Texas

What is a Brite Tap??? Picts??? Or link to where to buy it???
big_smile.png

Thanks!
Tina
http://www.chickenwaterer.com/BriteTap-Chicken-Poultry-Waterer-p/bt100.htm

Not a problem. For a lot of Chickens in one area I use the Chicken Water Fountain. I have two. One gravity fed on a 55 gallon rain barrel., and the other set up on a hose. I use the britetap for the coop that was built for me by the gentlemen from Cut and Shoot. He makes solid coops. I haven't seen him post in awhile though.

I'm new to BYC and surfing the forums for help with two roosters. We purchased four bantams from a local farm, one bantam passed the second day we had him, two of the bantams have turned out to be roosters, so we only have one hen. The Fleuer De Uccle Rooster is loud, we bought a No Crow Collar for him, which helps lower the volume by maybe 30%. The other rooster just started crowing and hasn't quite found his lungs yet. We have tried reaching the owner of the farm that we bought these from as he said he would help us find homes for them if they turned out to be roosters. Well, he doesn't seem to text back or call back or email back. At this point we have placed an ad on craigslist with the chicken coop, the two roosters and the one hen for $200. We do not want them to go to anyone that does not have farming intentions for them. As backwards as it sounds, I've also tried to find someone to process them but have been striking out there as well. No one processes chickens near the DFW area.

Any suggestions, any advice, I'm all ears. My post probably sounds whiney, but we live in the burbs and want to do to the right thing by all.

Thanks,
TXChickenbutt

I'm new to BYC and surfing the forums for help with two roosters. We purchased four bantams from a local farm, one bantam passed the second day we had him, two of the bantams have turned out to be roosters, so we only have one hen. The Fleuer De Uccle Rooster is loud, we bought a No Crow Collar for him, which helps lower the volume by maybe 30%. The other rooster just started crowing and hasn't quite found his lungs yet. We have tried reaching the owner of the farm that we bought these from as he said he would help us find homes for them if they turned out to be roosters. Well, he doesn't seem to text back or call back or email back. At this point we have placed an ad on craigslist with the chicken coop, the two roosters and the one hen for $200. We do not want them to go to anyone that does not have farming intentions for them. As backwards as it sounds, I've also tried to find someone to process them but have been striking out there as well. No one processes chickens near the DFW area.

Any suggestions, any advice, I'm all ears. My post probably sounds whiney, but we live in the burbs and want to do to the right thing by all.

Thanks,
TXChickenbutt
Getting rid of roosters is hard. Plenty to go but very few wanted. I have read a few threads of people with multiple roosters but even they seem to want to get rid of some. As for processing...I have never found anyone around here either that will process birds (Coleman-Abilene-Brownwood-San Angelo area). Basically it is a cost thing. Having one bird commercially processed results in a chicken for dinner that cost 25-30 dollars. Pretty expensive chicken dinner. Funny though, they will not process farm raised turkeys but they will process wild turkeys druing hunting season. Go Figure.

Thanks,
TXChickenbutt

If you are willing to learn to do your own processing there are people around that can teach you. I can't remember off hand the user name of the person in the DFW area that had offered to help when I needed to process for the first time, the distance just did not make it feasible. You could try asking on the meat bird forum. There are a few processing places in TX, but they have a minimum number of birds that makes it unfeasible for the homesteader or backyard flock keeper. There is a place in Cedar Springs (SE of Austin) that has facilities you can use after you have taken their processing class. So there might be a place similar in that area.

It is a bunch of legal issues and regulations to process poultry. There are some exceptions to the rules, but not many. The short of it is that in order to sell processed poultry you have to have a USDA certified processing center. For most livestock processing centers they do not have the demand to offer processing for poultry since it is a separate certification, from my understanding.

Thanks,
TXChickenbutt
Unlikely you're going to get someone to pay that much, even though they'd be getting a house. Too many roosters to go around when city folks discover they have a rooster instead of a hen. Offering the roosters for free is more likely to get you somewhere, although being bantams, there isn't much meat on them so some folks may not want to bother with them even for butchering and eating even if they were free. Could always butcher them yourself.

Getting rid of roosters is hard. Plenty to go but very few wanted. I have read a few threads of people with multiple roosters but even they seem to want to get rid of some. As for processing...I have never found anyone around here either that will process birds (Coleman-Abilene-Brownwood-San Angelo area). Basically it is a cost thing. Having one bird commercially processed results in a chicken for dinner that cost 25-30 dollars. Pretty expensive chicken dinner. Funny though, they will not process farm raised turkeys but they will process wild turkeys druing hunting season. Go Figure.

Part of it is the regulations regarding processing of poultry. The ag & health depts. make it difficult for folks to be able to set up a processing station that butchers other people's domestic poultry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom