Texas

So, we just came home from the store and as we pull to the end of the driveway our car headlights shine on the horse feeder. There is movement....there were FIVE freakin' raccoons under the feeder!!! We have NEVER seen raccoons under the feeder like that!! The worst part, is that it is only about 50 feet away from my chickens.

The coons were pretty big but my guess is that they are young.

THAT CONFIRMS MY SUSPICION ABOUT THE GARDEN CORN RAID THIS SUMMER!! :barnie

Those neighbors of mine are commercial farmers, but they are also good people. There a lot of people like them out here in the area I live in. They are Homestead Heritage people. They have their own little community of people with old fashioned beliefs. They are all super hard workers and super nice. I'm happy to have them as my neighbors, over a bunch of teenage crooks any day.
What the heck are "old fashioned beliefs"?

They don't believe in watching TV, or using modern technology unless they have no other choice. They believe in making everything they have and performing every task by hand, as though they lived 100 years ago. They don't care for the modern day attitude much, and they live off the land as much as possible. They have weekend sales here where they make their own clothes and furniture. It doesn't look like the modern day fancy stuff like you would see at HomeZone or anything. It's old fashioned in a different way, but it is very nice looking stuff, it just looks old. They are very hardworking people. They do everything they can by hand. I build a lot of things myself, but I use modern day equipment and products to do it. They don't, every piece of wood is cut down from the tree and shaped by hand. They work hard.

They don't believe in watching TV, or using modern technology unless they have no other choice. They believe in making everything they have and performing every task by hand, as though they lived 100 years ago. They don't care for the modern day attitude much, and they live off the land as much as possible. They have weekend sales here where they make their own clothes and furniture. It doesn't look like the modern day fancy stuff like you would see at HomeZone or anything. It's old fashioned in a different way, but it is very nice looking stuff, it just looks old. They are very hardworking people. They do everything they can by hand. I build a lot of things myself, but I use modern day equipment and products to do it. They don't, every piece of wood is cut down from the tree and shaped by hand. They work hard.

Is that the place I've heard about where they do like tours and seminars and stuff?

I'm not sure about that. We have a small tour village here in Waco, built like a small city that they use to do that. That's not the same people. No actual people live there. It's just for study purposes and field trips. I'm not sure if these people interact with the outside world much unless it involves business. They stay pretty secluded, even when you are their neighbor. The men all work in big business somehow and all make good money. The women don't work at all, they homeschool the children and do household stuff, and farming. They do advertise who they are, but I'm not sure why, because you can't join them unless you already are a part of them somewhere else. They all have amish and polish names and they have a specific religion that I won't name here, because I don't want to offend anyone. It's not weird, they are completely normal......this just isn't a place to discuss that. But they are super great neighbors. They are very honest, and you can always count on them when you need help with the manual labor stuff.

So, we just came home from the store and as we pull to the end of the driveway our car headlights shine on the horse feeder. There is movement....there were FIVE freakin' raccoons under the feeder!!! We have NEVER seen raccoons under the feeder like that!! The worst part, is that it is only about 50 feet away from my chickens.

The coons were pretty big but my guess is that they are young.

THAT CONFIRMS MY SUSPICION ABOUT THE GARDEN CORN RAID THIS SUMMER!!
barnie.gif
it's time for some spicy curry soup. Save some skins for a Davy Crockett hat

I always wanted to be Amish...until I found out they have no air-conditioning!! Then I decided I could be Mennonite instead. :D

As it is, I was born and raised Baptist, married by Methodist and have been to more Catholic services in the last 30 years than anything else. I guess that's why I have a laissez faire attitude toward others beliefs. Whom am I to judge...unless they are doing something creepy...then I judge.

....okay, I'll shut up now.

I'm not sure about that. We have a small tour village here in Waco, built like a small city that they use to do that. That's not the same people. No actual people live there. It's just for study purposes and field trips. I'm not sure if these people interact with the outside world much unless it involves business. They stay pretty secluded, even when you are their neighbor. The men all work in big business somehow and all make good money. The women don't work at all, they homeschool the children and do household stuff, and farming. They do advertise who they are, but I'm not sure why, because you can't join them unless you already are a part of them somewhere else. They all have amish and polish names and they have a specific religion that I won't name here, because I don't want to offend anyone. It's not weird, they are completely normal......this just isn't a place to discuss that. But they are super great neighbors. They are very honest, and you can always count on them when you need help with the manual labor stuff.
That sounds like them. I saw an article in one of the "farmy" magazines I read and noticed that it was in Waco, and there was religion involved like the Amish. The article said that you could buy their products and they did classes and farm tours. That just absolutely fascinates me.

I always wanted to be Amish...until I found out they have no air-conditioning!! Then I decided I could be Mennonite instead.
big_smile.png

As it is, I was born and raised Baptist, married by Methodist and have been to more Catholic services in the last 30 years than anything else. I guess that's why I have a laissez faire attitude toward others beliefs. Whom am I to judge...unless they are doing something creepy...then I judge.

....okay, I'll shut up now.

LOL. It sure would take some getting used to, not to have AC at all.

But I do love the culture of the doing things from scratch and making quality items. Wish I had done more sight seeing when we lived out on the east coast. There were some Amish stores we went to but we never actually went to the communities in actual Amish country because we were always working.

Back
Top Bottom