Texas

Good luck to you, Miss Red! You've got a good attitude on your side. Keep us posted on your progress.
smile.png

Hi everybody :D

Ive been busy for a week so its been crazy getting ready for the chicks to arrive and for the upswing in my gardening. After being told by people here at BYC that MMH would make substitutions on my order OR delay it I thought that it was best that I call and make sure on that. I'm glad that I decided to call because it looks like it may have delayed the order. So I also requested that any replacement chicks MUST be pullets. Also... (hubby doesn't know it yet) but I added 8 more chicks. Phoenix chicks! (6f/2m). I'm planning on selling the chicks from one pair of them and selling the other set of 4 (if all make it) to help recoup costs. I'm also planning on selling a good chunk of the other chickens as well in order to help raise some money to buy a incubator and replacement hens for down the road when these stop laying. ;) SOOOO anyone near Dallas... Before terribly long I will be selling chicks. I ordered 26 different breeds but I have no idea if I will get them or not. But if I waited around with delayed shipments I might never get them soo... *shrugs* NO CLUE! but at any rate they will be cool and I am quite sure that I will be posting lots of "guess what I am" pictures.

Soooo anyone in the market for chickens? I'm thinking of placing them right around the time that they start laying (if I get unwanted roos they may go sooner!). For price I will ask what fair prices are for hatchery chicks shipped here + raising costs. I think thats fair.

Ok... here is the list that I ordered... keep in mind... they may make substitutions. The lady on the phone assured me that I wouldn't get getting say... white leghorns for say... Phoenix. LOL LETS HOPE NOT!

Ok... the list.

GOLDEN CAMPINES hen
GOLDEN WYANDOTTE hen
EGYPTIAN FAYOUMIS hen
LAKENVELDERS hen
CREVECOEURS hen
SILVER POLISH hen
GOLDEN POLISH hen
W. C. BLACK POLISH hen
ANCONA hen
ARAUCANA hen
SPECKLED SUSSEX hen
RHODE ISLAND RED hen
SILVER SEBRIGHT BANTAM St. Run
RED PYLE GAMES
BARRED ROCK hen
GOLDEN SEBRIGHT BANTAM St. Run
BUFF ROCK hen
B T BUFF JAPANESE BANT St. Run
DELAWARE hen
BLACK JAPANESE BANTAMS St. Run
WHITE JAPANESE BANTAMS St. Run
WHITE ROCK hen
SILVER LACED WYANDOTTE hen
SUMATRAS St. Run,
Golden Penciled Hamburg hen
6 pheonix hens
2 pheonix roos
Free Rare Exotic Chick

yippiechickie.gif
Sorry it has been so long since my last post! I hope everyone is doing well. I think the redesign threw me off. I kept looking for notices in my email that something new had been posted and finally I just came around and saw all the new stuff going on! I do like the new editor much better!
Lloyd is building a foundation for the coop and run. Also; the run will be twice as long. The girls will need it. I didn't know that Orpingtons got so big!

As you can see I had to separate one of my girls. She got injured somehow and the others were just pecking at it. Anyone know how long I should keep her separated?

That looks like it going to be nice once done. as far as your injured hen when i had one i needed to separate, i kept her separated till the injury was healed but i had her in a cage in the run so everyone could see everyone and i think that helped limit picking on her when she was reintroduced. she was separated from the flock for about 3 weeks.

35 southeast of Dallas here. Kaufman county. Moved to Texas 2010 and loving it. People are great.

Welcome Barbill1 to the Great state of Texas and to BYC!!! Sorry you had to endure the hard summer of 2011. I was born in Texas and have lived all but 3 years here. This past summer was truly the hardest one we've lived through in the past 50 years. Most Texans are some of the nicest, most loyal and friendly people in the US. Hope this coming season will be kinder to all of us.
PS Don't know where you came from....in TX during the summer heat.....wear cotton, drink lots of water/ iced tea, stay in the shade and don't move too fast!!!
While in Vermont, during the winter, I learned to wear wool, drink hot tea/coffee, rush out when the sun was shinning

Glad to have new Texans!!....just don't move too fast in the hottest part of the day,

Hey Ive got a question for all my fellow Texans ;) Ok... how do you best deal with the heat for chickens? I'm worried about the heat already! I'm from a cold climate so Umm... I think I'm gonna die ;)

Hey Ive got a question for all my fellow Texans ;) Ok... how do you best deal with the heat for chickens? I'm worried about the heat already! I'm from a cold climate so Umm... I think I'm gonna die ;)

I just make sure they have tons of water and shade. I also put out a big plastic bottom of a potted plant that is big enough for several chickens to stand in and I fill it with cool water. It took mine a little while to get used to having water that's for more than drinking but after a while they would be vying for a place in it

Chicken newbie from Keller, Texas (just north of Fort Worth). Well, we had chickens when we were kids so its not a totally new concept.

We now have a backyard tractor coop, 4 hens and 2 pullets.

Back
Top Bottom