Texas

For all new chicken owners, I just figured out a MUST have if you have more than just a few chickens, wait for it......rubber boots!!!! Just bought my first pair 2 weeks ago for $20 (got the pretty ones with pink horses on them) and I LOVE THEM!!!! My sneakers would get so much poop in the treads that I could not walk inside with them, so I was wearing flip flops. Those do not go well with sharp beaks and pretty nail polish, plus changing the water was always a pain, but they pooped wiped off easier.

With these boots, I just throw them on, on my way out the door and take them off when I walk back in. No chicken issues and no fire ant bites!!!! Can't believe I waited so long to get some, o'h the years of torture
gig.gif
!!!!

For all new chicken owners, I just figured out a MUST have if you have more than just a few chickens, wait for it......rubber boots!!!! Just bought my first pair 2 weeks ago for $20 (got the pretty ones with pink horses on them) and I LOVE THEM!!!! My sneakers would get so much poop in the treads that I could not walk inside with them, so I was wearing flip flops. Those do not go well with sharp beaks and pretty nail polish, plus changing the water was always a pain, but they pooped wiped off easier.

With these boots, I just throw them on, on my way out the door and take them off when I walk back in. No chicken issues and no fire ant bites!!!! Can't believe I waited so long to get some, o'h the years of torture
gig.gif
!!!!
I picked up some 'Sloggers' for my barn duty and they are my go-to yard shoes. I also have some wells for when the puddles are higher but slip-on rubber shoes are a must!

I never have, but plan on it in the future. Yard bird tastes so much better than store bird. I haven't decided if I want to skin the chicken or go ahead and pluck the feathers. Skinning would be easier, but the skin is the best part of a yard bird. 

If I was rich, I would buy one of those pluckers! :D

Just had a thought... Harley is getting into chickens BIG TIME. He might get him a plucker to pluck all his chickens and maybe I could borrow it! :ya  

Do you have a bug here in my house? I am planing on getting me one this winter. I am going to build mine. Going to get the parts off of eBay if I remember right they run under $375 for all the parts but the motor. I already have a motor for it.

I am only a year older than you two!

Trying to catch up, I was 700 post behind, not sure how that is possible!  So I  had to skip a few.

I am very sorry for the Chicken, chick, cat and dog losses :hugs That is always hard to do even when you know it if for the best.

Welcome to all the new Texan Chicken people!

Someone asked about Bieldelders, here is a thread on them
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700814/bielefelder

Chookschicks also has some project birds call Konza Prairie Rangers, seems pretty cool!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/695265/konza-prairie-rangers

I started back on feeding fermented feed. I find it pretty easy, but I don't have the number of birds a lot of you do.  I just use those 5 gallon homer buckets from Home Depot and keep 2 going at all times. Seems to help with water consumption in the summer. Here is a great thread on FF.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644300/fermenting-feed-for-meat-birds

Chookchicks is selling her birds. She's got some really nice ones!

Back
Top Bottom