Texas

I looked into using pallets before I decided to build an open air coop. One of the biggest issues with pallets is removing the wood without splitting the boards to pieces. The best solution to that was to use a sawzall to cut the nails between the slats and two by fours.
The other issue with pallets is to make sure you get pallets that have not been sprayed with pesticides. You can do a google or bing search to find more info on that.

Hope this helps and good luck!

David
I have built all my coops from pallets....but they may be a bit crude for your liking. Here's a few pictures....

This is the base, and the other two are the front and back. I don't take the boards off, I use the pallets whole. I cut a hole in the base and install a ladder so the chickens can be protected from the weather both inside and outside. Plus I add a yard on the front.

Here's the end result. Not at all fancy, but quite inexpensive. I don't keep my feed in it however.

Hello to all the new folks joining the BYC! Been out myself for a few months fighting cancer but just about got it whipped! Glad to be back around. Glad to help anyone I can. My flock is doing good this past year. Although I did lose both my Black Australorp hens. But got some newcomers joining my flock this year. 3 Brown leghorn hens and 3 Barred Rocks. Looking forward to another fun year
Sorry to hear about the Cancer and the lost hens
Glad to hear you are whipping its *** and looking forward to new hens
God Bless you

Hello to all the new folks joining the BYC! Been out myself for a few months fighting cancer but just about got it whipped! Glad to be back around. Glad to help anyone I can. My flock is doing good this past year. Although I did lose both my Black Australorp hens. But got some newcomers joining my flock this year. 3 Brown leghorn hens and 3 Barred Rocks. Looking forward to another fun year!

Welcome back! It's always good to hear someone getting the upper hand on cancer. I have 3 Barred Rocks myself. I really like them. My favs are the Buff Orps, Australorps and EE's.

I looked into using pallets before I decided to build an open air coop. One of the biggest issues with pallets is removing the wood without splitting the boards to pieces. The best solution to that was to use a sawzall to cut the nails between the slats and two by fours.
The other issue with pallets is to make sure you get pallets that have not been sprayed with pesticides. You can do a google or bing search to find more info on that.

Hope this helps and good luck!

David

That's a good point about the pesticides. I'll look out for that. For the rest - we have used the sawzall before on pallets when I built a quickie teen brooder, but this time, I'm not worrying about the boards. The pallets will mostly be the frame. The walls are going to be the old fence boards. My *plan* is to only have to buy bolts, nails, corner posts and the roofing portion. Oh, and concrete blocks for the base. I'm thinking of digging out about 3-4 inches, laying down the old fence wire, then the blocks and adding dirt back into the middle. I figure that will help deter any diggers from getting in. The Sam Houston National Forest is just behind my back fence, so I expect to have to deal with more than the suburban predators that I have now.

I have built all my coops from pallets....but they may be a bit crude for your liking. Here's a few pictures.... This is the base, and the other two are the front and back. I don't take the boards off, I use the pallets whole. I cut a hole in the base and install a ladder so the chickens can be protected from the weather both inside and outside. Plus I add a yard on the front. Here's the end result. Not at all fancy, but quite inexpensive. I don't keep my feed in it however.
I like them, think they look pretty darn cool. Good idea to leave them as they are. A double layer to keep raccoons and such from reaching through as easily.

Don't forget Facebook. Your sure to find other chicken people there.
Here in the San Antonio Area there is a Facebook group called "San Antonio Metro Area Poultry Exchange "

I don't know how to use facebook very well but need to learn. I'll look up SAMAPE. Maybe I can find someone local with peafowl and swans. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom