haven't picked any of the new spears for fear they were from root splits and thought harvesting would kill/delay the new split-bulb. Or am I way wrong and should I try the spears? (they are SOOO good. Snap, eat, heaven).

This winter we'll probably move the ones we planted 2 years ago. We didn't realize when planting them how long the fern branches would get and they're hanging over our walkway.

The asparagus ferns make a jungle. And it's a challenge to sort through them to find the tender young spears. I think if you have a fair number of ferns, it's okay to harvest the spears. I even harvest the skinny ones. But you probably don't want to cut back the ferns too much. I'm no expert but I'm just going by what is working for us. If you transplant your asparagus it may slow down production by a year or so. But as you say, they are sooo good, it's worth the wait.

Back
Top Bottom