Texas

DW made a cool snap today with the "Green Jays" seems they are on a cat food sabbatical and chasing down the BOSS from the scratch. First snap she has been referring to as Visit by an Angel she thinks the second one looks angelic as well.
IMG_5094.JPG IMG_5095.JPG

Ok, "Cull Bill" wasn't thriving in the bachelor pad with the other two dominant cockerels his smile is the major reason why he got moved there in the first place, and DW wants him back in the main pen. Bill was always a calm and watchful type who was never in the middle of any drama. He is usually the first to call an alarm to the flock when a raptor is near. It also turns out our "second cockerel" in the main pen is a pullet as she laid an egg today. So she is just a mean gal biting and attacking you when she knows you are cutting everyone's hair.

Here he is back in August at 4 months of age and pre-haircut. We reviewed the pictures we had posted earlier and for me it is his perfect walnut comb and those opaline blue ears that got me to agree to return him to the flock even though he is hard feathered. His Gold and Brown feathering pattern over white is also another reason why he shouldn't be a genetic dead end. So it is now 2 cockerels & 12 pullets at 7.5 months of age in the main pen.

At the end of the day Bill is settling in fine enough to take cat food from a container that is within arms reach. He was traumatized most of the day by the move and also coming to terms with the other cockerel. It was a 6 Silkie egg day and 1 Sumatra with 3 silkies offline being allowed to brood(10 eggs, 33% fertile from testing), and one jailbird breaking. One of my favorite Sumatra is experiencing a hard molt so I am sure she isn't in lay.

Last edited:
Wow what a lovely night we had lows dip to 69.6F according to the schools weatherstation 1/2 mile away. Forecasters are calling for 88+, but we will be getting that cool front too tomorrow so I'll be dragging in plants. I think the lowest temps are forcasted at 50F but I have plants that die at 45F in pots so not taking a chance on those. Oh well it will be an all windows and screen doors open day to heat the house and hopefully require a minimum of heating

Wow what a lovely night we had lows dip to 69.6F according to the schools weatherstation 1/2 mile away. Forecasters are calling for 88+, but we will be getting that cool front too tomorrow so I'll be dragging in plants. I think the lowest temps are forcasted at 50F but I have plants that die at 45F in pots so not taking a chance on those. Oh well it will be an all windows and screen doors open day to heat the house and hopefully require a minimum of heating
It's headed your way...cloudy and starting to rain here. Don't think it will freeze here but it gets a little colder here than in SA. Suppose to be in the upper to mid 30's.

This mornings weathercast is now calling for lows of 45 overnight for Wed. and Thursday, last night they had a much nicer story to tell. Pineapples will need brought in before nightfall plus quite a few others. I don't need to worry about plants until chicken o'clock tomorrow night. I'm happy I built that wind block on the north side of the coop for the broodies now.

This mornings weathercast is now calling for lows of 45 overnight for Wed. and Thursday, last night they had a much nicer story to tell. Pineapples will need brought in before nightfall plus quite a few others. I don't need to worry about plants until chicken o'clock tomorrow night. I'm happy I built that wind block on the north side of the coop for the broodies now.
It's not suppose to get cold till late tonight and Tuesday, here.

Back
Top Bottom