Texas

Quote: Kassaundra is fermenting whole oats only. I feed fermented food and it's just 18% grower with a bit of Calf Manna tossed in. It works best if you do a rotating thing where you take some out and add some regularly rather than just let it set. BeeKissed did quite a bit of research on this, and they showed where optimum fermenting didn't really take all that long. Just make sure the food is wet, like oatmeal after soaking or wetter, and let 'er sit. In Summer I have bad luck leaving it out in the heat. Gnats and flies get to it no matter what I do and it gets to smelling like something died in there a month ago. But in the house, if I keep taking out and putting back, it works perfectly.

Was hoping you would jump in
big_smile.png
Where have you been? I have a bag of calf manna, maybe I should throw in a little of that also. Yep, learned about the Fermenting feed from BeeKissed on the "Old Timer Thread", then on "Fermenting Feed Thread", now I am still reading "The Road Less Traveled" thread, on page 452 finally. Lots of GREAT advice!

We live in Wimberley, Texas. The beautiful Hill Country. We have seven new baby chicks. And this is all new to this city girl. I lost one baby chick last night. Not sure why. Broke my heart. Blamed myself. I understand this happens. Looking forward to this new venture though. I love this web site. I actually learn how to clean a pasted butt today. The message thread was very helpful. Wait till I share this with the girlfriends from Houston.

Kassaundra is fermenting whole oats only. I feed fermented food and it's just 18% grower with a bit of Calf Manna tossed in. It works best if you do a rotating thing where you take some out and add some regularly rather than just let it set. BeeKissed did quite a bit of research on this, and they showed where optimum fermenting didn't really take all that long. Just make sure the food is wet, like oatmeal after soaking or wetter, and let 'er sit. In Summer I have bad luck leaving it out in the heat. Gnats and flies get to it no matter what I do and it gets to smelling like something died in there a month ago. But in the house, if I keep taking out and putting back, it works perfectly.
Lol.. i go through feed so fast a 50 pound bag MIGHT last a day once they cut back on eating so much...

We live in Wimberley, Texas. The beautiful Hill Country. We have seven new baby chicks. And this is all new to this city girl. I lost one baby chick last night. Not sure why. Broke my heart. Blamed myself. I understand this happens. Looking forward to this new venture though. I love this web site. I actually learn how to clean a pasted butt today. The message thread was very helpful. Wait till I share this with the girlfriends from Houston.

welcome-byc.gif
I am near Dripping Springs so right up the road from you. Do you add Apple Cider Vinegar to your water? I think that and if you can have a warm area and cool area in your brooder is supposed to help with pasted butt.

I have had horrible luck with most organics, and Purina layer the worst of all. Purina is all vegetarian. Chickens are not vegetarians and need the animal proteins. They won't touch most of those feeds, even if that's all they get for 3 days in a row. When a CHICKEN won't eat something for that long, I figure something is seriously wrong with it.
The girls really like the H and H brand, there are no fine dregs in it as part of it is pelleted, smallish, so I'm hoping there will be minimal loss. The feed smells so good compared to the other brands I have been getting, and the dog goes crazy trying to get at the feed (sounds like a good recommendation). Hope it holds up to my expectations.

Welcome to BYC and to the Texas thread. I got my first chicks last September so I know what you're going through. Hang in there, they're addictive.

The girls really like the H and H brand, there are no fine dregs in it as part of it is pelleted, smallish, so I'm hoping there will be minimal loss. The feed smells so good compared to the other brands I have been getting, and the dog goes crazy trying to get at the feed (sounds like a good recommendation). Hope it holds up to my expectations.

celebrate.gif
I'm glad they (and you) are liking it! I'd have felt poorly about the recommendation if they hadn't. But, my gals (and guy) absolutely love the stuff. It was a great find for me. The gal at my local feed store recommended it highly, so I bought a bag - and, the rest is history
smile.png

How Much?

I get mine for about $30/50# bag. I know the other day, KnobbyOaks got hers for $28/50# bag.

King Feed there in Wimberly carries it. You may want to give them a shout and see how much they charge.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom