Texas

Hello!!!

I'm new to the Cedar Creek just outside of Austin... Well I'm new to Texas to be exact... I come from all over the place. I grew up on Long Island NY until I was 20 and moved with my family to Utah for 10 years and just this past September I moved in with my long distance boyfriend here in Cedar Creek =)... We are expecting our first little one in July of this year!!!! This has been one exciting experience for the both of us!! I raised chickens both in NY and in Utah and I loved it!!! I even got to raise ducks and 3 turkeys!! Any who... We live on 4 acres of land with a creek fed pond that I dream of turning into a small homestead... I want to start with a garden and some chickens and possibly in the future add some ducks... They are just so cute when they are little =D... I don't know very many people out here and haven't really had a chance to get to know any one really since I started working as soon as I moved here luckily but that leaves me with little time to socialize and I'm not one to hang out at a bar or club haha... I also enjoy crafting mainly yarn work such as crochet and knitting so if anyone in my area is looking to increase their circle of friends I'd love to get to meet new people =)... I don't quite have my chicken home ready but I loved this site when I was doing back yard chickens in Utah to I thought I'd come back now that I"m in Texas!! Hope everyone is having a fantastic day!!!!

Welcome to Texas!
Congrats on your July baby!
So exciting!
What breed of chickens are you planning to get?

Talking about chickens, and spring, and hatching -- we are always talking about those things arent we? - Is there anyone who has excess capacity to incubate a couple of dozen eggs?

My two incubators are little (7 eggs) and full -- and I am working on a project where only 1/8 of the hatchlings will be keepers. If someone around me (driving distance to Woodivlle, TX) has the ability to hatch some eggs - I would like to work out a 'deal' with you regarding a high volume hatch. Please PM me if you do. Thanks.

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

This could be the finally reason for me to break down and buy the incubator I want.....hmm....

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

Very exciting time for me here =)... I really want to start with 6 chickens total... I know that number will increase lol... But I really want to get a few Amerucanas, Rhode Island Reds, maybe 1 Wyandotte (For broodiness) I haven't had a chicken actually hatch eggs for me so that might be fun... Maybe a leghorn (my first chickens where leghorns lol)... I have a few other ones I'd like to get maybe down the line like the turkin chicken lol... I just find them so amusing!!! And maybe a few silkies just cuz they look so cute haha!!! But starting off I really want the egg laying ones b/c I love eggs... And that's pretty much all that sounds good any time I get hungry and nothing else sounds good... I've probably had scrambled eggs for dinner more than I've had them for breakfast haha!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

Very exciting time for me here =)... I really want to start with 6 chickens total... I know that number will increase lol... But I really want to get a few Amerucanas, Rhode Island Reds, maybe 1 Wyandotte (For broodiness) I haven't had a chicken actually hatch eggs for me so that might be fun... Maybe a leghorn (my first chickens where leghorns lol)... I have a few other ones I'd like to get maybe down the line like the turkin chicken lol... I just find them so amusing!!! And maybe a few silkies just cuz they look so cute haha!!! But starting off I really want the egg laying ones b/c I love eggs... And that's pretty much all that sounds good any time I get hungry and nothing else sounds good... I've probably had scrambled eggs for dinner more than I've had them for breakfast haha!!!

Great! Im cooking me two eggs from m girls right now! yum.

Have you ever thought about fermenting their feed?

Egg color question! We have 2 leghorns, 1 barred rock, 2 sex-links, 1 RIR, 2 turkens, 7 Easter Eggers and 1 maran . Some are a year, the others are 6 months.

Is the darker smaller egg in the front a Maran egg or a sex-link pullet egg? One picture it's next to I believe a Turken egg and then I switched it with a sex-link egg. If it is, I was expecting it to be much darker. We're at 13 eggs so far today, 2 white/5 green/6 brown so with only 3 not laying yet, it could still be the maran holding out on me.

Egg color question! We have 2 leghorns, 1 barred rock, 2 sex-links, 1 RIR, 2 turkens, 7 Easter Eggers and 1 maran . Some are a year, the others are 6 months.

Is the darker smaller egg in the front a Maran egg or a sex-link pullet egg? One picture it's next to I believe a Turken egg and then I switched it with a sex-link egg. If it is, I was expecting it to be much darker. We're at 13 eggs so far today, 2 white/5 green/6 brown so with only 3 not laying yet, it could still be the maran holding out on me.

I do not have a marans but I do have welsummers and I was expecting darker eggs that what you are showing.
My girls just started laying and I honestly can say they barely darker than you egg.

top row the fourth egg
2nd row the 2nd egg
3rd row the 2nd egg
are my welsummers

From where did you get it? That's about what I'd expect from a hatchery Marans.

Back
Top Bottom