Texas

We are from Texas....Wills Point to be exact. Almost half way between Dallas and Tyler.

I need to find someone local to swap chicken sitting duties with when we go out of town. Anybody know anyone close?
lol.png

The fire danger is so scary. I would love to see ANY kind of rain.

Like most of you, we depend on the county and volunteer fire departments... We are also on a 15 mile dead end road, and close to 2000 people would be trapped if a fire came between us and the exit... And the fire department would not be able to get in.

I saw this happen with flooding about ten years ago. I hope to never encounter it with fire.

I agree. Everyone be smart and cautious.

Well I knew it wouldn't be long before I had a stupid question---sooo here it is. Now I have this 2 week old Australorp chick I've named Benny (in case it's a girl I can name it Penny!) anyway, I feel the need to get it another to keep it company---the other chicks and chickens still don't approve of him---If I get it one from the same friend it will be it's sister possibly---is that okay?---I guess it doesn't matter---I read somewhere that up to 10 or 15 generations inbreed is alright--no deformities right? Anybody got a clue or experience with this? I'll check back later this weekend for replies......Enjoy the holiday weekend. Happy Easter and God bless. Sharon

Hay my fellow Texans I actually heard thunder last night. Keep your fingers crossed. Well my DH this morning was was digging out his indian headdress and his grass skirt from the old trunk in the closet, then he goes and gets his rain sticks out of the hall closet. I ask him what are you doing. he said well I'm going to get my a 12 pak of Bud then I'm gonna go out in the back yard on Saturday night and do an indian rain dance. I look at him and said really since when is an indian blond hair and has blue eyes. He just looks at my like I know what I'm doing. I tell him okay I'll take a video so I can post it on the net. He tells me ya'll see it will rain. I just have to laugh and go with the flow.
celebrate.gif

It's been cloudy here every day and some times I can actually smell rain.. but nothing. I hate to think what my water bill is going to be just from keeping my garden alive.

Hello from Houston! Native Texan here too. I think I read that this was the driest spring since the 1950's. 1954 ? Can't wait for the wind to stop and the rain to come.

Quote:
Considering many breeders pick the best chicks with confermation to enhance the breed. To accomplish this is: Line breeding =pure breed
borthers and sister, this is what the BS friend told me .
In line breeding, starts----mate fahter broad cock - mother broad hen = out comes F1 cock and F1 hen___ so now we bring back F1 hen to mate the father and F1 cock to mate the moter ==F2's
F2cock and F2hen from father side---------F2cock and F2hen from mother side
we mate F2cock fahter side------to---------F2hen mother side and F2hen father side mate to F2cock mother side== F3's
F3cock and F3hen father side----------------F3cock and F3hen mother side
we mate F3cock father side------------------F3hen mther side and F3hen father side mate to F3cock mother side==F4's
F4's=pure
F4= boad cock and broad hen

Quote:
Deanna could those other reds be New Hampshire Reds--- Yes i think that is what she is thanks. I was thinking of that name too and it just did not sound right to me at the time. LOL
Dh just finished our chicken tractor and all the babies are out there now. I need to get my camera and upload the pics to my computer and then I will post it. It is nothing fancy and not painted was like he was in a hurry to get it done. LOL But that is just his personality. I can go back in a paint it later.

Quote:
HI neighbor I am in Decatur. I know what you mean about seeing the different breeds. I was over at my neighbors yesterday and they have decided to get more into chickens, hatching, good breeding pairs ect and try and sell some eggs. Well while I was there I saw 2 of theirs I really liked. Richard told me that those are the ones his wife likes too I was like why are they still in the cage me I would be taking them out and hiding them before the person got their to collect some chicks from them. lol
I told her those were my favorites too. I think she is going to take them out for me I am not sure because we were all joking about it. And no sooner do we leave that person drove up lol. She was really late getting their too. I will call them tomorrow and see if they still have them and maybe get them from them.
he just got him a good stock of lavender Cochin's from someone off line that has a really good breed stock. So told him when we get moved I am going to get some from him.
we are just going 2 miles up the road to some bigger land.

deana

Back
Top Bottom