Texas

:lau I had to laugh at the cat training. I've trained several of my cats, but most folks either think I'm crazy or pulling their tail (the people's, not the cats). Never trained mine to speak words, just to meow on command. Usually they were already prone to do it, I just gave them a good reason to when I asked nicely. Cats and dogs alike love my homemade liver treats. Best training aid I've ever had, besides my brain.

:lau I had to laugh at the cat training. I've trained several of my cats, but most folks either think I'm crazy or pulling their tail (the people's, not the cats). Never trained mine to speak words, just to meow on command. Usually they were already prone to do it, I just gave them a good reason to when I asked nicely. Cats and dogs alike love my homemade liver treats. Best training aid I've ever had, besides my brain.

I just tend to get along with animals, I guess. I was in First Grade at my Grandfather's ranch and tamed his most wild barn cat, that he didn't even want to get near. Our cat was a half dead road rescue. We brought him back to life, and he has been here ever since. He has the best of both worlds, inside when he wants to be, killing voles and squirrels when he can. He was pretty young when we found him. But, he is as smart as whip for a cat, and understands based on the words he emulates he gets his needs met. For some reason he associates my walker as a part of my body, especially when I am sitting in it. He'll come up and ask for his ears to scratched, etc, and rub his ownership all over it.

Thanks, trying to reduce to a more manageable population for enjoyment and egg/meat consumption. I am no Spring Chicken anymore. I enjoy the birds, I just get frustrated that I can't do anything with them like I used to. Going to have a young inquisitive GSD pup by the end of the month who will also take a great deal of time to train and get used to my slowed downed lifestyle. I trained a cat, I can train a dog. I taught my wife's Cat to say, 'Hello,' 'Food' and 'Out'. So, it is clear what he wants. I gotten him polite again by saying 'Hello,' though in his mind that means he is greeting you because he wants inside and it is usually food related, until he wants 'Out' for napping, or hunting.
yup, I know what it is like to get older and not be able to do as much as I use to, although my family don't seem to realize it. I wish I lived closer I would certainly buy some of your chickens, but I am near Austin. Of course you can come visit me and train some of my cats and bring some chickens with you, Just a thought. some of my cats are getting old and seemed to have forgotten how to use the litter box. I do have 23 cats and 6 dogs, the dogs can use some training also. Nice talking to you and good luck on your sales.--Jeanne

Located in Texas panhandle west of Amarillo. Looking to do a duck order. I want two pets but the minimum order is six. I can deliver within 100 miles. If anyone wants to split an order. You pay when I drop them off

yup, I know what it is like to get older and not be able to do as much as I use to, although my family don't seem to realize it. I wish I lived closer I would certainly buy some of your chickens, but I am near Austin. Of course you can come visit me and train some of my cats and bring some chickens with you, Just a thought. some of my cats are getting old and seemed to have forgotten how to use the litter box. I do have 23 cats and 6 dogs, the dogs can use some training also. Nice talking to you and good luck on your sales.--Jeanne

Thanks, and I am sorry to hear about 23 cats that don't understand a litter box. I can only imagine what a situation you might be in with ammonia toxicity.

I have one cat that will kiss me when asked and some times when not asked, in the middle of the night when he want to be pet. I have two cats that says OUT when they stand in front of the door. Like I said before I have 23 cats, I also have many coyotes so all the cats have to come in every night. so of course they all know their names and between 5 and 6 at night when I start calling them they come in. But if I miss their name they just stay out until I call them. They just have a mind of their own. At night they all have their own plate for dinner and they hardly ever steal from each other except my Josie Wells, he gets into everything. Because of him, in the mornings I feed some extra to the skinny cats and while I am putting it on plates I have to hide in the pantry, away from Josie Wells. The cats have 7 bowls of kibble out all the time around the house, so I know he is not starving, he is just sooo mischievous. Sorry I do tend to chat a lot.--Jeanne

so do you want to share your recipe for your liver treats?

so do you want to share your recipe for your liver treats?

Not much to share really. It's not much of a recipe, but here goes.

I simmer about 4-6 pounds of chicken (or beef or whatever) livers in enough broth (homemade, low or no salt, little garlic, onion, and thyme) to cover until done. You can also use (clotted) blood from any butchered animals you have access to instead of part or all of the liver. Strain out livers, remove to a metal bowl and mash warm livers up with a stout potato masher until the consistency of lumpy oatmeal. Keep all the broth and fat. You may add melted animal fat and/or olive oil later if needed. Melted butter works too. To the mashed livers add 2-3 beaten large eggs, then add brown rice flour and rolled oats (about equal portions or whatever you like), mixing well until the mixture gets too heavy to stir or starts looking a little dry. Add back the fat and broth a bit at a time, mixing and adding more until you have a lumpy slightly greasy feeling dough that holds its shape when you roll balls in your bare hands. If your dough is too sticky, you need more fat, it should feel rather like a pie dough between the lumps. Just remember this is a fatty liver treat, not an oatmeal treat, and not their everyday nutrition! Make the size appropriate for your pet, large or small. I make mine smaller than golf balls. You can also pat or roll it into flat patties to break up into chunks, or drop in blobs.
I bake mine on big heavy pizza pans or cookie sheets at 300-325 F, turning once in a while, until they feel almost dried through. Flip your patty shaped ones after the top is nicely dry. If they seem to be browning before being done, decrease the heat and consider a loose foil covering. These aren't meant to brown much, just to bake dry. This can take a long time, and will probably attract attention from your resident carnivores. They will naturally darken in color as they dry out. Please be careful when removing from oven, as any that hit the floor hot will be gobbled quickly and still HOT! Let cool completely before storing in the freezer in ziplocks. Mind the cats don't grab them before you put them away! Don't store them too long in a treat jar or bag at room temperature or they will mold.
These treats are like a strong biscuit or thick pie crust, with a crisp exterior but easily chewed tender interior. They have lots of fat and visible chunks of liver. They are fiber rich, gluten free and corn free, so great for many pets that have grain allergies. They don't crumble as badly as many other treats, are easily eaten by my semi-toothless 14 year old chihuahua, and aren't really bad smelling. I call the round balls "rolie polies" and my chiweenie pup Dolly loves to play with them before she eats them. The chunks are excellent training aids for every dog I know and over 90% of cats I know. My cats actually slobber and drool over them. I just break the big chunks up as needed, easy to manage in one hand.

Next time I make a batch I'll try to remember to take pictures and maybe even measure something! As you can tell, I make them in big batches. My HE objects to the smell of liver, so I try to do it when he's gone and make enough to avoid having to make more too often. Side bonus, the simmered chicken livers also make great pate', so a few usually make it to my own "chef's treat" plate.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom