Texas

What is frustrating you?
I bought my first batch of chicks in January. Had to rehome 2 and cull one cockerel out of 6 four were cockerels. One passed on me but I hadn’t had experience and how to help it. I went and got five more the beginning of April and I’m hoping they are all pullets I got them all from a local hatchery who sexed them but I’ve read it’s 80% accurate? It’s great seeing them grow but really sad to have to get rid of the boys after they’ve grown up.

I bought my first batch of chicks in January. Had to rehome 2 and cull one cockerel out of 6 four were cockerels. One passed on me but I hadn’t had experience and how to help it. I went and got five more the beginning of April and I’m hoping they are all pullets I got them all from a local hatchery who sexed them but I’ve read it’s 80% accurate? It’s great seeing them grow but really sad to have to get rid of the boys after they’ve grown up.
What hatchery are you using? I've always had 100% accuracy with Idealpoultry.com

Hi! Thanks to all for all the helping learning this forum and the warm welcome! I'm new to BYC, first time our family is raising their own chicks, have been raising chicks for others for a while though. We have never had more than the ~5% roosters in the past--this year we ended up with 2 out of 4. Also, we have never had major health issues, and this year another of the 4 has severe crossbeak, which looking back at the first photos of her was barely noticeable when we got her, but I didn't know what to look for.

Anyone have any recommendations from past success for rehoming roosters in specifically in Houston area? I have posted in local groups, craigslist, fliers at feed stores, asked around. Can I post them on this forum or better on the animal/rooster rehoming one? Are both ok, or need to pick one?

Anyone else have bad luck in this area this year with roosters/birth defects? I noticed @Reinn had a similar problem. Mine are from Privett Hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom