Texas

Oh, and I guess I didn't introduce myself. We live in NE Houston, almost to Dayton, and I have a large family, well, I guess technically, just a lot of small people--6 kids.

We used to live in Mason (central Texas) about 10 years ago and had I think one of every Bantam there is, and a few "regular" chickens. The bigger chickens were from older, down-home country friends at church, and when I asked them what kind of chickens they were, they looked at me like, "Duh! They're black! Can't you see that. They're for eatin'!" Lol.

We also had some lovely Rhode Island Reds that were hand raised by my kids till they were eaten by the fox, some other chicks till they were eaten by the hawk (snatched from a few feet away in front of our very eyes!), and some larger chicks that were eaten by a determined raccoon that pulled their head through the chicken wire! It's like everything in the world were after my babies!

When we moved from there we haven't had any chickens since, and just recently started back up. A friend (an elderly man at church) gave us some fertile eggs to hatch when he found out we had chickens, and Oh, boy! it's like he's a drug dealer of fertile hatching eggs now. Every time my daughter goes up to talk to him, she comes home with some new eggs. First it was EE, then it was Leghorn crosses, then it was duck eggs, now he's talking goose eggs! LOL! Now I've got guinea eggs in the incubator too, and I have no idea what I'm going to do with a flock of guineas! .

So, anyway, HOWDY to all you lovely Texans!!
frow.gif

I have had horrible luck with most organics, and Purina layer the worst of all. Purina is all vegetarian. Chickens are not vegetarians and need the animal proteins. They won't touch most of those feeds, even if that's all they get for 3 days in a row. When a CHICKEN won't eat something for that long, I figure something is seriously wrong with it.

Um...I'm getting confused reading this.  Could you clarify what you are saying?  Organics do not mean "no meat"...H

I think what galanie is saying this that the " organic" food she has available does not have animal protein, it uses soy bean, instead of animal product for protein.  Not that all organic is bad, but the ones available at the local feed place are using proteins other than animal and chickens need animal protein.
Yes, that is what I meant. I know that not all organics are also vegetarian. But the ones I have available here are, and not only that but are old because the price is so high not many will buy it. So double whammy against those. The Purina is fresh but they seriously will NOT touch it. I held off all treats and even scratch and they still barely touched it. So I ended up putting most of the bag in the compost, thinking the squirrels would be eating it.NOPE. They'll eat the other when it's left out but not this stuff.

To restate it, I didn't make it clear but I know not all organics are vegetarian, and Purina is not organic but is vegetarian. In any event, I'm just feeding MG feed. It's fairly local, it's fresh, and I have good luck with it. And it's relatively inexpensive even at $18 a bag.

Oh, and I guess I didn't introduce myself.  We live in NE Houston, almost to Dayton, and  I have a large family, well, I guess technically, just a lot of small people--6 kids.

We used to live in Mason (central Texas) about 10 years ago and had I think one of every Bantam there is, and a few "regular" chickens.  The bigger chickens were from older, down-home country friends at church, and when I asked them what kind of chickens they were, they looked at me like, "Duh! They're black! Can't you see that.  They're for eatin'!"  Lol. 

We also had some lovely Rhode Island Reds that were hand raised by my kids till they were eaten by the fox, some other chicks till they were eaten by the hawk (snatched from a few feet away in front of our very eyes!), and some larger chicks that were eaten by a determined raccoon that pulled their head through the chicken wire!  It's like everything in the world were after my babies!

When we moved from there we haven't had any chickens since, and just recently started back up.  A friend (an elderly man at church) gave us some fertile eggs to hatch when he found out we had chickens, and Oh, boy! it's like he's a drug dealer of fertile hatching eggs now.  Every time my daughter goes up to talk to him, she comes home with some new eggs.  First it was EE, then it was Leghorn crosses, then it was duck eggs, now he's talking goose eggs!  LOL!  Now I've got guinea eggs in the incubator  too, and I have no idea what I'm going to do with a flock of guineas! .

So, anyway, HOWDY to all you lovely Texans!!  :frow

:frow Howdy! Another Houstonian here. On the west side. No eggs or chickens available but some day.. lol.

By the way, I bet chickletteSarge isn't far from you..

Last edited:
Yes, that is what I meant. I know that not all organics are also vegetarian. But the ones I have available here are, and not only that but are old because the price is so high not many will buy it. So double whammy against those. The Purina is fresh but they seriously will NOT touch it. I held off all treats and even scratch and they still barely touched it. So I ended up putting most of the bag in the compost, thinking the squirrels would be eating it.NOPE. They'll eat the other when it's left out but not this stuff.

To restate it, I didn't make it clear but I know not all organics are vegetarian, and Purina is not organic but is vegetarian. In any event, I'm just feeding MG feed. It's fairly local, it's fresh, and I have good luck with it. And it's relatively inexpensive even at $18 a bag.

That's a great price! I pay half again as much for what I can get. I've not seen MG feed. What's in it?

Was hoping you would jump in :D Where have you been? I have a bag of calf manna, maybe I should throw in a little of that also.  Yep, learned about the Fermenting feed from BeeKissed on the "Old Timer Thread", then on "Fermenting Feed Thread", now I am still reading "The Road Less Traveled" thread, on page 452 finally.  Lots of GREAT advice! 
HI! Well since the starter of those threads no longer frequents this site, it really hasn't been as interesting as it used to be. Don't care for the "new OT thread" at all so I haven't even looked at it since it had only 3 pages. I do still follow this thread and the Orpington ones though. Getting more social now too since I have some stuff round her squared away a bit.

Last edited:
okay guys I will have some broad breasted bronze poult coming in at the beginning of March anybody interested in a few I'm ordering more than I need! pm me if interested.

Back
Top Bottom