Texas

Well our drought finally broke.For the last few days we have been the wettest spot in Texas. Now I own a 2 foot lawn and finally have my energy back after the beach thing to get out and do projects.

I am still building the coop out as well so that is on the list in addition to mowing the street facing side of my lawn. Hopefully, today I will roof it(doubtfull) and get after some small bits with a sawzall(more likely). Fortunately, I have a neighbor with goats, and they do a great job on the deed restricted 1/3 acre I cant fence already. It is a huge drainage ditch that keeps us from flooding out in hurricanes and good habitat for Texas wild critters(and goats). The first coop backs up against that fence line and knock-on-wood is where my first flock roostd at night with no predator losses to date. The silkies are doing pretty good to date, they are wanting to get out of the 8x10 coop and into a run in a bad way, and since that is the lower impact aspect of building out the coop is most likely the direction I am going this morning.
Nothing like a good early start to the day!
It's nice outside now, but the scorching heat will be here soon!

Nothing like a good early start to the day!
It's nice outside now, but the scorching heat will be here soon!
So true, I have been waiting for a woke before dawn and rain free day since the weekend. No way I'm willing to work after 11am lately. Fortunately, that cool front did drop us back under the triple digits, but barely.

Last edited:
yes, the 1in x4in welded wire fencing.
The way I do it is, roll the wire out on the ground the length of the side that I'm going to cover or attach the wire to (measure) and cut it with a little excess. I staple or using deck screws and fender washers, attach one end to the enclosure, usually to the post where the sheltered part ends. I staple the other end to a 2x4 or a 2x2. Fashion a Y yoke to the 2x4 out of bailing wire or small chain, then use a 'come a long' to stretch or put tension on the wire. Then staple or screw the wire to the base and top boards and posts.
They make a special tool (yoke) for stretching fence wire using a 2 x 4 but I found it doesn't work as good as configuring my own. HTH

Howdy :frowand Welcome to the Texas thread. Make yourself at home. Good luck with your new flock.
I knew a girl in college (A&M, Gig'em!) who was from Bedias so I know how to pronounce the name of your town. ;) Welcome to the flock! Rule #1: you can never have a coop or run large enough for all the chickens you'll have! Plan large!
I am planning big. A 12' X 16' coop and a 20' X 20' run.

Back
Top Bottom