Texas

3 dogs just came by AGAIN. Caught them early in the act before they could do any real damage. Last time they got 3.
1f613.png
The chickens are probably not going to lay good for at least three days. **sigh**

The downfalls of being a chicken keeper and lover.

3 dogs just came by AGAIN. Caught them early in the act before they could do any real damage. Last time they got 3.
1f613.png
The chickens are probably not going to lay good for at least three days. **sigh**

The downfalls of being a chicken keeper and lover.
a dead dog is the downfall of not keeping your animals contained and them killing my livestock...just how I feel about it. I have 2 dogs that run around my property now that are wild as long as they don't mess with anything all is good

Does anyone know a breeder that sells silkies or bantam Cochins

I don't know if you're looking for a breeder specifically but, our TSC (in El Paso) had Silkie chicks yesterday.I'm pretty sure Murray McMurray hatchery has Silkies as well. I dint know about the other ones. Goodluck on your search!

Greetings to you from the land of never ending snow. I've seen 2 - 3 days where it's gotten briefly above freezing (for a couple of hours, mid day) since December! Currently, about 4' of snow covering my garden. Any how, enough about me! I wanna hear about you. I MAY be taking a trip to Guatemala in July. It will be a mission trip, and I'm hoping to be able to take the components for an incubator, along with a bunch of hatching eggs, and veggie seeds. I will be part of a missions team going to help a local pastor as he works with the children in 3 villages. He does: feeding programs, health clinics, teaching and assisting with sanitation (water treatment and composting toilets) and education. If I'm able to go, my focus will be on teaching sustainable farming. I'm thinking, raised bed, lasagna or deep mulch method coupled with chicken tractor to increase fertility for gardening, help feed the chickens, and keep the chicks safe from predators.

So, this is where I'm looking for your help. This is as close as I could get to Guatemala on BYC! Can you please tell me what works and does not work for you in your gardening and poultry practices. What kinds of predators will most likely be encountered south of the border. (I realize that most predators don't carry visas and they don't pay attention to the border patrol, so I'm assuming that you have a bit of similarity to what will be encountered in Guatemala... (or at least more so than me here in Maine!) Have you found that breeds with large combs do better in the heat than small combed chickens? Would a tractor on the ground even work, or would the chicks be eaten alive by fire ants and such?

Greetings to you from the land of never ending snow.  I've seen 2 - 3 days where it's gotten briefly above freezing (for a couple of hours, mid day) since December!  Currently, about 4' of snow covering my garden.  Any how, enough about me!  I wanna hear about you.  I MAY be taking a trip to Guatemala in July.  It will be a mission trip, and I'm hoping to be able to take the components for an incubator, along with a bunch of hatching eggs, and veggie seeds.  I will be part of a missions team going to help a local pastor as he works with the children in 3 villages.  He does:  feeding programs, health clinics, teaching and assisting with sanitation (water treatment and composting toilets) and education.  If I'm able to go, my focus will be on teaching sustainable farming.  I'm thinking, raised bed, lasagna or deep mulch method coupled with chicken tractor to increase fertility for gardening, help feed the chickens, and keep the chicks safe from predators.  

So, this is where I'm looking for your help.  This is as close as I could get to Guatemala on BYC!  Can you please tell me what works and does not work for you in your gardening and poultry practices.  What kinds of predators will most likely be encountered south of the border.  (I realize that most predators don't carry visas and they don't pay attention to the border patrol, so I'm assuming that you have a bit of similarity to what will be encountered in Guatemala... (or at least more so than me here in Maine!)  Have you found that breeds with large combs do better in the heat than small combed chickens?  Would a tractor on the ground even work, or would the chicks be eaten alive by fire ants and such?
Guatemala is going to be very, very different than TX! That is more rain forest type and most of TX is not that at all. I also believe you will not be able to take seeds and especially hatching egg there. Customs are there for a reason and you could be bringing in a bunch of nasty stuff to that country. I think you will have much better luck getting all that in country. I would look into the climate there and then do research. Predators are going to vastly different there than TX as well.

Last edited:
Guatemala is going to be very, very different than TX! That is more rain forest type and most of TX is not at all. I also believe you will not be able to take seeds and especially hatching egg there. Customs are there for a reason and you could be brining in a bunch of nasty stuff to that country. I think we will have much better luck getting all that in country. I would look into the climate there and then do research.

Puerto Rico has a rain forest...maybe there is more information for you on a PR thread? Customs varies from country to country, you'll likely need to find someone with import expertise in Guatemala. I concur that it might be easier to source supplies once you are there. Best of luck in your endeavor!

Puerto Rico has a rain forest...maybe there is more information for you on a PR thread? Customs varies from country to country, you'll likely need to find someone with import expertise in Guatemala. I concur that it might be easier to source supplies once you are there. Best of luck in your endeavor!

The USDA has website about importing and exporting animals etc. Google customs information for exportation out of the US and it should come up. There will also be people that you can speak with. There are tons of forms to fill out and sometimes costly payments to be made. Honestly it's a lot of work. I'm speaking from personal experience
There is already an established sustainable farming group there. I would look them up as well.
In this case the internet is going to be your friend.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll look at the resources you've listed. And you're right, Why re-invent the wheel, if they already have a functional wheel in that country. I'll definitely be looking around to see what they have for resources in that country. I'm sure the contact person there will be able to give guidance.

Back
Top Bottom