Texas

I wasn't keeping them in the coop which I still need to work on. During the day I had then in a small area that could be moved around the back hard and then I would put them up in the garage at night (I've since learned that we have bobcats, foxes as well as the known raccoons and possums). When I first lost a rooster during the DAY, I assumed hawk because I could not find a trace on the ground. So I put a cover on. I forgot the cover and another disappeared. Then a neighbor called one afternoon yelling about a raccoon getting my last rooster (my poor brave boy). I had only assumed aerial threats during the day. :(

So have been trying to trap the raccoon, working on predator-proofing the yard, and have also gotten a Rottweiler rescue to deter any more attacks. And I still move the chickens inside the garage at night.

Sorry, for the abbreviations:
EE = Easter Egger
BCM = Black Copper Marans
CL = Cream Legbar

I'm going for a colorful egg basket. :)

Last edited:
I'm on my second trap from Animal Control (the first one was too small) but I think that the raccoon is avoiding the backyard because of the Rottweiler--I've been keeping her indoors until the fence is upgraded to 6' so I don't know if the raccoon is staying away from the trap for that reason. Last week the neighbor behind me called to say that there was a fox in his yard. I have the best neighbors trying to help my chickens stay alive but I never knew we had so many varmints in this area until I tried to keep chicks.

The two I have left are in my profile pic. A buff hen named King (we thought she was a rooster) and a white one named Angel (she has always been a girly girl). They are more pets thN livestock.

(snipping for brevity) I currently have 12 of my hens eggs in my incubator and I have some eggs I bought online that will be here this week. (more snipping)

I've never tried hatching before...but it looks like fun--and addicting! What is your hatch rate? Isn't it nerve-racking that whole three weeks? What are you planning to do with the chicks? Are you going to show them? Do you know Paige? I met her at the Fort Worth Stock Show this year and her silkies were positively gorgeous!

What kind of incubator did you choose? I haven't let myself research them because I'm afraid I'll be hooked for good.

Paige is a silkie breeder out in Aledo. Our silkies came from the feedstore so it was amazing to see how different the show quality birds looked. I thought maybe you were lucky enough to start your flock with some of her lines. She is very friendly, helpful, and patient with newbies like me (and my young sons).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom