Texas

Hello to all the new folks joining the BYC! Been out myself for a few months fighting cancer but just about got it whipped! Glad to be back around. Glad to help anyone I can. My flock is doing good this past year. Although I did lose both my Black Australorp hens. But got some newcomers joining my flock this year. 3 Brown leghorn hens and 3 Barred Rocks. Looking forward to another fun year!

Is anyone familiar with building with pallets? I'm planning on a rather large building on my land, and my plans are using pallets and boards from the fence we just pulled down. I'm pretty nervous about it as it will be my first time doing most of the building by myself as my building partner is now over 80 and feels this project is too much for him. If I get it done right, it will be about a 26X17 building. Most will be a coop, with a small section for storage and such.

Is anyone familiar with building with pallets?  I'm planning on a rather large building on my land, and my plans are using pallets and boards from the fence we just pulled down.  I'm pretty nervous about it as it will be my first time doing most of the building by myself as my building partner is now over 80 and feels this project is too much for him.  If I get it done right, it will be about a 26X17 building.  Most will be a coop, with a small section for storage and such.

I looked into using pallets before I decided to build an open air coop. One of the biggest issues with pallets is removing the wood without splitting the boards to pieces. The best solution to that was to use a sawzall to cut the nails between the slats and two by fours.
The other issue with pallets is to make sure you get pallets that have not been sprayed with pesticides. You can do a google or bing search to find more info on that.

Hope this helps and good luck!

David

Last edited:
Greetings to you from the land of never ending snow.  I've seen 2 - 3 days where it's gotten briefly above freezing (for a couple of hours, mid day) since December!  Currently, about 4' of snow covering my garden.  Any how, enough about me!  I wanna hear about you.  I MAY be taking a trip to Guatemala in July.  It will be a mission trip, and I'm hoping to be able to take the components for an incubator, along with a bunch of hatching eggs, and veggie seeds.  I will be part of a missions team going to help a local pastor as he works with the children in 3 villages.  He does:  feeding programs, health clinics, teaching and assisting with sanitation (water treatment and composting toilets) and education.  If I'm able to go, my focus will be on teaching sustainable farming.  I'm thinking, raised bed, lasagna or deep mulch method coupled with chicken tractor to increase fertility for gardening, help feed the chickens, and keep the chicks safe from predators.  

So, this is where I'm looking for your help.  This is as close as I could get to Guatemala on BYC!  Can you please tell me what works and does not work for you in your gardening and poultry practices.  What kinds of predators will most likely be encountered south of the border.  (I realize that most predators don't carry visas and they don't pay attention to the border patrol, so I'm assuming that you have a bit of similarity to what will be encountered in Guatemala... (or at least more so than me here in Maine!)  Have you found that breeds with large combs do better in the heat than small combed chickens?  Would a tractor on the ground even work, or would the chicks be eaten alive by fire ants and such?
Thanks for doing the good. I'm from south Texas,always hot weather. Honestly i don't think a tractor would work in Guatemala. If your going to help poor people they can't afford spending money on chicken feed, so take some leghorn hatching eggs they're the only ones that eat the less and produce the most eggs."Best layers of all breeds and eat less than any other breed(125 grams a day) Plus can hadle the heat.

I've read his info, and been in contact with him. at this point, I'm just gathering info, and seeing if the poultry venture would even be feasible as a short term project. It would entail teaching some one to run an incubator, and how to tend chicks. Yes, the feed may be an issue for the natives. Certainly the gardening venture would be prosperous and easy enough to do, but we all know how chickens and gardening go together like peas and carrots! IMO, the predator issue seems to be the greatest draw back. Thanks all for your info and resources. Hope you're enjoying nice weather. We're headed into an other minus 5* night. Hopefully the last negative night for us till next fall.

Hello!
I live in Dallas texas, and im looking for malay rooster or hens , do you know how can i buy it ? Do you know a farm they have it? Or in online page?
I dont know nothing about rooster, but i saw a video on youtube, and they said that they are 30 inches tall, that is why i like them
I have a big rooster looks like a malay mix he is big i don't know the height but i can measure him.
I can take a picture of him tomorrow. I only found this in my cell. This is fighting rooster so you can't have them with other Males. I got this from a gamgamefam. I wanted to use it for my rock chickens to get meat chicken but i think is a bad idea since the cockerels will be fighting. So I'm not gonna use it.

Last edited:
Round Rock Texas Hello everyone! Would someone north of the Red River close the door it's cold down here (-:

Back
Top Bottom