Texas

Mid 80's I saw a red "coyote" dead on hwy 21 outside of bryan. It was larger than the normal yote, game warden said it was a coyote/wolf mix and most yotes have wolf genes. Don't know if he knew fact or was just repeating hearsay.
There's actually a subspecies of wolf in America that's reddish and there have been some efforts to reintroduce it in places it was common before (I think mostly around the Appalachians, but don't quote me on that ^^). But it didn't take and they didn't push super hard either, because there was a large scientific uncertainty about whether it was actually a wolf subspecies or a cross with coyotes! Which, mind you, could lead to its own species down the line, but there are so many species that need conservation and money right now, that if that's not clearly a wolf, conservation efforts were better spent elsewhere!

Back in the late 60's early 70's I lived in Collin County, we had wolves back then when TPWD said, " no wolves in Texas". They were wrong then and most likely wrong now.

Texas does have Red wolves, mainly up in the Canadian River breaks, and on eastward towards North Texas, North of Dallas.
If you hear one, there's no mistaking it for a coyote or dog.

This creature was on the road in front of my property standing still, illuminated by a street light, and looking toward my chicken coop. We have a 6ft wrought iron fence with spikes. I'm guessing he was analyzing it trying to figure out a way in.

After watching him for a bit, DH and I started walking towards him. He didn't budge until we got about 15 yards away. A car spooked him off the road and he walked to the edge of the woods. I used my trusty flashlight to keep watch. This creature didn't behave like a stray dog. It was confident and unmoved, but smart enough to move for the car. Then it stayed at the edge of the woods watching us watch it for a while, then it eventually went into the woods on the unfenced portion of our property. My dog was going ballistic barking and sniffing it out, but we didn't open the gate to let her go for it. She's tough, but likely no match for what might've been a wolf.

If I see it again, I'll try to get a picture.

Aw, I'm sorry... and I get you, I have felt like that, I sometimes still do. Some days all one can do is just manage to step out of bed, and that's already a victory. But you don't have to try alone, sometimes we need someone to guide us and help us take a step back. I know I did. Hang in there!

Last edited:
Thank you I needed that. Sad to say, I really don't have "someone" to talk too, other than God-and he cant talk back, and my animals (they don't talk back either). The next week to 10 days will be rough then my world will get better. I basicly am alone. I know WHY I'm down, just can't seem to climb out of my funk .

Thank you I needed that. Sad to say, I really don't have "someone" to talk too, other than God-and he cant talk back, and my animals (they don't talk back either). The next week to 10 days will be rough then my world will get better. I basicly am alone. I know WHY I'm down, just can't seem to climb out of my funk .
I'm sorry you're having a bad time. ☹

Peace. We are here most of the time.

Enjoying watching your flock grow. I'm still laughing about adopting the wild chickens. I love it! And yes, they are hard to keep until they aren't.

Back
Top Bottom