Texas

Bryan, TX in the house! Native texan but new to chickens. Have 1 roo (bought as a pullett). 5 chicks almost ready to lay eggs. Cant wait! 4 cows, 3 calves, 1 horse, 1cat plus some ferrel ones, one chihuahua. Those who have bigger dogs. Which ones are chicken friendly?

welcome-byc.gif
from Cut-N-Shoot!!

As far as dogs go, I am in agreement with everyone else. You can never 100% trust any dog with small livestock, or any livestock for that matter. Dogs are naturally hunters, like their cousins, wolves, coyotes, etc. The difference with dogs is this, over the years the hunting instinct has mostly been bred out of most of them. What it takes is training, I realize this takes time, but it is worth it, if done right. As I am writing this, I am going thru this very thing with a pit mix. It has not been easy, I can't seem to get her to stop chasing my birds. She is still a pup, and I don't think she will hurt them intentionally, but I can't take that chance, so I work with her everyday. One thing I do is walk her on a leash in amongst the birds to show her they belong. If she starts to do anything that threatens a chase, I reprimand her right away, the way an alpha-male dog would. I grab her by the throat and take her down until she completely submits. I haven't had to do this lately, so it must be working. Needless to say, I would not let her out with the birds while I or my wife aren't keeping an eye on her and the birds. Hope this helps.

Love your set up. What a bunch of beautiful chickens.

Thank you! We are planning on building a custom coop but just haven't got all the materials yet.
Bryan, TX in the house! Native texan but new to chickens. Have 1 roo (bought as a pullett). 5 chicks almost ready to lay eggs. Cant wait! 4 cows, 3 calves, 1 horse, 1cat plus some ferrel ones, one chihuahua. Those who have bigger dogs. Which ones are chicken friendly?

I've found that dogs can be trained not to bother your chickens but the best ones are the ones that were livestock guardian bred. Avoid the terrier breeds because a lot of them have such strong hunting instincts. If the dog is bred for hunting it's probably not the best for just having around the birds because they run like fools at the most random things which can spark a chase. Most lap type dogs are just yappy or jerks to the chickens but not really vicious. So far we have done fairly well with training our dogs. One is a greyhound mix and the chickens make her want to play chase badly. She trembles it's so hard for her. My pomeranian/dachsund (I know I screwed up the spelling but I am tired) sleeps with the chickens. He's an oddball and thinks he is one of the flock. He doesn't know he is a dog so I don't think he really counts.
I think it would be best to get a dog that picks up on training quickly over relying on any breed to stay true to its reputation. I'm still working on my GSD mix. She's finally picked up on the idea that she is not to be within a foot of any of my birds. Now she just eats their poop which has proven a much harder habit to break than picking up chicks and running around with them.

Are you planning on doing a side-by-side comparison of natural insemination vs artificial by any chance? I'd be curious to know how wide the gap is in fertility. I have read that some lines can reproduce naturally but I don't know how accurate that is.
I've seen a lot of dogs that like to eat chicken poop. I can't imagine that it tastes good! But the ones that eat seem almost addicted to it.

Welcome! And for a dog Defenetly pyriness (i dont know how to spell it.) Dont make the mistake I did trying to train them. Other dogs still have that killing istint for fun.!

I am looking for a REAL Ameraucana pullet in Texas, preferably in the Houston area or up to a couple of hours away. I really love the blues, lavenders and splashes but am open to other colors as well and love project birds as long as they will lay a blue egg. I tried to find one last year and bought a frizzled EE who ended up laying a brown egg. I have a very gentle breed mixed flock of four and am only looking for one bird. I can't believe how hard it has been to find one! If anyone has a single pullet or knows where I can get one, please pm me. I am willing to pay generously for the right bird.

I am looking for a REAL Ameraucana pullet in Texas, preferably in the Houston area or up to a couple of hours away. I really love the blues, lavenders and splashes but am open to other colors as well and love project birds as long as they will lay a blue egg. I tried to find one last year and bought a frizzled EE who ended up laying a brown egg. I have a very gentle breed mixed flock of four and am only looking for one bird. I can't believe how hard it has been to find one! If anyone has a single pullet or knows where I can get one, please pm me. I am willing to pay generously for the right bird.

Going through organizations like the APA and breed clubs is usually the best way to find pure-blooded stock.

like bnjrob said.! Just google ameraucana breeder club and go to breeders directory by state. In texas theres several breeders.

Are you looking specifically for the breed or just a blue egg layer?

Are you looking specifically for the breed or just a blue egg layer?

Breed specific. I feel an Ameraucana is probably the best choice for me. I like the way they look (adore the muffs) and their temperament sounds right for me and my flock. I love olive eggs and chocolate eggs too but a pure Ameraucana will guarantee me a colored egg and a pretty bird.

like bnjrob said.! Just google ameraucana breeder club and go to breeders directory by state. In texas theres several breeders.
Mr King and bnjrob, thanks for the advice! I just sent out a couple of email to breeders in Texas but am still hoping someone will pop up a little closer to Houston. Most seem to be in DFW area.

Back
Top Bottom