Texas

Welcome to all the newcomers!

I am still trying to get use to the new format. It looks like our Texas thread is slowly dying.

We got 1/8" rain today. So much for the tropical storm warnings.

I have a broody hen (Australorp). She is sitting on 8 eggs: 5 EEs and 3 Sussexs. I really wanted some Australorps, but the 2nd night of sitting on the nest, a rat visited. It, of course, ate the Australorp eggs. :he She is now safe in her broody cage with the door closed at night.
Dang you are way down there. They say rain today for us, but we will see. My Delaware was nest sitting this morning when I went out to open the coop.

I am not wanting her to sit. :(
She doesn't often go broody and she is not too hard to break so my weekend will be a bit more tense than I had hoped. :( Silly hen

I knew it would come in handy some day when I saw one of those wire dog crates FREE on the curbside one morning. City folks throw away the strangest things! Snagged it about two years ago, folded it flat and stored it away in the garage. I know it'll be nice to have by next summer.

IMG_0853.JPG
It's hot out today! Thought I'd share a pic of my girls beating the heat with a frozen treat.

Last edited:
What do you have in their (besides ice)? I give my flock a frozen water bottle in their water and frozen corn on the cob.
Banana, applesauce, carrots, and spinach. They really seemed to like it.

Their water is provided through a suspended U-shaped tank made from PVC, with verticle nipples for dispensing. While this does maximize the room in their run, keep the water clean, and keep it cooler than it would be in a traditional waterer, I find that it still gets a little warm. I may experiment with lowering a frozen water bottle into the tank each day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom