Texas

Is anyone else having problems with bees?? They are all over my duck feeders.

Yes. The problem is that it is too warm for winter but there is not much in the way of a nectar flow for them to eat from. They are attracted to the sweeteners in the feed. Normally in winter they stay clustered inside their hive to stay warm but it's too hot for them to do that with the warm temps we've had this winter. Bee keepers are usually good about feeding their hives during such times but the wild bees don't have that luxury. I've actually considered making a bee feeder and putting it out to see if I can get the bees away from the coops.

Yes. The problem is that it is too warm for winter but there is not much in the way of a nectar flow for them to eat from. They are attracted to the sweeteners in the feed. Normally in winter they stay clustered inside their hive to stay warm but it's too hot for them to do that with the warm temps we've had this winter. Bee keepers are usually good about feeding their hives during such times but the wild bees don't have that luxury. I've actually considered making a bee feeder and putting it out to see if I can get the bees away from the coops.
I have bees as well. I've provided a plastic kids pool for water and a handful of sugar and corn chops for them to snack on. I sure don't want them to die off and if the "feeding station" is far enough away from the chickens, they'll be there, instead of bothering my babies :D There's probably a better "bee diet" but I'm usually in a hurry, and the bees don't come around every day, so this quick fix works best for me.

I have bees as well. I've provided a plastic kids pool for water and a handful of sugar and corn chops for them to snack on. I sure don't want them to die off and if the "feeding station" is far enough away from the chickens, they'll be there, instead of bothering my babies :D There's probably a better "bee diet" but I'm usually in a hurry, and the bees don't come around every day, so this quick fix works best for me.

They were driving me crazy. It's cooled off so they are not around today. I'm afraid if I put a bee feeder out, it will attract more, lol. What will happen if a duck or chicken eats a bee? Are bees part of their diet??

They were driving me crazy. It's cooled off so they are not around today. I'm afraid if I put a bee feeder out, it will attract more, lol. What will happen if a duck or chicken eats a bee? Are bees part of their diet??
The bee feeder might attract more bees overall, but if you put it away from the coops, then it will do more to draw the bees away from the poultry. If they haven't shown aggressive behavior, then inviting more bees with a feeder shouldn't be much of a problem if the feeders is far enough away from everything. Shouldn't be a problem if the poultry accidently or on purpose eat a bee unless it gets stung, and then might swell at the stinger site. Bees die after they sting so that would be the end of the bee anyway. There are more folks keeping bees and poultry in closer proximity without problems. I'd have hives already if I could figure out where to put them where the donkeys wouldn't mess with them and rip them apart to try to get honey.

I watched my chickens with the bees. Everyone ignored everyone in my case. The chickens didn't show an interest in watching or eating them. I don't have ducks. The bees around here are very docile. They only pay attention to me when I'm transporting their sugar and corn, though there are different types of bees, and you could have a different experience than mine.

I live near Allen. I'm new to the site but do have some experience in beekeeping at the hobbyist. I've had several colonies when I lived in PA and then again here in TX when my kids were young. Between the 2 states it is much easier to overwinter colonies in PA than in TX. When the bees cluster during winter the cluster expands and contracts with the ambient temperature. The colder it is the tighter the cluster. Bees on the cluster perimeter work inward displacing those in the center to the cooler outside. The queen is at the center of the cluster laying eggs and the colony actually raises brood But at a much smaller scale than during the summer. In TX the cluster quickly responds to these warm days by dispersing through the hive, make foraging flights looking for nectar sources and water and excreting waste matter stored while clustered. Before consuming honey bees must first dilute it with water. The first priority during winter flights is cleansing and finding a source of water. Livestock ignore the bees and likewise the bees ignore the livestock. The human factor is the problem.

Imo the only liability we have with bees in TX is that it is impossible to know if the bees are docile European variety or the more aggressive Africanized bees. That's what we need to be concerned with and the solution is to be educated, aware of our surroundings, our activities and the bees around us. The solution is a compromise to learn to live with them.

frow.gif
Glad to see you found us! So are you a 'beeper' (bee keeper) now? I have been reading up on keeping bees and haven't made the plunge yet.

