Texas

Anyone have trouble with rats.
They dig under the fences to get to the feed. I put out rat poison and they don't touch it. It's been laying right there for two days.
Frustrating!
I had some rats coming into my barn to eat the horse chow and nest in the hay. I put traps out along the wall an sprinkled the chow tha they were after on and around the traps within a couple of days I was successful. They are wary of new things. I don't use poison because they may die where one of my dogs could get to them.

I had some rats coming into my barn to eat the horse chow and nest in the hay. I put traps out along the wall an sprinkled the chow tha they were after on and around the traps within a couple of days I was successful. They are wary of new things. I don't use poison because they may die where one of my dogs could get to them.
My dogs kill them but they don't eat them. I might try some traps though, maybe bait them with layer crumbles.

Anyone have trouble with rats.
They dig under the fences to get to the feed. I put out rat poison and they don't touch it. It's been laying right there for two days.
Frustrating!
Hi! We have RATS and they are big! The one that ate the poison and died was at least 10" long and super fat! We put several pieces of poison out before he (or they) died.

I have heard if you plant mint around the coop, it would help. We are trying the bucket trap. Here is the video for it:

Lisa :)

Had a rattlesnake in the coop today. I'm in there with head phones signing away. I was gathering eggs and went into the run to make sure there weren't any eggs on the ground and noticed guineas and chickens circled around something. Mean while I'm still signing lol. Looked over and noticed it was a snake. I'm hurrying to get my butt out of there and get a gun. I got back out there and shot its head clean off. Later noticed that my best blk sex link was dying. Question is would the guineas of killed it on there own.

Hello.
welcome-byc.gif
Tells us about your chickens. We're nosy.

Why that sounds just like my household! lol My 3 daughters keep up on everything we do. As for chickens, none of them have any sort of real names. The girls have given them psuedonames. they're all egg layers though. 1 Buff Orpington (Golden Greek), 3 Americaunas (I think, I'm tired and could have that all wrong. lol) 2 browns/blacks and a white (called Quicksilver by the girls and Racing Chicken by hubby) she is really quick. Then there's the 2 Production Reds, mellow and great layers and the Plymouth Barred Rocks we thought one was a rooster for awhile as her comb is rather large, and last are the little black bantams, their eggs are so tiny, but they are the sweetest and a great alarm system. We just got 14 Bourbon Red turkeys as well, 4 juveniles and 10 poults about 8-10 weeks old. There's a goat in the field as well, but he's going to freezer camp soon. He head butted my knee today.

I had some rats coming into my barn to eat the horse chow and nest in the hay.  I put traps out along the wall an sprinkled the chow tha they were after on and around the traps within a couple of days I was successful.  They are wary of new things.  I don't use poison because they may die where one of my dogs could get to them.

the way I understood it was if a rat dies after it eats the poision the poision works a lot faster and stronger thru the predatory animals GI tract.... rat poision and pets... bad bizz...

the way I understood it was if a rat dies after it eats the poision the poision works a lot faster and stronger thru the predatory animals GI tract.... rat poision and pets... bad bizz...

Exactly true. And its hard to catch early enough for a nice positive survival chance I try very hard to not use it. However some times you just have too. And you keep an extra watchful eye on pets.

Back
Top Bottom