Texas

There is a lot of incentive/pressure - from businesses/industries and the general population - for the government to oversee and regulate every little thing.

Yes....I believe you can sell eggs to individuals (not at a farmers market type situation) if you label them ungraded and keep them at a certain temp (basically refrigerated) without a license. Don't quote me on this though.
Selling eggs for food is regulated through the Texas Department of Health Department.

Here you can't even do that legally. Enforcement is very, very low though and the health department isn't going to check what individuals are selling via CL/FB any more than the Ag department will check hatching eggs and birds. It's not like they have police force level staffing. So the only time you need to look over your shoulder is at farmer's markets or bigger poultry swaps, really.

There is a lot of incentive/pressure - from businesses/industries and the general population - for the government to oversee and regulate every little thing.

Here you can't even do that legally. Enforcement is very, very low though and the health department isn't going to check what individuals are selling via CL/FB any more than the Ag department will check hatching eggs and birds. It's not like they have police force level staffing. So the only time you need to look over your shoulder is at farmer's markets or bigger poultry swaps, really.
From my understanding the selling of poultry, birds and eggs of any kind is going to start getting...I can't think of the right word...more patrolled? here in Texas soon.
I won't believe it til I see it though.

It will require a lot more staffing and of course that has to be budgeted, so I'd also expect permit and NPIP fees to go up if that happens. And what is the punishment? A fine? Jail time?
:idunno:confused: I do know that when I was at the class (PT tester) there were a LOT of people there taking the class so they could test their own birds so that they could continue to sell at their local flea markets.
I am guessing that the flea markets/farmers market type places are feeling the pressure from the state.

From my understanding the selling of poultry, birds and eggs of any kind is going to start getting...I can't think of the right word...more patrolled? here in Texas soon.
I won't believe it til I see it though.
Explains why my taquirias shelves were empty tonight I wanted tamales and they were all cleaned out!
-------edit-------------

I have never seen that before no tacos, fajitas or tamales in their warmers.

I put up fishing line all across the top of my chicken yard and now I am comfortable knowing the hawks will really have to work at getting one of my girls!
I wonder if this would work to keep the girls in as well? I have a large run of 4' farm fence but there is a large bradford pear tree in the run so i cannot cover it. I lose my girls when they hop the fence and free range. If one of my dogs see it he will bring me the hen to be helpful. Sometimes they survive his help, sometimes not. :(

I wonder if this would work to keep the girls in as well? I have a large run of 4' farm fence but there is a large bradford pear tree in the run so i cannot cover it. I lose my girls when they hop the fence and free range. If one of my dogs see it he will bring me the hen to be helpful. Sometimes they survive his help, sometimes not. :(
Sounds like fishing line might work. It's a cheap way to find out. If you walk in your chicken yard it would be a problem.

Sounds like fishing line might work. It's a cheap way to find out. If you walk in your chicken yard it would be a problem.
I wouldn't even have to do it across the whole run, I could put in T-posts 5' from the edge and tie the fishing line to that at certain intervals. I tried using chicken wire but they just used that as a landing pad to go over. I'm really trying to not have to buy 10' t-posts and make my fence taller~

I wouldn't even have to do it across the whole run, I could put in T-posts 5' from the edge and tie the fishing line to that at certain intervals. I tried using chicken wire but they just used that as a landing pad to go over. I'm really trying to not have to buy 10' t-posts and make my fence taller~
Sounds like you have thought it out. It wouldn't cost much to give it a try!

Back
Top Bottom