I live near Allen. I'm new to the site but do have some experience in beekeeping at the hobbyist. I've had several colonies when I lived in PA and then again here in TX when my kids were young. Between the 2 states it is much easier to overwinter colonies in PA than in TX. When the bees cluster during winter the cluster expands and contracts with the ambient temperature. The colder it is the tighter the cluster. Bees on the cluster perimeter work inward displacing those in the center to the cooler outside. The queen is at the center of the cluster laying eggs and the colony actually raises brood But at a much smaller scale than during the summer. In TX the cluster quickly responds to these warm days by dispersing through the hive, make foraging flights looking for nectar sources and water and excreting waste matter stored while clustered. Before consuming honey bees must first dilute it with water. The first priority during winter flights is cleansing and finding a source of water. Livestock ignore the bees and likewise the bees ignore the livestock. The human factor is the problem.

Imo the only liability we have with bees in TX is that it is impossible to know if the bees are docile European variety or the more aggressive Africanized bees. That's what we need to be concerned with and the solution is to be educated, aware of our surroundings, our activities and the bees around us. The solution is a compromise to learn to live with them.
welcome-byc.gif
Thank you so much for the information. This is all really neat.

Impossible to know the variety
barnie.gif
That was going to be my first question for you
smile.png
In the past we've had some bees show some aggression. We had a bee keeper come and take them. Or so we thought. He sealed up the tree but they seem to be back. Do honey bees colonize inside trees?

Yes, they will colonize inside any space they think is safe. Honey bees will colonize inside buildings, under buildings, basically anywhere they feel safe and protected from the elements and threats. Feral bees routinely colonize inside hollow trees in the wild. Many times if you seal up the main opening and aren't thorough there will be gaps or alternative ways they can get in and out. Texas is warm enough to have Africanized Honey Bees (AHBs). Unless you're very skilled, it's hard to tell them apart by appearance. AHBs will attempt to "take over" a European honey bee colony if they find one. AHB's can be worked just like any other honey bee colony, you just have to use more smoke and better PPE. You also have to understand and warn others to stay away and to keep their animals away while you're working them. I kept bees in Colorado and recently moved down here to TX. I haven't set up my hives yet but have every intention of doing so. I understand the AHBs are actually better honey producers than the European bees.

welcome-byc.gif
Thank you so much for the information. This is all really neat.

Impossible to know the variety
barnie.gif
That was going to be my first question for you
smile.png
In the past we've had some bees show some aggression. We had a bee keeper come and take them. Or so we thought. He sealed up the tree but they seem to be back. Do honey bees colonize inside trees?

If the bees had colonized inside the tree as in a hollow trunk, then after the bees were removed the tree should also been removed since the heartwood of the trunk is rotten and the tree is a liability during a storm. If in a major branch then if there is potential for property damage if it breaks it also should have been removed back to sound wood. Bees have a pretty good sense of smell and while nectar is generally their first preference, during the absence of of any nectar flows like winter, bees will rob honey. If they just showed up during the winter it's a pretty good bet they are robbers. Also if one swarm found that tree a suitable environment for colonization and there is access combined with the presence of honey and wax, chances are it will be recolonized by another swarm will likely recolonize it next year.

frow.gif
Glad to see you found us! So are you a 'beeper' (bee keeper) now? I have been reading up on keeping bees and haven't made the plunge yet.
When I was a high school Ag student I maintained about a dozen hives to fulfill y AG project requirement. Fast forward about 2 decades +/- with 3 of my own kids in 4H is got back into it for several years. Truth be told, I find honey to be extremely distasteful. I think it is disgusting. The only honey I ever really liked and couldn't get enough of was when we were uncapping frames for extraction. I could never get enough of that cappings honey. Absolutely delightful. Eat the wax and the honey. It was the only honey that I could taste the predominant nectar flor when the bees were collecting

Back
Top Bottom