Texas

Quote:
A fellow chickaholic, so what kind of babies are you getting Thursday? I have lost many ckickens to wild animals . I'm really tired of MT lions right about now!!!
hit.gif

I have some more ameracana pullets comming and getting 5 silkies. My husband is the one that talked me into getting a few silkies.. So I am giving them a shot to see how I like them. Of course I love all little cute innocent lil chicks.. lol
lol.png

Quote:
I've got one coming out in broad daylight and snatching chickens.. 2pm saturday .. got my rooster.

That's awful
sad.png
. I think this Fall and winter is going to be harsh in regards to the preds. They're not enjoying it but mine are spending a lot of time in the run because of the hawks right now. You gotta figure the drought has really had a negative effect on the rabbit/field mouse and rat populations...... The preds will be looking for meals wherever and whenever they can find them.

I spent last weekend reworking my run .. my plan this weekend is to cover it and cut the pop door in the coop .. they are going to be ticked off, but I've got to keep them penned until I can figure out another plan ... (want a dog .. DH isn't on board with that yet)

Wow! That's terrible, texasgal! The coyotes have been very close to our house, but none of them have come into the yard!! I think I'm going to talk to my husband about setting traps again. I don't want to lose any birds, and it's only gonna get worse as we get further into fall and winter.

Quote:
I agree .. I'm pulling out my traps, snares, and don't even go out without my .22 .............. He was big beautiful and apparently hungry .... but he can't mooch off me anymore... ugh..

Quote:
That's awful
sad.png
. I think this Fall and winter is going to be harsh in regards to the preds. They're not enjoying it but mine are spending a lot of time in the run because of the hawks right now. You gotta figure the drought has really had a negative effect on the rabbit/field mouse and rat populations...... The preds will be looking for meals wherever and whenever they can find them.

I spent last weekend reworking my run .. my plan this weekend is to cover it and cut the pop door in the coop .. they are going to be ticked off, but I've got to keep them penned until I can figure out another plan ... (want a dog .. DH isn't on board with that yet)

Thankfully, I've got two LGDs. Plus two ankle biters that seem to have hyper sensitive hearing since they seem to hear everything from inside the house at night
hmm.png
. The LGDs don't have direct access to the coop and run but they, and the sheep, sleep right next to it so they provide pretty good protection. The peace of mind is priceless. Hope you can talk DH into getting a pooch
fl.gif

I have my Llamas, goats, and sheep, and calf running with my chickens.. except the chickens have their own house. but I always catch them sleeping in the barn on top of the sheep and goats during the day..
big_smile.png

Hey Yall, I'm in Huntsville, Texas. Born and raised. All my family is or has worked for the Prison System. I have 6 white leghorn hen, 1 roo, 11 RIR on the way. Got the bathtub ready!!!

I can't wait to see my new babes!!!! I'm hoping this time getting them as chicks, I can ease that human sweetness in there. My flock now, I bought at 16 weeks, and they are still a little leary of me and my husband. They will not allow a strange person to enter their run.

Back
Top Bottom