Texas

They are Mennonite..

We have a Mennonite community near us but I have not heard that they ever do tours or classes. Some of the young ladies work in town - one at bakery. Lived next door to a Mennonite family when we lived in Washington DC area but they were modern and did not do any of the farming or even dress differently. I think the heritage and culture is awesome.

There are some that live in the Bastrop area too.

I always thought it would be "cool" to have a whole subdivision of homestead types. Not necessarily all the same religion, but all with the same homesteading goal in mind. Even communal "work for hay" fields for livestock... People who actually want to take care of themselves.

...the idea of a communal hay field makes me laugh. I'm a conservative for goodness sake! hahaha!

The Amish are a tight group. Their ideology is: "In this world, but not of it" That's why they don't like to associate with people outside of their religion.

I toured Amish country in Indiana and Illinois. I have never been to the Ohio or the Pennsylvania colonies, though.

The Mennonites seem more open...not that I know any. :D

Cold Icey weather here in north TX. My first hen ever to go broody has decided to do so NoW in this mess!
Im not sure if my warm blooded southern chickies are gona make it!
hu.gif
smile.png

mine hatched yesterday, so good luck to you.

The weatherman just said more very cold weather coming around Christmas. But it's supposed to be pretty nice next week...at least in the Austin area.

The weatherman just said more very cold weather coming around Christmas. But it's supposed to be pretty nice next week...at least in the Austin area.
Yes next week is nice, warm, may even hit 70F. Then on Dec 21, I will head to SaiGon which is 87 high, 80 low currently .. just can't wait.
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom