Texas

I was afraid to do it as well but I have never had a bad experience and I have ordered from several different places even though ideal is closest so I do use them most often. I have some ducks and chicks coming from them next week.

My bigger fear now would be from introducing some kind of illness from another flock. I only get new stock from hatcheries now.
I truly wanted to buy a few pullets around 3 months are so, so they would be about the same age as the ones my broody hatched. I'm just going to think on it for a while.

I truly wanted to buy a few pullets around 3 months are so, so they would be about the same age as the ones my broody hatched. I'm just going to think on it for a while.
Ok. I thought on it.
Mine were shipped three weeks ago and I didn’t have any issues. :confused:
That's great. Maybe I should just do it. I have about $500 in my Myers shopping basket now. Lol. I'll just tell my hubby after I pick them up at the post office.

Ok. I thought on it.

That's great. Maybe I should just do it. I have about $500 in my Myers shopping basket now. Lol. I'll just tell my hubby after I pick them up at the post office.
I can't speak for Meyer's...I'm not even sure where they are located or how long it will take for the chicks to arrive. (I will be looking them up in a second.)
I can tell you for fact thought that since you are located here, if you ordered chicks from Ideal they would hatch on a Wednesday afternoon and be at your post office early Thursday morning. Which I think is fabulous, to be able to receive chicks that young.
I don't think I would ever order from a hatchery out of state because I would be too worried about them taking too long to get to me.
(eta I didn't see Tes's post til after I posted)

Last edited:
I can't speak for Meyer's...I'm not even sure where they are located or how long it will take for the chicks to arrive. (I will be looking them up in a second.)
I can tell you for fact thought that since you are located here, if you ordered chicks from Ideal they would hatch on a Wednesday afternoon and be at your post office early Thursday morning. Which I think is fabulous, to be able to receive chicks that young.
I don't think I would ever order from a hatchery out of state because I would be too worried about them taking too long to get to me.
Agreed.. I thought about Meyer’s, honestly I was put off by Ideal’s outdated website and lack of certain breeds. But you really can’t argue with having them in your care less than 24 hours after they hatch.

Are you close to a D&l store? I got my birds from D & L Farm and Home - Denton and they had birds (in different pens) ranging in age from day olds (inside) to POL. They get theirs from ideal but this way you can pick them out yourself.

BTW I often buy Ideal specials, usually bantams, and grow them out to sell. I get to pick the ones I want to keep and the buyer doesn't deal with shipping or brooding and they know what sex they're getting. I put right in my ad the source of any birds I sell.

That is exactly what I’m doing right now with chicks from Greenfire. I’ve got Swedish Flower, 55 Flowery Hens & Black Copper Marans. I love rasing babies where as a lot of people do not.

Back
Top Bottom