Texas

Yes, I am excited. Most of the time people think chickens as a dumb bird, but with proper training they can be really smart. Not saying that they're all smart because we have to admit that we all have those one or two birds who never what they're doing.
1f602.png

Well let this years bee adventure begin. I cut them out of a friends old camper yesterday I tried putting them into one of my hives this morning. I hope I got the queen and hopefully they will stay. ( For all wondering only got stung twice) :)

Well let this years bee adventure begin. I cut them out of a friends old camper yesterday I tried putting them into one of my hives this morning. I hope I got the queen and hopefully they will stay. ( For all wondering only got stung twice)
smile.png
Were you wearing protective gear and using a smoker by any chance? I am curious about risk/reward for attempting to raise bees for honey considering that I have youngish children around.

Were you wearing protective gear and using a smoker by any chance?  I am curious about risk/reward for attempting to raise bees for honey considering that I have youngish children around. 
I used smoker and jacket/veil I have heard how bees get a bad rap and how docile they can be. I was truly surprised how docile they were for such a big hive while I was pulling it apart.but it was really a cool experience

Were you wearing protective gear and using a smoker by any chance? I am curious about risk/reward for attempting to raise bees for honey considering that I have youngish children around.

We were hoping to get bees this year but the timing was off so I'm shooting for next year. But we finally made the decision to do it after talking to folk at the bee exhibit at the State Fair. Young couple with a child, 4 or 5 years old. That kid knew about bees even as young as he was. They told us that he was involved with bee keeping and had no problems. I figured if a little kid can be around the bees and do well, and even be able to tell me a few things about the bees they had in a glass hive there, then it couldn't be as worrisome as I had thought.

I plan on it. First, I need to finish the barn/coop I am making then it is off to make momma happy with her green house. Because, we all know if momma isn't happy, nobody is happy.
wink.png
Even though these days I feel more like
old.gif
after a long day.
We are doing the same thing! We are finishing the coop now, the chicks are brooding inside. Then we are building a greenhouse. Eventually we want to put aquaponics in the greenhouse.

We were hoping to get bees this year but the timing was off so I'm shooting for next year.  But we finally made the decision to do it after talking to folk at the bee exhibit at the State Fair.  Young couple with a child, 4 or 5 years old.  That kid knew about bees even as young as he was.  They told us that he was involved with bee keeping and had no problems.  I figured if a little kid can be around the bees and do well, and even be able to tell me a few things about the bees they had in a glass hive there, then it couldn't be as worrisome as I had thought.
my 11 year old went with me

Back
Top Bottom